Movies We've Just Watched discussion

war games

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (booksandbows) | 1 comments I watched this movie for the first time last week, entertaining and i guess scary. because its quite dated there were many things i laughed at but overall a good, cute clever movie.

message 2: by Barb (new)

Barb | 6 comments This was one of my favorite movies in my youth. Although it's pretty dated now, I still enjoyed it again a couple of months ago (if nothing else but seeing a very young Matthew Broderick).

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) Wow, flashback. I loved this movie as a kid. I haven't seen it in years. I'll have to try to find it on DVD. (And Barb, yay for young Matthew Broderick lol)

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I love to watch dated movies and laugh about the technology. The big shoebox cell phones; the computers as big as a desk.

Matthew Broderick's character is so adorable I just want to eat him up with a spoon. And his parents were a hoot. The girl I always found rude and annoying, though.

This movie brings back my youth. :)

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) LOL about Sheedy's pointed chin. Seems like it was sharpened extra long for that movie. I couldn't remember her name when I was posting. That said, I always liked her and she was in many of my favorite '80s movies: Bad Boys; St. Elmo's Fire; The Breakfast Club. I always thought she was a very good actress. Don't know what happened to her career.

Didn't John Badham also direct Saturday Night Fever? He's Mary Badham's brother, the actress who played Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird. I think I've got all this right. I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

message 6: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (MrazFan) | 19 comments I love War Games & Project X, both young Matthew Broderick, yummy.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ladd (AshleyLadd) | 13 comments This was always one of my favorites. Although it looks dated now, it's still very entertaining - and the thought is scary.

I was Air Force and I worked in SAC underground headquarters - it looked a lot like that. If I'd been working down there - I had very recently worked 3 floors underground in the SAC headquarters back when War Games came out, and if I'd seen those screens light up with all those nucs (luckily, I never did), I'd have fainted.

message 8: by Faith (new)

Faith Quick (FaithBQuick) | 81 comments WANT TO PLAY A GAME!

love this movie! still do! i watch it every 2-3 years! i really wish they would do a remake that still had the same earthy quality and human failure that this one does!

my husbands mom works at norad and he said the depiction of the norad base was accurate in the 80's but soon after they closed off he base "tours" to everyone! wish i could see what it looks like now!!!!

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) "War Games" is a terrific movie. We ran across it on AMC several months ago and my son got really caught up in it. He's almost 13, but he didn't mind the ancient technology. The story transcends the technology.

message 10: by Faith (new)

Faith Quick (FaithBQuick) | 81 comments yeah for your son! i have to say that my nieces and nephews have not been able to transcend the decade differences! it really irritates me actually because i love movies from the 30's all the way to the present and i am willing to watch anything that is well done no matter the decade it was created in! i had a "girls" night with my nieces, i had them watch labyrinth and all they could talk about was how weird the clothes were! so sad! missing the whole point of the story!:(!

message 11: by Bill (new)

Bill | 6 comments War Games is one of my all-time favorite movies. I saw it at the theater when it was first released. It made a huge impression on me. So I was thrilled when it was released on DVD. "The only winning move is not to play" is a great line that I use often.

message 12: by Holli (new)

Holli War Games........what a great movie! We watched that one on constant rotation too when my brother and I were younger :)