Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Favorite traditonal Romance writers

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I don't read that much in this subject area, but I'm starting to branch out and see what I like and don't like. So I was looking for some suggestions. I've read Sandra Hill and I love her, and I've read some Nora Roberts. But that's about it.

Any suggestions?

message 2: by Kelley Anne (last edited May 06, 2009 01:27PM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Are you just looking for romance writers, or other genre's as well. If you like action/suspense thrillers, I would recommend Vince Flynn. He is one of my all time favorite authors!

message 3: by Yz the Whyz (last edited May 07, 2009 09:27AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments Jess,

What do you mean by "traditional" romance writers? Are you talking about someone who writes "contemporary", "historical", "romantic suspense", etc? You'll probably get more ideas if you specify the genre, unless I'm misunderstanding the question.

Shazzy,

I love Susan Elizabeth Phillips, especially the Chicago Stars series. If you enjoyed Match Me If You Can, I highly recommend you read the entire series. Just totally great books.

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Oo sorry everyone, I didn't see that people had responded to this! lol. Too many threads and too many groups haha.

Yes I was referring to contemporary romance, or romantic suspense. I'm not that big a fan of historicals. From what I've seen they can be done really well, or really bad! lol.

I've been hearing a lot about Susan Elizabeth Phillips recently, I'll have to look into it.

message 5: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) Jess, Catherine Anderson is also a really good Romance author. I loved all of her books.

message 6: by Yz the Whyz (last edited May 08, 2009 04:58PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments I love Susan Elizabeth Phillips, so her books would be an auto-read for me.

Another author that I will pick up would be Jayne Ann Krentz, whether she is writing contemporary, historicals as Amanda Quick and futuristic as Jayne Castle.

For romantic suspense, I would read anything written by Suzanne Brockmann.

message 7: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments Shazzy wrote: "Yz wrote:"Shazzy,

I love Susan Elizabeth Phillips, especially the Chicago Stars series. If you enjoyed Match Me If You Can, I highly recommend you read the entire series. Just totally great boo..."

Shazzy,

You should read the next book after Match Me If You Can. Natural Born Charmer, Dean's book, is just lovely, and the first 2 chapters have me laughing in stitches. I mean, he found the heroine dressed as a badger walking down the road..you can just start with that...LOL

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments oo thanks for all the new names everyone! Everyonce in a while, a person need a break from the vampires and weres and such.

I almost feel like I'm running out of PNR authors lol.

message 9: by Yz the Whyz (last edited May 09, 2009 09:22AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments I can't read the same genre for so long without overdoing it. I rarely even read a series one after the other before I burned out an author.

So I need a good variety of books when I read, so taking a break from PNR is not a bad idea.

message 10: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne i don't normally read modern romance novels::but::in an attempt to get my fix of The Warden (aka Jessica Bird) i borrowed one of her romances from the Library::and have to say that enjoyed it that much i've put in a reservation for all the other ones they have::

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) I recommend Cherry Adair for romantic suspense. I also read some good contemporaries by Lori Foster-the Buckhorn brothers series. The first 4 were really good.

message 12: by Clorinda (new)

Clorinda | 31 comments Anne- I totally agree with your Lori Foster recommendation. I have read most of her books and I like almost all of them.
I must say that when I read traditional romance, I definitely go for historical 80% of the time. I do like contemporary, but I love historicals.

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) I also prefer historicals, unless they are paranormal, erotic, or suspense romance. But those Buckhorn Brothers were none of the above, really, but MMM MMM good.

message 14: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments Lori Foster is a new discovery for me, having read one of her books as a Pick-It-For-Me challenge recommendation. I really enjoyed her style of writing, and will read more of her work.

message 15: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I think I saw a few of Lori Foster, and I remember saying I wanted to read one of hers, let me add it before I forget lol.

message 16: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4055 comments I will not kid you I dislike normal romance, not sure why anyway Gena Showalter has two that I actually finished and thought were funny. They were Animal Instincts and Catch a Mate. And while this is still on my TBR I did get my hands on the Nauti Boys series by Lora Leigh it looks interesting, but I think it maybe more erotica.

message 17: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4055 comments Clorinda wrote: "I must say that when I read traditional romance, I definitely go for historical..."

Have you ever read and of Kresely Cole's historical stuff??

message 18: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I think Cole's historical books are the only ones I've ever really enjoyed lol. I love her writing style though. I read her MacCarrick series. Very nice.

message 19: by Clorinda (new)

Clorinda | 31 comments Dawn wrote: "Clorinda wrote: "I must say that when I read traditional romance, I definitely go for historical..."

Have you ever read and of Kresely Cole's historical stuff??
"

I read the first one in her MacCarrick brothers trilogy. I liked it, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I have the other two and haven't had a chance to read them yet.

I really like Johanna Lindsey. Her historicals are excellent.

message 20: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4055 comments I like classic stuff so perhaps I will try historical romance. Thanks

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna (aknas22) | 349 comments Before I got into Urban fantasy I was a major romance reader.
Carly Phillips is a good contemporary romance author. I second the recommendation for Johanna Lindsey. Other good historical romance authors are Catherine Coulter, Mary Balogh, and Stephanie Laurens.

message 22: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I just read a few books by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and they are definitely entertaining. But I think they are the type of books you can't read in a row because they could become tedious. But I will definitely be reading them in between other books. Very funny.