Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #3)
This topic is about Little House on the Prairie
Classics > Little House on the Prairie

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) This is a series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, based on her life growing up. Its not very well written, bless her heart, but its so interesting and captivating anyway! I really enjoyed them as a kid. I love even more the series her daughter, Rose, did:Little House in the Ozarks series.

I think there are tons more now, but those are the only ones I've read.

message 2: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I loved these books growing up, and plan on getting the entire collection.

I know that this series always sparks a huge discussion regarding the "inherent racism" (pertaining to the prejudices against indians) and whether these books are appropriate reading material for children, so I will just say that I would never prevent my children -when I have any- from reading this book. The prejudices in the story were a real issue of the times that they lived in, and I'm happy to say that we have moved a long way past those sentiments. I love the stories, and hope that children continue to enjoy them for many, many years.

Jamie These books were favorites of mine as a kid, but I think the prejudice somehow went over my head back then. Rereading them later, though, it was painfully obvious. I've always found that time period fascinating, however, and I enjoyed Laura's stories. I think my favorite is On the Banks of Plum Creek, but I guess I'm a bit biased since I live near where it's set.

message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) my favorite is These Happy Golden Years, I like seeing her grow up and do things on her own...and she has a pretty sweet love story with Almanzo.

message 5: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) (Gah! I know I said I was going to do work, but I have to respond to this.)

Jamie, you've hit on one of the things that makes me so angry when people rage about the racism in these stories and go on about how they'd never let their kids read them.

Kids rarely notice that stuff on their own. I never did. If my parents had made a big deal about it, I'd have looked for it and it would have stuck in my mind and would have had much more of an impact on my life. But they allowed me to read anything and everything I wanted to read, and then I was free to talk to them about whatever I wanted regarding the stories, so it never felt like a big deal.

My parents taught me not to be racist by not being racist, not by banning books which contain racist ideas that have been de-evolved to near extinction.

Kandice My daughter can and does read these. The racism that seems apparent is true to the time in which the books are set. The fact that a child may notice this behaviour is inappropriate or wrong, is a testament to how far we have come as a species. We DO still have racism, but just the fact that it is offensive in some way in these books, is a good thing.

I agree with Allison as far as favorites go. I liked the later installments.

I loved the show as a girl and can still mist up when certain episodes come on as I am flipping through.

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments These were some of my favorite books when I was growing up. My best friend got the whole set for Christmas one year and I was sooo jealous because my mom bought them for me one at a time!

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments I've taken a class called Diversity in Education and we discussed things such as Manifest Destiny and how racism and misunderstand is perpetuated by this phrase (implies Native American land is empty and that Natives aren't civilized enough to keep their land therefore, we need to steal it). I think Little House on the Prarie is wonderful, but I also believe in a fair and balanced perspective. I think if a teacher uses these books in a classroom, it is only fair to point out the Native American point of view and maybe you can teach your child about bias while they are young, so they learn to question things.

message 9: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) April wrote: "I think Little House on the Prarie is wonderful, but I also believe in a fair and balanced perspective. I think if a teacher uses these books in a classroom, it is only fair to point out the Native American point of view and maybe you can teach your child about bias while they are young, so they learn to question things. "

Absolutely. Well said April.

message 10: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 120 comments This was one of my favorite books growing up. My mom read a chapter a night every night from about 3rd grade till we finished the series. I always wanted to read the other books but I never got around to it. I would love to re-read these, it has been so long!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG I read these books when I was little! I can't believe I forgot to add them to my read books!! haha I didn't think I forgot anything! Will need to add those...

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 44 comments There were among my favorite books when i was younger. I still own almost all of them and plan on keeping them for my children when that time comes. My favorite was The Little House on The Prairie.

The racism definitely went over my head as well like many of you have said. I think that it is just reflective of the time period.

Ahh..a good memory about these books..when I read this when i was little..I remember making my sister play "Little House On the Prairie" with me..we would make a little spot in the playroom and make that our log cabin and I would make us reenact things that happened in the books. lol. oh the days when children had imaginations rather than video games and computers. :) (I'm acting like I'm soo old or something)

Ashley (affie) | 468 comments I absolutely loved these books growing up!! I don't remember much about any of them, because it has been so long, but I remember especially loving These Happy Golden Years. I recently bought the whole boxed set from a book order. My brother in law works at the middle school, and he brings the book orders to me, because I always buy a million books, and that earns him points... Those book orders have some of the greatest deals ever!
I think that it is ok to check what your kids are reading, to make sure that the content is appropriate, but I would never not let my kids read something because of something like this. I don't think I would tell my kids no you cannot read this, it would always be why don't you wait a little while. And that only for books that are older. It makes me sad that some people are so concerned with offending people, that we forbid what people read.
It is really late, and I have been running around with my nephews for a few hours, so I don't know that I am expressing myself the way I want to, but...

I loved these books, and really want to read them again. Maybe I will have to look into the books written by her daughter... I didn't even know there were any others!

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I love these books! I read them as a child, and just a few years ago reread the first 2 books....and let me say they are still really enjoyable! Not many children's books can say that when reread by adults.

Ashley (affie) | 468 comments What did everyone think about the last book, The First Four Years? I remember, even as a young kid feeling like the writing in this one was really different, and I remember just not really liking it. I know that her daughter compiled it into a book from her notes after she died, but what did you guys all think?

message 16: by Jean (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jean | 17 comments I agree with April that there is a need to present a fair and balanced perspective. But I think I would go further than just saying that there's no problem with letting children read such books. I think they should be encouraged to read them, so that their awareness of how cultural norms have changed can be raised. I think it was Edmund Burke who said that those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it - and reading the fiction of a particular time is one excellent way to get inside the viewpoint of the time.

I have real concerns about the "cleaning up" of older fiction. We can end up presenting a distorted view of the past and ultimately denying our own actions.

I just recently reread Little House in the Big Woods because it was sitting on the table in a coffee shop where I was waiting for a friend. It reminded me how much I loved these books as a child. One thing I liked was the detailed way the author explained how they made and did things in the past. Fascinating.

Ashley (affie) | 468 comments It has been so long since I have read these books, but I remember one scene (I think...) that I loved. Laura is coming in from outside, when it starts to rain, and she says that she ran so fast she ran right between the raindrops, and didn't get wet. I lived in WA, where it rains all the time, and I have all these memories from when I was younger trying to run fast enough to dodge the rain.

It never worked... Sigh. ;)

Alexis (alexabexis) I absolutely loved these books as a child. When I was 9 I built my own small version of the Ingalls' home, with 5 inch dolls representing Mary and Laura. I sewed little dresses and made all the furniture and accessories. Wish I had a picture now. As Jean said, my favorite thing about the books was how Laura described the activities and tasks in such detail. It really created a very vivid picture of life during that time. In that sense, her reaction to the Native Americans on the prairie is accurate. I know I was aware of her "prejudice" when I read these, but I also knew that it was a result of the time and the situation. Maybe it was because I was already a little older and I read these myself, but it wasn't an issue that needed to be discussed. I read all of them multiple times, but I think my favorites were On the Banks of Plum Creek and Little House in the Big Woods.

Jamie Alexis wrote: "I read all of them multiple times, but I think my favorites were On the Banks of Plum Creek and Little House in the Big Woods.
"

These two were always my favorites, too.

message 20: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments This is one of those issues that I consider to be people being stupid. These same people who don't want thier children to read books such as LHOTP because they depcit attitudes as they were in that time period complain that history books only show the information that gavernments wanted us to see.

Yes history is written in a very biased manner. Those in power show what they want. It is important for kids to understand where we have been. To see a whole picture.

message 21: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Renee wrote: "It is important for kids to understand where we have been. To see a whole picture."

I agree 100%.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) This is a great series! I read "Little House on the Prairie" when I was quite young, and loved it. I have recently introduced my husband to the books, and he really likes them too. We have read to "The Long Winter" now, and plan to continue the series next year. :)