Daily Diary discussion

LISTS > 1001 books you must read before you die

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Atomicgirl (new)

Atomicgirl | 12 comments I'm trying to make my way through the list, "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die." (Actually, it's from a book that lists 1001 novels recommended by "literary experts.") I don't necessarily agree with all the items on the list (or more importantly, left off the list), but it's something I refer to for suggestions.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is working the list as well and would like to talk about books from that list.

Here's one link to the list:
http://www.listology.com/content_show...

message 2: by Ken (last edited Jan 25, 2008 03:24PM) (new)

Ken Atomic,

There's actually already a group here on Goodreads called "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die." To find it, go to Groups, then use the Search Group box and type in 1001 Books. Eureka! You'll be there (and ain't technology wunnerful).

It has 888 members (Crazy 8's, anyone?) -- plenty to discuss the agony and the ecstasy of overplanning with... only I'm quickly learning that the # of people in groups here means nothing. Many goodreaders never participate (or hardly do) in groups they belong to. They just join will-nilly (not that Willy-Nilly is a group, but they join it, is all). Me, I like to be judicious about the groups I join and not participate in.

Have fun. I would join you, but I have enough problems with my TBR pile. I don't need 1001 more (esp. from "literary experts," of all things).

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (Sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) Onya New England!I think some people 'collect' groups (and friends) so that they look more popular! Also, I don't like other people to dictate what I read....if I like the look of it I will read it (occasionally if I have read a good review too).
Good luck with the marking.

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I bought that book-=-got it for Christmas...It's a neat book in and of itself...it will take a while to read all those books!

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken Debbie, I have the same philosophy. I like to scout out my own stuff. Maybe, as an English major, I've heard enough over the years from the "experts" in literature (professors, critics, reviewers, etc.) and that scared me off for good.

Good luck with it, Ed! Of course, by the time a guy like ME got even halfway through a list that huge, there'd be a NEW 1001 books written that the (new) experts would declare even better (thus, "mustier reads" than the "must reads").

Aye, Dios (as they say in Mexico and a few other places...).

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (Sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) My father used to say that 'ex' meant has-been and a 'spurt' was a drip under pressure, ergo....expert!

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 53 comments I like to pick up books I like and then make 1001-books-you-must-read, cause the experts that make such lists often don't see that some books are avaiable in USA, but not in other countries - not everyone is good enough in English to read a book and not everyone have friends, family or money to get the book.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) not everyone have friends, family or money to get the book.

If your local library is subscribed to WorldCat--and the vast majority of them are--and their policies allow it, you can borrow books from anywhere in the world through Interlibrary Loan. (Unfortunately, mine only allows the US and Canada, so I'm still trying to get my hands on Barak Turna's Metalstorm, which AFAIK has only been released in Turkey...) If you're really after something that sounds good, don't let its unavilability in the local shops stymie you. Your library may be able to dig a copy up.

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (cmevans1) Maybe I'll read them, when I'm older..

message 10: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments I read the list and checked the ones that I read. I think it was 140. Then there is some chart that will figure out how many per year you have to read to finish the list. I had to read 35/year to finish before their prediction of my life span. That would leave me about 15/year of my own choice. That is when I decided I would rather read my own selection.

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 23 comments When I can't decide on a book, I sometimes visit the list to see if anything looks good, but I definitely couldn't read off a list... mostly because once I get started on an author I like, I tend to want to read everything they wrote...

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (Chaoscat60) | 37 comments I couldn't see buying the book, but I found it on-line and printed it out. I will try to read one book a month from it.