Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Children's Books > The Phantom Tollbooth

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments I credit this book with changing my life and really sparking a love of reading. I loved the wordplay, I love Rhyme and Reason. I loved the WatchDog, ah, I just love this whole book. This is definately one of my re-reads, I read it every couple of years.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments I loved this book when I read it to my oldest son and I can't wait to read it to my youngest son!

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 120 comments This is an amazing book! I read it in 5th grade and it was probably one of my favorites! Definitely one that I want to revist sometime!

message 4: by LinBee (new)

LinBee I too read this in 5th grade, and try to re-read it every so often. I love this book, it's one of my favorites! I especially love the Watchdog.

JG (Introverted Reader) This is another one that I could only remember loving as a kid. But I did re-read it a couple of years ago and it held up very well. I still love the creativity and the word play. I may have actually "gotten" more of it this time around. You definitely have to pick this up when your book ban is over, Fiona.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (mrsfun) | 89 comments Still one of my favorites of all time. My boys loved it, too.Haven't talked my daughter into reading it but maybe will "force" her to as a summer reading assignment. Oh, I'm soooooooooo mean................

message 7: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments Susan, put the book in a positive context for your daughter, so she will want to read it, maybe if you offer her a reward, such as CAKE! I know I read it because I liked the cover and the title and then fell in love!

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (affie) | 468 comments This was such a fun book! I wish I had read it when I was younger, because I know that this is a book I would have absolutely loved. I was quite surprised at how clever the story was, with all the word plays and everything.

The characters were great! It's a really fun book, and I'm glad that I own this one!

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) JG (The Introverted Reader) wrote: "This is another one that I could only remember loving as a kid. But I did re-read it a couple of years ago and it held up very well. I still love the creativity and the word play. I may have act..."

It's probably widely available in libraries. And it's a quick read. I've read it every decade since I discovered it, and my teenage son has read it a few times too - and neither of us are big re-readers.