Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Issues with Quotes > Hawthorne or Thoreau?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie (just-me) | 54 comments "Happiness is like a butterfly. The more you chase it, the more it will elude you; but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder."

Is in the system, attributed to both Hawthorne and Thoreau. I like it, but I don't know who said it. Does anybody?

message 2: by Carolyn (last edited Apr 28, 2009 02:56PM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments By no means definitive, but ThinkExist.com (a quote site) has this one for Hawthorne:

“Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.”

Edited to add: found it on some other quote sites too - all attributed to Hawthorne...

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie (just-me) | 54 comments So what do we do about the Thoreau quote? 77 people have it faved. Is there a way to transfer them to the Hawthorne? Or combine or something?

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie (just-me) | 54 comments Should I just change the author for the quote? then I could combine it with the Hawthorne one. What do you think?

message 5: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments I'll leave that up to a Super-L

Oh, Rivka, dahling....

message 6: by Angie (last edited Apr 28, 2009 03:04PM) (new)

Angie (just-me) | 54 comments cool. do I need to post it somewhere for them to see?

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44985 comments Mod
I got it. But FYI, any librarian can fix things like that.

Edit the author on the wrong quote to match. Then combine quotes.

message 8: by Angie (new)

Angie (just-me) | 54 comments thanks :)

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Thanks Rivka!

Sorry, I thought it would need a SL to edit it to be the correct wording for the quote, since it had so many followers.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44985 comments Mod
No worries. You'd only need to be a SL to delete it, I believe.