Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

YA Authors > Sarah Dessen

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Has anyone read anything by her. I read Just Listen and Dreamland. I loved Just Listen, but was a bit annoyed by the main character in Dreamland. I am curious as to what others have read and enjoyed or not.

message 2: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments I love her! My favorite is This Lullaby <3 Dexter!!
I did enjoy Dreamland, I felt that in an abusive relationship it is hard to leave. I've never been in the situation thank God, but I can imagine being really manipulated into staying.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 120 comments I read Someone Like You and Lock and Key buy her, but I want to read more. She is a good author!

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (angelashly) | 23 comments I have been reading her books. I have read This Lullaby, The Truth About Forever, and finishing Just Listen.

I also bought Someone Like You and Lock and Key.

My favorite so far is The Truth About Forever.

message 5: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) I read Dreamland as an older teen and liked it, and then the books How to Deal was based on a few years later. Someone Like You and That Summer, I think.I wasn't crazy about them, but they weren't bad. I got an ARC of Lock and Key when it came out and I enjoyed that. This Lullaby is on my list for the challenge. It has a lot to do with a parent/child relationship, right?

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (angelashly) | 23 comments Alexis wrote: "I read Dreamland as an older teen and liked it, and then the books How to Deal was based on a few years later. Someone Like You and That Summer, I think.I wasn't crazy about them, but they weren't ..."

It does. I think that The Truth About Forever is more about child/parent relationship, but either of them are.

message 7: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crystalperspective) | 13 comments I love everything that Sarah Dessen has written. She is my favorite author. I can't wait for Along for the Ride to come out. My favorite is The Truth About Forever. I love the character Wes in that book. I think every girl needs a Wes in their life.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (angelashly) | 23 comments Just read Lock and Key and loved it. I am now reading Along for the Ride.

message 9: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie | 24 comments Crystal wrote: "I love everything that Sarah Dessen has written. She is my favorite author. I can't wait for Along for the Ride to come out. My favorite is [book:The Truth About Foreve..."

I just discovered Sarah Dessen through a friend's recommendation. I finished Just Listen last week and fell in love with her writing style. I am currently 3/4 of the way through The Truth About Forever. I agree with your comment about Wes. I would truly have appreciated a Wes as a teenager. I would even appreciate an older Wes now! I enjoy the way that all of Sarah Dessen's characters interest me. The dynamic between Wes and Burt is also great. I have noticed that in the two Dessen books that I've read, she makes a point about having options and how that helps to give you a voice. Do her other books have this too?

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela I have read Dreamland and Just Listen. I have most of her other books on my TBR! They are quick reads.

message 11: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey (chelseyblair) | 5 comments I really like her, though her style sometimes leaves to be desired I love her stories. My favorite is Someone Like You, but I also like Just Listen and The Truth About Forever.

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarakd) I've read Keeping the Moon and Someone Like You. It seems like Keeping the Moon isn't as popular as some of her other novels, but I enjoyed it, though I had a few critiques about the character development. I had mixed feelings on Someone Like You--I really liked the premise, but it seemed like the emotional core was with with Scarlett, not Halley, and I wondered about her use of Macon.

message 13: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey (chelseyblair) | 5 comments I think both Macon and Scarlett are examples of Halley experiencing a life not what her mother wants or expects. I think The Truth About Forever does a better job of this, but I liked that the two storylines made the book multifaceted.

message 14: by Charlizechat (new)

Charlizechat | 30 comments I've read The Truth about Forever and That Summer, and I liked them, but I've come away with the feeling that Dessen is a bit of a functional writer, making sorta "grown up" books for younger readers, books that are well-crafted but a tad safe and bland. Sorta 'eat your vegetables' YA.

That said, I'm open to trying her again-- is there a *particular* title that wows people, or shows her range?

message 15: by Krys (new)

Krys (incognerdo) | 7 comments My favorite is "How to Deal." I read it for a Adolescent Literature class and I remember thinking that they never had books like that when I was growing up. It has a very, raw "real" feel to it.

message 16: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Charlizechat wrote: " I've read The Truth about Forever and That Summer, and I liked them, but I've come away with the feeling that Dessen is a bit of a functional writer, making sorta "grown up" books for younger rea..."

My absolute favorite was Just Listen, but I haven't read the books you mentioned, so I can't personally tell you if it shows a range. In another group I was a part of, it seemed to be a consensus that Just Listen was one of her best.

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 234 comments I loved Just Listen and This Lullaby. This Lullaby is my all time favorite, though. Remy was a fantastic character.

message 18: by joy (new)

joy I have been wanting to read Sarah Dessen for awhile, but I wasn't sure if I should start at the beginning with That Summer and read them in order of publication to see how her style has changed/evolved, or just cut straight to the more recent titles which seem to be more highly recommended. Any advice?

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiemacbride) | 14 comments I am a big fan of "The Truth About Forever."

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol Littlejohn (carol50) | 12 comments I loved "Just Listen." It sort of reminded me of Laurie Halse Anderson's book "Speak." I tried "Lock and Key" but didn't like it as much. However, I think Sarah Dessen is a great YA writer because she deals with teenage angst. Because of this post, I plan to read "The Truth About Forever."

message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Definitely read "The Truth About Forever"!

message 22: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (spookybootique) I'm in the process of reading "Just Listen"
I really am enjoying it, it's my first book by her so far.
But I heard the theme for her books are all the same and it can get a little dull. Is this true?
I'll probably still read them anyway.

message 23: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kirsten27) | 53 comments Whitney, they definitely have structural and thematic similarities, but I kind of like them for that. They are well-written, thoughtful, and have a bit of romance in them, and I really enjoyed the ones I've read so far.

message 24: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) So excited to see this thread! I just finished The Truth About Forever and really enjoyed it. I read Lock and Key earlier this year and I think I liked it even better. It seems from reading this thread, that I should put Just Listen and This Lullaby on my list to read. Seems these two are favorites!

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments For my blog I spotlighted Sarah Dessen this month and I am reading her books as well. I read That Summer and I'm working on Someone Like You right now. I'm loving her books and I want to get through all her books. I am a major fan of hers now!!!

message 26: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) May have to put those two on my list also! What is your blog address?

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments Hi Cindy. I just finished Someone Like You and loved it : )

www.myteatimeisbooktime.blogspot.com

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) Great blog Jennifer!

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ รђ๏รђคภคђ  (shoey924) | 17 comments Ok, I'm sold! I'm going to read her next. Lol

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments I hope you enjoy her books!!!

message 31: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (catvanb) I have read and enjoyed several of Sarah Dessen's books. I really loved The Truth About Forever. I found the characters fun, entertaining and well developed. The story was engaging and not too predictable. A very satisfying read from beginning to end.

message 32: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (catvanb) If you like Sarah Dessen's books, try Frannie in Pieces by Delia Ephron. It has a fun fantasy element that gave the story an extra spark.
I also like Deb Caletti's books, Honey, Baby, Sweetheart and The Nature of Jade.

message 33: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) Thanks for the recommendations Cathy!

message 34: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 2 comments Hi! I am new to this group and i am glad i found it. I like to read ya books. I have really wanted to read something by sarah Dessen,but didnt know what they were like, they sound good from every thing everyone has been saying here. Today after work i am going to the book store to pick up one of them and check her out.

message 35: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) Tammy, as I said before, I have only read two of her books and Lock and Key was my favorite. I'll be anxious to see which one you got!!

message 36: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 274 comments I've read The Truth about Forever, which was pretty good. I want to read more of her books though.

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments I second the Deb Caletti books.

message 38: by Roshini (new)

Roshini Hi everyone, I'm new to this group. I started with 'The Truth About Forever' and I've been hooked to Sarah Dessen's books ever since. Just finished Lock and Key, and really enjoyed that as well, though it seems that I'm still partial to the first one I read. I've put Dreamland on my to-read list, what's your take on that book?

message 39: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Dreamland was not one of my favorites. I think my problem was with the character, not the book or the writing though. I don't want to say too much because I don't remember what the description of the book said and I don't want to give too much away.

I would recommend Just Listen though, if you haven't read it. I still have to read Truth about Forever.

message 40: by Roshini (new)

Roshini Thanks Vicki, I've read Just Listen already. Have you read Along For The Ride yet? The reviews look good, haven't managed to get a copy though.

message 41: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I haven't but it does look good. I usually check out what's in the library, because I read them way too fast. I'll check it out and if you do get to it, I'd love to hear what you think about it.

message 42: by Roshini (new)

Roshini Will do. I read so many of her books in a row. Now I'm at the edge of my seat waiting to get the next one. Aside from How To Deal, have any of her other books been made into movies?

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments No the only movie is just how to deal that is based on That Summer & Someone Like You.

I'm reading The Truth About Forever and totally loving it. I'm so enjoying my Sarah Dessen month : )

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 7 comments I adore Sarah Dessen!! She is such an inspiration to me. My whole life changed when I read This Lullaby... and I know that sounds crazy dramatic, but it's true :)

So I'd recommend all of her books, but especially This Lullaby.

message 45: by Roshini (new)

Roshini Tell me about it...I'm still thinking about The Truth About Forever and I finished it like a month ago! I liked Lock and Key as well, have you read that?

message 46: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments I know right...her books are amazing. I really wished I discovered them when I was in high school.

message 47: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kirsten27) | 53 comments I was thinking the same thing....only they weren't written yet when I was in high school! :o)

message 48: by Roshini (new)

Roshini I've started on Dreamland. I know it's not as popular as some of the others, but I couldn't resist.

message 49: by Perla (new)

Perla I've read Just Listen, This Lullaby, The Truth About Forever, Lock and Key. The Truth about forever is my favorite. I Love WES!

message 50: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments awwww Wes <3

« previous 1