The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Gilmore Girls Discussions > Your favorite Gilmore Girls character

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 16 comments Hey there! I am a total Gilmore addict and I thought we should all share about our favorite characters! I would like to start out by saying I love Sookie! she is hilarious!

message 2: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments I agree - Sookie is fabulous. My favorite guy character would have to be Luke though.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (loveliesdiva) | 10 comments I love Luke, I love his sarcastic comments. My fave moment of Luke was when he pushed Jess into the lake, I cracked up so hard.
Rory is my other fave character, she's so awesome.

message 4: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
What a great question. I'll have to think about this. Of the main characters, I have to say Lorelai or Emily. Of the secondary ones, I have to say, Ms. Kim and Michele. And Paris!!! Paris got the best lines. Man, too difficult. I also loved Lane because she was so freakin cute.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) KIRK!

And Paris, and Sookie and Michel.

And Kirk. Did I mention Kirk?

message 6: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Lane 'cause I'm Korean and she rocks.

Loreali because I admire her as an ideal woman.

Luke because I admire him as a good guy.

Doyle because he was the perfect foil for Paris.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Doyle the foil. Heh.

message 8: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Yeah, I giggled when I wrote that. I'm a poet and don't even know it.

message 9: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 16 comments Ya I definatly agree- Luke is the best guy character!

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz | 35 comments I love Lorelai!!! Her quick witted comments are outrageously funny..... But I also find a kinship with Paris....Trying to be herself though she is not really sure who that is in the beginning.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) I loved Lorelai's sassiness and Sookie's quirkiness. I think that all the female characters were great. That's what, IMO, made the show so amazing. It is so rare to see that much great writing for women.

message 12: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments I've wondered for a long time, what's IMO?

Favorites: Lorelai, Emily, Sookie, Michel, Mrs. Kim, and I actually loved Logan too and thought he was a great addition to the show. And the list could go on...

message 13: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments imo aka imho: "in my opinion", also known as "in my humble opinion".

Completely agree, Olive. Great point about the writing for women.

message 14: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 23 comments Lorelai is my favorite! She is the one I relate to the most!

Then it would have to be
Sookie
Luke
Rory
Emily
Babette
Michele
Paris
Mrs.Kim
Paul Anka

AHhhh I love them all except for Lukes Daughter and Gigi

message 15: by Audreedee (new)

Audreedee | 47 comments I loved Paris. Her meltdown on c-span rocked my world.I also had such a soft spot for Michel. Him dancing to Daft Punk to demonstrate why Lorelai should bring him to Lane's wedding was genius.

message 16: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 16 comments I accually like Luke's daughter, April. Gigi is a total brat, but shes cute

message 17: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) oh boy I really liked just about everyone
but Lorelai is first.
these are not in order
Rory Sookie,Luke,Logan,Lane

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara (oopsreads) | 1 comments first is JESS
Second Lane and the Band. (they serve as one character for my purpose).

message 19: by Audreedee (new)

Audreedee | 47 comments Oh i totally forgot about Zack. I loved him too.

I hated Liz and Luke's daughter.It was the beginning of the end when those two started appearing more frequently.

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments Everyone has a place so choosing a favorite character is like trying to say which kid I like best. I do feel that I relate the most to Lorelai and Rory in some weird way of the two melded together. I think I experienced some of the same things that both women were going through at some point. And I have hamsters. My sister also had a chick.

message 21: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Audrey! I can't believe I left off Zack from my list. I love all the boys from the band...Brian, and of course, Gil. How can you not love Sebastian Bach?!

message 22: by Noraaelisabeth (new)

Noraaelisabeth | 1 comments i love rory the most. i like her because she is exactly the person i wish i could have been when i was growing up.

message 23: by Rauf (new)

Rauf Kirk.
Lorelai.
Sookie.
Michel.
Jackson.
Paris.
Brian.
Gil.
Tanna (only appeared in the 4th season, I think).
Luke.

Rory, too, I guess. She's not that all adorable after she graduated high school.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Ashley, that was Dave. Brian's the nerdy band member.

message 25: by Meghan (new)

Meghan So does anyone else find it funny that "Dave" went to school in California and Adam Brody (who played Dave) then shows up in the show "The O.C."?

message 26: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments So, I just finished season 1, and I feel bad for Tristan.

message 27: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Don't worry Robbie. Like all good "ex" boyfriends, he gets his own WB show! LOL

message 28: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments As Tristan?

message 29: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments Ha! I never made the California connection for Dave. I did like him though...
Who was Tanna?

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin | 3 comments Dont you just want to kiss Kirks adams apple? I just threw up a little in my mouth! My favorite all time favorite has to be Lorelai. The whole irresponsible 'throw caution to the wind' thing is so endearing!

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Robbie, no, not as Tristan, but Cah Michael Murray's on one of those WB/CW teen sex shows... I think One Tree Hill maybe?

Wasn't Tanna Rory's roommate at Yale? The young one who was kind of weird?

Oh that reminds me. My LEAST favorite characters (after Taylor) were Olivia and, oh shoot, what was that other girl's name? Those two idiots Rory befriended at Yale? The one who dated Marty?

message 32: by Amber Gardiner (new)

Amber Gardiner Of course I loved Rory and Lorelei. But as for fringe characters, I loved Lane's band, especially Sebastian Bach (I can't remember his name on the show). I also didn't hate Logan, am I alone in this? He had his endearing moments (smug though they were).

message 33: by Erin (new)

Erin | 3 comments Totally not alone in your not hating logan. I even tried to make my husband call me 'ace' just because it was so cute when Logan called Rorey that!

message 34: by Erin (new)

Erin | 3 comments the whole 'ace' thing didnt take either. in fact it opened me up to weeks of ridicule!

message 35: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Sorry to hear that, Ace!

message 36: by Audreedee (new)

Audreedee | 47 comments I also liked Logan. He could be a total ass but had his sweet moments like when he told Rory to go up to the roof to look at the meteor shower and he was up there.

Tana was really sweet.And who could forget Chester Fleet with his cliche-speaking ways!So sweet.

Sarah: I totally agree about Olivia and the other girl(what's with no-one knowing her name?She's the John-Paul Jones of the Gilmore Girls:))
That whole "boyfriend" thing annoyed me beyond belief. Just call him Marty for crying out loud!!!There's another character that I completely disliked.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah, if that wasn't a completely contrived way to "surprise" us with Marty, I don't know what it was!

message 38: by Liz Jenkins (last edited Feb 01, 2008 03:33PM) (new)

Liz Jenkins (LizJ) | 1 comments I definitely agree about Luke. His remarks make me laugh every time. He is the greatest. I also like Lorelai. She's the second best. I just love how she talks. The script is so great in Gilmore Girls I'm so sad it's over. :(

message 39: by Shaindel (new)

Shaindel | 54 comments Wow...GREAT question. I liked Rory so much, it almost made me wish I *had* been pregnant during that scare in high school. Whew! I'm sure it wouldn't have turned out like Lorelei and Rory, though :-)

One year, I had a whole classroom of students who told me I WAS Paris. Weird. Is there some kind of disorder where gentiles think all blonde Jewish chicks look alike? Maybe that's what happened to those students.

Oh, I know it's off-topic, but Happy news for me! Check it out:

http://www.hotmetalpress.net/2008.html

Hint--look at the Contest Winner's name :-)

Hugs,
Shaindel

message 40: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Amber - Sebastian Bach played Gil. My favorite was when he'd show up in his sub sandwich store outfit. Totally NOT rocker clothes. It went well with Brian's realtor jacket though.

I didn't mind Lucy (Marty's girlfriend) but I felt she was a little too "young" for Rory at this stage of the story. She would be someone I could see in high school or maybe freshman year. But Madeline and Louise were better at playing the cool ditzes. But I give them props for bringing on a second asian girl so Lane could stop being the token asian girl (Mrs. Kim doesn't count). Of course the writing was so sporadic she just was a minor character but then again, so was Lane at that point.

Hippo dari Hongkong | 74 comments Yess.. Kirk! Kirk! and Kirk!
He's tenaciously everywhere!
And followed by Sookie and Paris
And i was quite surprise with the appearances of Sebastian Bach! i'm a fans of Skid Row
And i love when Logan said this words to Rory
"Hai Ace"

message 42: by Arc (new)

Arc flow (arc_flow) | 1 comments Lorelai is my only favorite.
she is complicated woman.
and whatever that happen in the world seem to be enjoyable for her. i like that.

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Hoogterp (noodlemaus) That was DEFINITELY an excellent moment.

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Hoogterp (noodlemaus) I think my favourite character is definitely Rory. I see a lot of myself in her--the heartaches and the constant carrying of books everywhere she goes. Wish I had a rich family to fall back on though. She's a great girl with ambitions. What also reminded her of me is her always knowing what she wanted to do as a child.

Otherwise I love Luke. He's always there for the people he loves, even Jess and his sister--who both drive him nuts.

There hasn't really been a bad character that I thought just sucked in their roll. Michele is great--who doesn't love a vain, snobby, over-sensitive, and sarcastic Frenchman?

message 45: by Tamara (new)

Tamara | 1 comments Hi everyone. I just joined this group (actually just joined Goodreads too), and had to comment on my all time favorite show. Thanks for having this group and post!

So anyway, just been catching up. I love the reference to Rory's exes all having their own WB shows (Dean, Tristan...I guess if Heroes was on the WB, it be a hat trick!).

Now down to business. I'll admit it, I'm totally a Logan fan (until that ugly business at the end of the series. Still don't get that)...followed closely by:

Of course Rory and Lorelei
Sookie
Richard Gilmore (he was always the best foil to Emily)
Madeline
Louise (always balanced out the seriousness of Paris)

Thanks guys for having this group!!

message 46: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments Lucy has a part in 27 dresses for those who crave more GG!

message 47: by Gizmology (last edited Feb 02, 2008 03:39PM) (new)

Gizmology | 10 comments I second Michelle's last one above, I looooove Michel the most! Yanic Truesdale is responsible for most of my "OH my god, I HAVE to hear that again!" rewinds when I was watching the DVD's. After Michel, I love to watch Kirk -- he always says something priceless. And I loved watching Taylor at the town meetings -- actually, I loved watching *everyone* at the town meetings. Of the boyfriends, I liked Dave Rygalski and Dean and Tristan.

I have to say that outside of Luke, I pretty much went through a big hate phase with every single other main character, including both Lorelei and Rory, who irritated me so much I would stop watching for long sections and have to go back and catch up w/ old DVD's.

Jess drove me nuts -- I'm definitely one of those girls who did NOT love the psuedo-machismo bad-boy act. But (and I bet I'm getting ready to have rocks thrown at my head now, sorry!) my most hated characters, hands-down, are easily Sookie and Jackson. Especially as parents! -- those two have to be about the most hysterical, whiny, ridiculously overdone, shrill and annoying characters ever portrayed on television. Well, ok, on a show that I've seen, anyway. I turned off more than one show midway because I was so disgusted by their unwitty repartee, and after a few episodes of the parent thing, I would pretty much grab the remote to f-fwd through any of their scenes in order to be able to keep watching the rest of the episode without losing my lunch. (Hmm...I think I've found something I feel strongly about! ;)

The rest of the characters always won me back, though -- they'd go through a phase, then get over it, and I'd be really happy to go back to enjoying whole episodes. When GG was funny, it was one of the funniest shows ever.

message 48: by Meghan (new)

Meghan All I can Gizmology - you better duck! There is some major Sookie love here!

But I'll back you on the parenting skills (or lack thereof). It wasn't funny.

message 49: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Jones (lissann) | 1 comments This has totally made my night - People who talk about G.G. as it is as much of their daily lives as it is mine. I have all the seasons and it is pretty much all we watch around here. Granted a lot of times it is just back ground noise but I know the episodes well enough that I don't need to watch.

My favorite characters would be Babette, Jackson, Sookie, and of course Lorelei. Although I do have a soft spot for Mrs. Kim and also Emily. I think the greatest thing with the show is the way that the characters compliment each other so well. Honestly, you wouldn't have a Luke without a Lorelei or a Rory without a Paris. Or a Lorelei with out an Emily. The show is so much about the interaction between people that it is hard to pin point one person.

message 50: by Audreedee (new)

Audreedee | 47 comments Gizmology: It's so weird that the one character you never disliked is Luke because I'm totally the opposite. He had his moments but overall I didn't really get him and thought ,on occassions, he was a bit of an ass!

« previous 1 3