Brain Science Podcast discussion

Neuropath
This topic is about Neuropath
Books and Ideas Podcast > Book Suggestion

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (last edited Jun 14, 2013 07:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Hillcoat | 4 comments Thanks again, Dr. Campbell, for providing this space.

I definitely feel like Neuropath is the perfect blend of BSP and B&I and would provide an insightful (if intellectually disturbing) interview for your listeners.

www.rscottbakker.com

message 2: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Campbell (GingerCampbell) | 313 comments Mod
Interesting! I will check it out.

message 3: by John (last edited Dec 02, 2013 05:59AM) (new)

John Brown | 52 comments I loved Guy Deutscher's "The Unfolding of Language", which I think I have already posted about.
He recommended the books of Adele Goldberg on Construction Grammar. Dr. Goldberg is very strong in psycholinguistics and language acquisition in children, which she applies to her linguistic research. She has logged the expressions that her two young children learnt in the early years, and the generalisations they formed from them (the 2-year old child is a little co-variance machine, or so they say).
If you liked "The Unfolding of Language", then I think you will like "Constructions at Work" by Goldberg. It assumes knowledge of grammatical categories, like
V-ing, PP, but after Deutscher I think the reader will not have much trouble with these.

message 4: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Campbell (GingerCampbell) | 313 comments Mod
I haven't had a chance yet to check out the The Unfolding of Language: An Evolutionary Tour of Mankind's Greatest Invention, but I appreciate you reminding me about it, and continuing to share your suggestions.

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott | 21 comments Thanks, John, for mentioning Adele Goldberg. I see she got her PhD with George Lakoff at Berkeley. That means it's possible that she was a TA in a Lakoff linguistics seminar I took as an undergrad there in 1988. It was one of the best classes I've ever had.