Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Red Headed Stepchild - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Discussion to start May 1st. Spoilers be here.

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Haven't started this one, but can't wait. I've heard such great things about it. And the cover is pretty dramatic looking.

I'll be starting in a few days

message 3: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments I just finished the first chapter of it. Oh my. I'm going to like this Sabina. She's got a little Anita Blake in her.

message 4: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments Oh Gawd! the demon- I think this is the first book that made me laugh out loud.

message 5: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments Oh sh*t!! now he's naked and I'm crying- if I keep laughing, I don't think I can finish this book.

message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments actually, come to think about it, I have laughed before- anybody remember Bob the cat from the Sookie Stackhouse series?

message 7: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne i'm going to read this at some point this month::Yes i remember BOB from the Sookie books::don't think he was too impressed about being a cat::didn't he scarper as soon as he reverted to being a human::

message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments I really enjoyed the humor Ms Harris put in there with the Bob the cat side story- I'm hoping Sookie adopts one of Bob the cats kittens.

message 9: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments Great! and now there's a fairy. I love it. I could completely understand- I'm all for a positive outlook but some people are TOO happy- you want to just hit them.
I wonder how the fairy and the demon are going to get along.

message 10: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments I love this woman's turn of phrase: "The last thing I needed was a nymph with sunshine coming out of her ass tagging along with me."

message 11: by Irene (last edited May 04, 2009 01:10PM) (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments I can see that Sabina is going to have a change of heart regarding her allegiances but I'm still not liking Clovis.

message 12: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments "He blew out a breath, making the towel sag a little. I held my own breath hoping to get a glimpse of the
Promised Land. "

message 13: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments The book was fantastic- Y'all better get reading.

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Ah I know, I have two other books to read for May and then I can read this one! Can't wait.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (ofearna) not reading these... just letting ya'll know I picked up this book while in B&N Tues to pick up Dead & Gone, so it's on my TBR shelf...

message 16: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) Irene wrote: ""He blew out a breath, making the towel sag a little. I held my own breath hoping to get a glimpse of the
Promised Land. "
"

I LOVED that quote.

I just finished and I really enjoyed the book. There was just the right amount of action, humor, twists & turns and romance. Ok, I could have handled more romance - Adam is a great male character.

I never really liked Clovis - maybe it was his name - but he seemed off to me the whole time, like he was hiding something which I guess he was.

I'm also looking forward to hearing more about this prophecy. Can't wait for the next book!

message 17: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I want to read this book, but I'm not into PNR's right now, so I think I might put it on hold. I wouldn't want to read it while I'm not in the mood and end up disliking it or something.

I'm on a Nora Roberts kick right now.

message 18: by Nichole (DirrtyH) (last edited May 13, 2009 04:04PM) (new)

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Shanon wrote: "I never really liked Clovis - maybe it was his name"

Lol - I totally assumed Clovis was a girl for a good chunk of the beginning. (A very old girl that looked a lot like Bea Arthur from the Golden Girls.)

I'm still only about 100 pages in (okay, 94.) I'm liking it okay, but it just hasn't grabbed me. I expect to give this 3 stars when I'm done. An adequate urban fantasy story, but nothing great. A series I'll continue to stick with (unless, of course, it totally pisses me off at some point), but not one I'll ever fall in love with.

Also - I like her demon friend/cat, but the whole thing just seems a little too much like Aisling Grey and her demon dog Jim. I don't want to flat out say Wells ripped it off, I'd like to give her more credit than that, but even if it was a totally original idea on her part and she's honestly never even heard of Katie MacAllister, I have a hard time fully enjoying it because it doesn't feel original. I just keep thinking "yep, just like Jim."

message 19: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (readingfairytales) Nichole, my thoughts on the book mirrored yours almost exactly. I could have written your second and third paragraph.

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I just finished the book. I definitely enjoyed it, but I also had similar reactions about similarities between some aspects of the story and Aisling Grey.

But I still thought that the character of Sabina was intriguing. She's sarcastic and witty and can kick ass. I also liked the interactions between her character and Adam. A little sexual tension is always good, hopefully to be resolved in the next book.

Overall, I enjoyed it, it wasn't anything spectacular but I will definitely read the next two in the series.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I agree, Jess.
I finished it over the weekend, and I ended up liking it more than I expected to. The first half kind of turned me off because I felt like nothing about it was original at all. The characters and storyline all felt very "typical urban fantasy" to me, and there wasn't much to make it stand out. And the small things that were different made me roll my eyes - like the "all vampires have red hair" thing, or all the "blood hookah" they were smoking.

But it definitely picked up, and I liked Adam a lot. I still felt like it wasn't anything new, but she kept the pace up in the second half so it was fun to read at least. I will probably read the next books as well.

message 22: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah I'm kind of just interested to see what happens between Adam and Sabina.. but that's just the romantic in me wanting a HEA lol. :)

message 23: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (jac8604) | 5 comments Hey everyone! Check out my review of Red-Headed Stepchild at my blog - Undercover Book Lover. There are also other reviews and info on several contests. It's a new blog and I'm trying to drum up support. Thanks!

message 24: by Kaz. (new)

Kaz. Well I'm running a bit late reading this book and I'm about a quarter of the way through and loving it so far, I'm enjoying Sabina's attitude.

message 25: by Kaz. (new)

Kaz. I had to laugh out loud when Sabina walked in on Ewan through the back door of the bar.
And the demon Giguhl is pretty funny too with his addiction to shopping on TV, I'm really enjoying this book.

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments lol, that was a pretty great moment!!

message 27: by Kaz. (new)

Kaz. Ok, I'm finished, I LOVED this book it was great, it had a very dramatic ending with the fight & showdown between Sabina and her Grandmother, her Grandmother is such a bitch, lol.
It's a pity that Vinca had to die in the end, I had to have a tissue handy when reading the part at her funeral.
I really liked Giguhl's character and I'm glad it sounds like he will be back in the next book.

message 28: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I liked Giguhl, but couldn't drum up any feeling about Sabina one way or the other.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Melodie wrote: "I liked Giguhl, but couldn't drum up any feeling about Sabina one way or the other."

Ditto. I wanted to like this book, but it felt underdeveloped to me. I've seen other authors do the same thing, but better. It was an ok read.

message 30: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I'm hoping it's just because it was the first in the series and she was trying to set up everything for the next few books.

I always feel like the first in the series is always the worst.