Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

YA Authors > Markus Zusak

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Book Thief, I am the Messenger ... Anyone read any others by him? He is a tremendously gifted writer. I'd really like to try all of his stuff.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbez05) | 30 comments I have only read those two but I loved both of them! I've heard good things about his other books, but have yet to pick them up. I really like Markus Zusak - he has such a unique voice and style.

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Book Thief is awesome!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Yes! I think what I love is his unique voice. And what's so neat is Thief and Messenger are so different, you almost can't tell they're written by the same people.

He makes it look so easy, does our Markus...

message 5: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments How was I Am the Messenger? I got the audiobook from the library and burned it to my computer... It's on my MP3 player.... Is it good? I LOVED The Book Thief, but they're COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from what I can tell, so who knows.... I'm excited that it's very Australian...

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Messenger is the emerald, whereas Thief is the diamond. Both gems, for sure, but very different. I really enjoyed the audio-version Sara, but then I love the Aussie accent too

;)

message 7: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments Fabulous!

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Yes, definitely let me know what you think of it!

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments I loved The Book Thief andI Am the Messengerand I am looking forward to reading his other books.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Yeah, he's another one that I don't want to read everything he's done because I don't ever want to be finished reading his books!

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments He's very young so I hope he keeps writing!

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) He's 33, but he sure looks younger on the book jacket!

message 13: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Sara, I also loved the audio version too of I Am Messenger too. I hope you enjoy it.

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 234 comments Oh his writing was so gorgeous in The Book Thief. I just didn't get very emotionally invested in the characters. I want to read I Am Messenger as well.

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments Laura, I really thought he was 20 something!

message 16: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I loved the Book Thief and am very anxious to read I Am the Messenger. I would like to read anything by him.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) This is so great--tons more people I get to push Messenger onto! What more can I ask for??

I really want to read something else by him as well tho.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Beth wrote: "Laura, I really thought he was 20 something! "

I got his age from Wiki, they had his birthdate too, so I assume it's right.

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments I only thought he was young based on his picture! LOL. Boy, he ages well!

message 20: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments Doesn't it seem like most men age better than women? Isn't that sickening? ;)

message 21: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments Oh My I honestly didnt connect it as the same author for both those books. I think I may need to add a new favorite to my list

JG (Introverted Reader) Sara TX wrote: "Doesn't it seem like most men age better than women? Isn't that sickening? ;)"

And it seems that it's not just that they age better. It's that they look better as they age! Just think of how many men look better now than they did 10 or even 20 years ago. It is sickening! :-)

I almost bought I am the Messenger yesterday while I was at a book signing for Water for Elephants. But then my hubby showed up, Sara Gruen showed up, and everything else went out of my head. :-( I have to pick it up soon.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Any Messenger day is a good day, JG. It'll wait for you. Wow - that's great that you got to meet Sara Gruen!

JG (Introverted Reader) My hubby laughed at me. He asked me as we were driving over, "What are you going to say to her? Are you going to tell her you love her book and all that?" I'm not really one to gush at people, so I said no. I got there and it really was just a book signing. She didn't read, she didn't talk about anything, she just sat down and started signing books. I got to her and all I said was, "Hi!" and "Thank you!" with a smile. So much for my brush with fame! My hubby thought it was hilarious!

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I'd be the same way...

:)

Well, unless I met the great Markus. I might have to pinch his cheeks.

message 26: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments Holy cow! I just started I Am the Messenger this morning...

Huh-freaking-larious! Someone start a thread about it. I'm only like a 20th of the way through the book, so I don't know how it will end up being categorized... contemporary... mystery.... comedy... I just don't know, but I love it so far!

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Oh, Sara, so glad to hear that! You can definitely count that in the Challenge as a 5-star read from another member (yea, that would be me). Let me know what you think of the ending.

message 28: by Sara ♥ (last edited May 04, 2009 12:39PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments Good to hear! I think I'm using it for an award winner, though. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to work all the books I want to read in, as the ones I want to read the most are ones you all have recommended (great for 4/5 star reads, top books, etc...)!

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Yeah, always nice to work those award winners in. It seems like they are great in any genre.

message 30: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (affie) | 468 comments I want to read more written by him! I read I Am the Messenger first, and then The Book Thief, and was really suprised by the differences! You can usually feel the author in the writing (I hope that makes sense...) but these two books were so different, with such strong characters and voices in the story that I would never have linked the two if I didn't already know they were written by the same guy! Both amazing books!

message 31: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments i bought the Book Thief a while ago and have been waiting for a chance to read it, so I am going to work it into the challenge. I am excited!

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I agree that the two books are totally different. I'm looking forward to reading a third - has anyone read anything other than I am the Messenger and Book Thief?

message 33: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 274 comments I loved The Book Thief, so I was excited for the YA reading challenge to give me an excuse to get I Am the Messenger. I wanted to read it right after The Book Thief, but it isn't available here in my library district. I just ordered it, and it should be here soon! I'm planning to read it for task 30.1.

message 34: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crystalperspective) | 13 comments Laura wrote: "I agree that the two books are totally different. I'm looking forward to reading a third - has anyone read anything other than I am the Messenger and Book Thief? "

I've read Getting The Girl. It was ok, not great. I Am the Messenger is better; I really enjoyed it.

I'm waiting to get Fighting Ruben Wolfe and The Book Thief from the library.

message 35: by meleah (new)

meleah (meleahreads) I've read all of his books - while The Book Thief and I Am The Messenger are definitely the best, it's worth reading Fighting Ruben Wolf and Getting the Girl. Getting the Girl is actually sort of a sequel to Fighting Ruben Wolf. They are both really quick reads. And it's great to read Zusak in his earlier style. Does anyone know if we can expect another book from him soon?

JG (Introverted Reader) Laura said a new one should be coming out in November. Check out message 14 in this thread.

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments I'm so looking forward to his new book!

message 38: by Luke (new)

Luke | 1 comments Hi im new here. ill be on again later.

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Hi Luke, welcome to Wild Things, esp. if you love Markus Zusak!

:)

message 40: by meleah (new)

meleah (meleahreads) JG wrote: "Laura said a new one should be coming out in November. Check out message 14 in this thread."

Thanks! I'm very excited.

message 41: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments I'm reading Fighting Ruben Wolfe right now. It's interesting so far... Hasn't QUITE picked up as much as it will. I've got Getting the Girl out from the library, too.

I love I Am the Messenger! I just reread it.