Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

We need audiobook shelves!!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (kerbrary) | 3 comments I know there are people out there that think audiobooks are bad, bad influences. I will admit to being anti-audiobooker because I was gun-ho for the old "but I love the feeling of holding a book in my hand." And of course I still do (I still haven't used my Sony e-book reader), but I've suddenly become in love with being hypnotized with listening to an audiobook. And yes I've created an audiobook shelf, but I'm not currently reading! I'm currently listening! If you take off the currently reading, then the book is automatically moved to read! And I didn't finish it! So I just hope there are other audiobook fans out there who are with me in creating a currently listening shelf!

And as a librarian in training (14 more credits left!), I'm all about the downloadable audiobooks from library catalogs. Go overdrive!

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (Kiwiria) | 72 comments I listen to a lot of audiobooks as well, but would actually appreciate not having a 'currently listening' shelf, as it would split the 'books I'm currently in the middle of' up in two. Listening to an audiobook is still reading, even if you read with your ears instead of your eyes.

Just my 2 cents.

message 3: by Grumpus (last edited Jan 26, 2008 04:40AM) (new)

Grumpus | 18 comments I could go either way on the currently listening shelf idea but I have been hoping that GoodReaders would adopt the creation of an "audiobook" shelf as the standard for audiobooks. I have found there are many shelf name variations that folks use for audio and that diminishes its importance due to this fragmentation.

I have an entire thread discussing it at the Audio book group. Many there have now created their own "audiobook" shelves and I continually encourage others to do the same.

You can also check out how I list an audiobook on my profile page. I do it to ensure others are able to distinguish my audiobooks from the print version when they look at my books; either as an update, on my profile page, or as a review.

message 4: by David (new)

David (mugsynoir) | 4 comments I consider listening to an audiobook reading also. So I think if you have a book listed as "currently-reading" and an "audiobook", you've got it covered.

I have an audiobook shelf. I think it's important that the narrator/reader/performer be listed and that may be a category to have right under the three author entries. Some people enjoy reading books read by certain readers, so that would be a good search category to have.

message 5: by David (new)

David (mugsynoir) | 4 comments Grumpus,
Since GR lists the format as "audiobook", have you considered combining the title of your group to be the same vs "Audio books"? When I first searched, I used the format that GR uses, then I noticed in your post, you had them separate.

Just a thought. I suppose 177 people found you, so it can't be that big a deal.

message 6: by Grumpus (last edited Jan 26, 2008 09:19AM) (new)

Grumpus | 18 comments Hi David!

Yes, I've wondered about the whole "audiobook" "audio books" thing for quite some time. I even posed the question but have had no comments from the Audio books group. I will certainly change the name of the group if that's the right thing to do. I'm hoping the Librarian experts here can finally put the issue to rest for me.

Also, I noticed that you have an "audio-books" shelf. Can I encourage you to change the shelf name to "audiobook" to the standard I hope to create? Thanks for considering it.

message 7: by David (new)

David (mugsynoir) | 4 comments Makes sense to me. Done! That matches the form used under "Binding".

message 8: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
The default shelves are flexible, so you can always make your 'currently-listening' shelf exclusive on the 'edit shelves' page.