Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

YA Authors > Meg Cabot

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments Any Meg Cabot fans out there? If so--which books/series are your favorites?

message 2: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments Everything I've read by her, I've enjoyed. I really like what I've read of the Princess Diaries series, Mia is such a fantastic character!

message 3: by Sara ♥ (last edited Apr 28, 2009 03:04PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments Have you read her other series? The Princess Diaries is actually my LEAST favorite of Meg's YA stuff... Not that it's bad--it's not... but her other stuff... :)

message 4: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments I've read Teen Idol, The Boy Next Door, The Queen of Babble, the first Mediator book, and How To Be Popular as well as Nicola and the Viscount.

message 5: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments Mmm... the Mediator... I loved those ones...

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments I've only read Jinx by her. Does she have some other books that are more fantasy than contemporary?

message 7: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments What's your definition of fantasy? Most of her books are a combo of contemporary and another genre.

*Avalon High is contemporary/Arthurian Legend (which sounds really weird...)
*Airhead is contemporary/sci-fi
*The Mediator Series (starting with Shadowland) is contemporary about a girl who can see and talk with ghosts
*The 1-800-Where-R-You series (beginning with When Lightning Strikes) is contemporary about a girl who gets struck by lightning and can find missing people (so, almost like a superpower)
*She also wrote a short story in Prom Nights from Hell about vampires.

message 8: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) I haven't read anything by her yet. I checked The Princess Diaries out of the library and I own Queen of Babble. I'm hoping that I like her books.

message 9: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments She's got a lot of different types of books, but she has a definite writing style. So if you like her style, but would prefer she was writing about something else, you'll be good...

message 10: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) That's good to know. I love it when you fall in love with an author's book and realize that they have a whole lot of more books written.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 120 comments I have read a couple of hers... the first several in the Princess Diaries series... All-American Girl... a couple others but I don't remember there names. I like her. I have read any of her adult books yet, though.

message 12: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments I just finished Princess Diaries IX... It was REALLY REALLY good! My favorite so far, for sure! I'm getting kind of glad I'm reading the series! I'll get Book 10 from the library tomorrow or Tuesday.... I can't wait to see how it ends!

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 120 comments Maybe I will go back and re-read the series. I was reading it as it came out and it is always hard to continue a series that way... sometimes you just get tired of waiting around for the next book...

message 14: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments I know exactly what you mean...

message 15: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) Not like I need more books to read, but...

I want to give Meg Cabot another chance. I read the first of the Princess Diaries but I wasn't that into it. Is there another Cabot book that fans of hers would really highly recommend?

message 16: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments Teen Idol.... or All-American Girl (a lot of people like that one best)

message 17: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for them at the library.

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie S. Alexis, it's too bad that you didn't like the first Princess Diaries book.

My advice:

1) Clear your mind of the Disney movie version that (in my not-so-humble opinion) did not do the book justice. If you have not seen the movie yet, leave it that way.

2) Go to the library and get the second book. Princess in the Spotlight It's pretty good, and Mia is such a realistic character, even if the events around her are a bit out there.

message 19: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments I really liked the 3rd book, but books 9 and 10 were the best. Still, the series is NOT my favorite Meg Cabot! Meg Cabot KNOWS how to end a series!

message 20: by Tarryn (new)

Tarryn (the_opal_bibliophile) I'm rereading the Mediator series for about the millionth time. I remember when I first started it back when it was published under Jenny Carrol.

message 21: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments I love Jesse! :) Those are my very very favorite Meg Cabot books! Book 6 is amazing, and I really really love book 4!

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen Loved Teen Idol and Jinx...have you read her new Airhead series?

message 23: by Tarryn (new)

Tarryn (the_opal_bibliophile) I liked the Airhead series, but for some reason it was probably the series of hers that I had the most trouble reading. Dunno why, I thought it was interesting, but it was just slow going for me. The last book was probably my favorite.

My favorite Meg Cabot series is probably Queen of Babble though. Chaz all the way!