Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Kids Mysteries

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (last edited Apr 30, 2009 11:13AM) (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments hi there:

My son loves mysteries and we are always on the lookout for some new ones. Here are the ones that we have read and loved so far:

Young Mystgeries:
Nate The Great
The High-Rise Private Eyes #1 The Case of the Missing Monkey
Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds
Jack Russell Dog Detective Library Edition

For a little older:
How Come the Best Clues Are Always in the Garbage? (Stevie Diamond Detective series (set in BC Canada))
Legend Of Skull Cliff(Cabin Creek Mysteries)
The Secret Seven
Mystery of Monster Mountain (Alfred Hitchcock presents the Three Investigators)
The House on the Cliff (original Hardy Boys)
And the Bobbsey Twins

Ones we are about to read:
Doyle & Fossey Science Detectives Case of the Mossy Lake Monster Case of the Mossy Lake Monster

Ones that we felt were OK:

The Case of the Missing Cats (The Dragon Detective Agency)
The Boxcar Children I know its a classic but he just didn't get into them...

So what ones are we missing that would appeal to a boy? He definitely seems drawn to the older ones. We tried a newer Hardy Boys as well as the Clues Brothers but he didn't like th language as much as he does with the old classics.

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments Abigail wrote: "Shannon: do you think he would enjoy Chasing Vermeer, and the various sequels? They are art-related mysteries set in Chicago - the first one dealing with a forged painting. I thought ..."

Both sounds pretty interesting for him. He is 7 so they would be read-alouds. The historical stuff sounds good as we don't shy away from it (especially since it is read alouds) and it gives us a chance to talk about some pretty interesting issues. Thanks for the suggestions. I had never heard of either.

message 3: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Apr 30, 2009 09:26AM) (new)

Kathryn | 6181 comments Mod
Have you checked outThe Mysterious Benedict Society ??? I enjoyed that one and the protagonist is a boy but it's kind of a team cast. Here is a copy of my review if you want to skim it :-)

My initial impressions were overwhelmingly enthusiastic. I admit that the second half of the book did not quite live up to my hopes/expectations but I'd still give the book four stars overall (five stars for the beginning). I felt that the second half of the story (once the children officially embark on their mission and become The Mysterious Benedict Society) was not as captivating, mainly because I found a great deal of the charm in the first half was found in the character descriptions/development and the little mysteries and puzzles the children had to solve. Once they embark on their mission, the characters they encounter become more one-dimensional and also the character development of the children is rather forgotten for awhile in the attempt to describe the great mystery/challenge they must face and thwart (and, also, I was not ultra-engrossed in that particular element of the story). Ultimately, the climax was still interesting and exciting and it had a very tidy and happy ending (much more a typical "children's book" in that respect than, say, Harry Potter) and I would recommend this to those wishing a pleasant and easy read (though a few of the puzzles in the beginning weren't that easy for me!) about a diverse and entertaining group of orphans who must save the world and find a way to feel loved and to belong in it if they do.

message 4: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

You might also try the Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detectivebooks. I haven't read them yet, but they are right in your age bracket and I believe they are oldies.

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments I have not heard of the Mysterious Benedict Society and will look that one up. My son likes the team approach.

How did I miss Encyclopedia Brown?! We only have about 10 in our bookcase. They are fun and my son loves trying to figure out each mystery. We both enjoy that they are short and that you have to use your own knowledge to "get" the clues. Its fun that the answers are separate.

Wow, thanks everyone for such great suggestions. I hope others are getting some use out of this topic as well.

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments I have also forgotten another bunch of mysteries by Canadian author Eric Wilson. These ones are for a bit older (to me at any rate) because some of the crimes are a bit more adult - like murder. Here is an example Code Red at the Supermall A Tom & Liz Austen Mystery This one is set in West Edmonton Mall.

message 7: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 44 comments You also might find some mystery titles/series you like at this thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 8: by Jennifer (last edited May 01, 2009 08:48AM) (new)

Jennifer Morrill I loved The Myserious Benedict Society and there is a second book The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey I think it is titled....

My daughter's love the A to Z mysteries, but they are 7 and 5.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily | 61 comments Does anyone have any recommendations for good picture book mysteries? We're doing the letter "D" next week in my preschool class, and I've decided that the theme of the week will be "detective." I'm looking for anything that fits along with that that I can read at storytime.

Thanks! :)

message 10: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Well, I am not sure if you mean books with a detective character, but there are books where the kids can be detectives, like the "Look-A-Likes" and "I Spy" series where they have to find hidden images.

There is also the Nate The Great series. He is a boy detective and I read the Valentine book and it was very cute and pretty easy mystery to guess.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily | 61 comments Detectives, mysteries -- any picture books along those lines.

Thanks for the suggestions so far :)

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments High Rise Private Eyes might fit the bill.