Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

159 views
Fantasy/Sci-Fi > Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I currently own the first four books of this series, but have not yet had a chance to read them. I LOVE books that include classic mythology, so I really anticipate loving these books.

Has anyone read them? What do you think?


message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie I've read these recently (along with The Demigod Files) and I'm anxiously awaiting the final book in the series, which comes out in early May. I thought these books were great, though perhaps aimed at a younger audience than I expected. They were fast-paced & funny and I think they are very helpful in introducing kids to Greek mythology.


message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I really want to read these soon... I see them everywhere, and have always been kind of curious about them, but I hate picking up a good book only to find out that it's going to be a series and the next book isn't out for months or even years. Frustrating!!


message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie This would be a great time to read it then, Becky! In a few days, all of the books will be out. That's what happened with me and Harry Potter. I didn't want to read it because of all the hype, but I loved it once I finally started. The good thing was that I didn't have to wait; the bad thing was that it was so popular that I couldn't escape the spoilers.


message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I only read the first one, but I really liked it. At first it was a bit hard for me to get into. The writing came off as really young, which is silly to say considering that it's from the perspective a 12 year old boy. However, in my defense I just came off from reading Outlander. Anyway, once I got use to it I really enjoyed the story. I thought it was creative the way the Gods were used and introduced. I agree with Becky it is a great intro to mythology.


message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I know! I hate that... I'm going through the same thing with Twilight. I'm not going to read them until I can read them all (which I guess I can, but I refuse to buy hardcovers), so every time I see any of the words: Twilight, Bella, or Edward, I have to stop reading. *sigh*


message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments These book are great action adventures with something for both boys and girls I think. In Illinois we have different awards for different grade levels and for middle schoolers there is one called the Rebecca Caudill book award. It's a reader's choice. The kids just need to read three of the 20 books nominated for that year and then they can vote. Lightning Thief won this year by a landslide. I haven't read the fourth yet, which I need to because I have to read the fifth overnight so my kids can get their hands on it!


JG (Introverted Reader) I think you'll love them, Becky, especially if you like mythology. I've only read the first one, but it was great. It is written for a slightly younger audience, but I didn't mind that. I got a huge kick out of seeing how the Olympians have adapted to life in the 21st century. I need to borrow the second one from my 11-year-old cousin. She's becoming a good source of recs. :-)


message 9: by Jamie (last edited May 08, 2009 04:13PM) (new)

Jamie I finished The Last Olympian today and I thought it was a really great end to the series. This has been a very fun series, but it also touched on a lot of important issues/lessons (these were often worked in well as descriptions of fatal flaws).




**SPOILERS**
I was a bit surprised by a couple of things that didn't happen in this book, though. I really thought Bessie would play a larger role in this book, but he was barely mentioned. Also, it seemed like Percy's vulnerable spot would be more important in the battle, but it just wasn't (well, except for Ethan not letting Kronos know about it). I can't wait to see what Riordan comes up with next for Camp Half-Blood!


message 10: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) I was working at B&N when these started coming out, and every 10 year old boy who was a regular customer told me to read The Lightning Thief. I was so glad when I finally did. I'm trying to incorporate the 3rd and 4th into the challenge.

Fans of this series might also like The Shadow Thieves Cronus Chronicles Book 1 by Anne Ursu. I read that before The Lightning Thief, and while they use the same premise (Greek myths are real, the gods still exist, etc) it's done in a very different way. It also had a really unique writing style that enhanced the story. I highly recommend it.


message 11: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) The Last Olympian is currently #3 on the Barnes and Noble Bestsellers List. I always think it's pretty cool when a Teen or Young Reader book ends up on there.


message 12: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) A question for those who have read the entire series: Which book would you say was the weakest? Or the strongest? I finished the 3rd, The Titan's Curse, last night and didn't feel it was as good as the first two. I'm hoping this is just because it's the turning point, the center book, in the series. I'm enjoying The Battle of the Labyrinth but some of the same things are bugging me. Just curious about how other people found the series as a whole.


message 13: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments I really loved the first book the best I think. The second was pretty darn good as well and then I too slowed down a bit on 3 and waited a while to read #4. I think that the last book also heats up with action, but I don't think any of them compare to the first book.


message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I, also, have just started book 4. I love this series! It has recharged my love of the greek myths from when I was a kid. I didn't find book 3 weak at all. It is obviously a pivotal turning point in the series, and I found myself so mesmerized by it that I couldn't wait to jump right into book 4. So, no disappointment here! :)


message 15: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) I couldn't put Book 4 down! I just finished it and wrote up my review. 5 stars. Definitely made up for the third one for me.


message 16: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) I know a lot of us are reading this series right now, and I can't be the only one with Greek myths on the brain. I just came across this review on the Publisher's Weekly site for a new book and thought it would be relevant to post it here. I'll probably seek it out after I finish all my challenge books.

The Beautiful Stories of Life: Six Greek Myths, Retold Cynthia Rylant, illus. by Carson Ellis. Harcourt, $16 (88p) ISBN 978-0-15-206184-5

"Rylant (All in a Day) hones six myths into clear, accessible stories for younger readers. Plainspoken and captivating, they draw readers into the sagas of Pandora, Persephone, Orpheus, Pygmalion, Narcissus and Psyche. The stories grab attention with intriguing introductions, e.g., “In winter, when ice coats the thin arms of small trees and flowers die... Persephone can be found among the dead. She is their queen. She did not ever mean to be so, but it happened.” Rylant's observations about the characters and their foibles focus the brisk-paced retellings (“Perhaps it was not love that Pygmalion wanted so much as notice”). At the heart of each is a soul-stealing kind of love that demands extremes from its participants, for example, Psyche enduring Aphrodite's impossible tests to prove her love for Eros. Ellis, illustrator of the Mysterious Benedict Society books, employs delicate pencil drawings to render the characters amid the organic: flowers, fruit, leaves and twisting vines. The small format reflects the book's purpose: to be a pleasurable sampling of some well-known Greek myths, their ideas and morals distilled to their core. Ages 10–up. (May)"


message 17: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassielo) I love Greek mythology, so I was excited to get into this series. So far, I've only been able to get to The Titan's Curse. These books are so hard to get at the library! You'd think they'd get more copies...

I didn't really like the first book, though that may have been because I was anticipating it too much, having had the series highly recommended to me. I liked the second one a lot (because what a cliffhanger, huh?). I did like the third one, but I was not pleased with the anxiety-inducing (to me) ending. I can't wait to get #4 though so I can finally read the Last Olympian (I've been hearing great things about it)


message 18: by Samantha McNulty (new)

Samantha McNulty The first book I read in the Percy Jackson series was The Battle of the Labyrinth, which I got from the library. I then preceeded to borrow number 1, 2 & 3 in the series. My local library (in a very small town, I must add) will not the fifth installment until June/July, so today, I ordered all five from the internet. Should arrive Friday-Saturday.


message 19: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Just started #1, and I'm hooked already!

Will come back when I finish... haven't read any of the messages yet, for fear of spoilers!!


message 20: by David (new)

David (primemover) I've read all five, and loved every one. In the last one, he hints at doing another series.


message 21: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 229 comments I really love this series. Plenty of adventure, I love how the myths and gods/goddesses/mythical creatures are worked into modern times, and Percy's sarcasm and tone are hilarious. I am looking forward to Riordan's next series, to follow this one.


message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura I've read the first 3 books now and really enjoyed them. Its a nice balance of adventure and humor.


message 23: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I was so happy to find this series because I was moved to teaching 7th grade this year and mythology is in the curriculum. Now, I do love mythology, but I am not as knowledgeable about it was I'd want to be to teach it. However, I was lucky to know about The Lightning Thief and I began reading the series thus learning about the mythology along the way. Now I am going to teach the book along with the traditional myths. A great read and resource!


message 24: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Finished book one and thought it was great. (Can't wait for the fil-um!!) Just enough tongue in cheek, not too over the top. Liked the real life family with real problems (dyslexic kid, ikky step-father, hard working mom). Isn't what you expect for a hero, really, but I guess that's why HP was/is so popular too.

Book 2 should be coming soon (another bookcrossing bookring) and I can't wait!!


message 25: by Bhumi (last edited Jan 02, 2010 02:32PM) (new)

Bhumi | 274 comments This is an amazing series. I loved all of the books!

Hopefully the movie is just as good as the novel.


St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| I have read the The Titan's Curse, I enjoyed getting to know some of the mythical characters, (from someone who actually read Ulysses and Trojan Horse legends whle enduring crushing headaches trying to make sense of all the gods and their tricky purposes) so...ummm...*tries to remember* yes I would say it is a good effort although sometimes Rick Riordan takes liberties and mixes characters like winged angels and such. Percy Jackson makes a good half-God and half-hero and I would love to see the first movie, I guess I will wear a bad wig to hide my age cos of all the teens in the series...heehee.

*hums Hotel California*


message 27: by David (new)

David (primemover) Why "Hotel California?"


message 28: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Bhumi wrote: "This is an amazing series. I loved all of the books!

Hopefully the movie is just as just as the novel."


Have you seen the trailer yet? I am furious for the casting choices! Percy is like 16 and it is only the first book!


message 29: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 274 comments Kellee wrote: Have you seen the trailer yet? I am furious for the casting choices! Pe..."

Nope...I'll check it out and let you know what I think.




message 30: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 229 comments Kellee I know what you mean... he looks way too old. But that said I'm very pleased with the choices for the gods and goddesses.


message 31: by David (new)

David (primemover) I've only seen the first trailer, and i'm going to keep it that way! Also, I'm going to try and judge it by itself.


message 32: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) New Camp Half Blood series!!!
Comes out 10/12.
The cover was announced by Rick Riordan today: http://rickriordan.blogspot.com/2010/...
He said it is set in Percy's world and Percy plays a part it in.


message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy So excited!


message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (writers_soul) I love this series:) I didn't know if I would like it as much because I'm not really into fantasy but I loved it and I think it got me to like fantsy more!


message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy This was a great series. Rick Riordan has The Red Pyramid that just came out. New series. And then he's starting a new one with the Olypmians. First one is The Lost Hero.

I'm judging by your screen name, you've read the Cirque Du Freak series?


message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (writers_soul) Amy wrote: "This was a great series. Rick Riordan has The Red Pyramid that just came out. New series. And then he's starting a new one with the Olypmians. First one is The Lost Hero.

I'm judging by your scr..."


I own Red Pyramid just haven't read it yet. Yea I read the Cirque Du Freak series a little over a year ago. Long before I read Percy Jackson have you read Cirque Du Freak?


message 37: by Amy (new)

Amy I'm in the process of reading it now. Just finished book 10, have two more to go.


message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (writers_soul) Amy wrote: "I'm in the process of reading it now. Just finished book 10, have two more to go."

Cool! Do you like it so far?


message 39: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (pwnedkitten) | 198 comments Becky wrote: "I currently own the first four books of this series, but have not yet had a chance to read them. I LOVE books that include classic mythology, so I really anticipate loving these books.

Has anyo..."


If you read and enjoyed the Harry Potter series, then I'd go ahead and read the Percy Jackson books - Riodan has obviously read his Campbell, and knows his stuff when it comes to mythology, so if you enjoy/know STUFF about mythology, he's not likely to annoy you, unlike Rowling, who appeared to just make things up as she went along. The stories aren't similar, and neither is the writing style (Rowling, I think, actually has/had a smoother style than Riodan in his Percy Jackson & the Olympians series) but the "challenge," and adventure quality is roughly similar. Rowling, in her later books, actually starts posing more difficult themes than I've found in the Olympians, but still, roughly similar.

All in all, while the two series are disparate, if you enjoyed HP, chances are, you'd enjoy PJ&O. Now, to read through comments and see if my comment was completely superfluous.


message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy I loved everything about the Olympians series because I love greek mythology. My fourth graders last two years ago did a unit on it and loved every minute of it!

Cirque du freak is okay. I read the first one b/c my brother suggested it, then I kept reading b/c I want to know how it ends. Definitely as Darren gets "older" the books are less child like in writing. I think the big struggle for me has been the fact that 12 books is too long for a series.


message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (writers_soul) Amy wrote: "I loved everything about the Olympians series because I love greek mythology. My fourth graders last two years ago did a unit on it and loved every minute of it!

Cirque du freak is okay. I read ..."


The series was suppose to be 20+ books but Darren Shan thought that as Darren got older kids wouldn't be able to relate to him. I like that it is a long series because I get to stay with Darren and Steve longer:)


message 42: by Amy (new)

Amy 20??? OMG!! That is definitely way too many books for one series. I think the perfect series has maybe four, no more than five books. After that it starts to feel like you are pulling at strings to come up with storylines.


message 43: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 229 comments Unless it's Harry Potter :)


message 44: by Amy (new)

Amy Yes very true. I loved Harry Potter.


message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (writers_soul) Amy wrote: "20??? OMG!! That is definitely way too many books for one series. I think the perfect series has maybe four, no more than five books. After that it starts to feel like you are pulling at strings to..."

For me the more books the better:) (As long as I like the series) That way I get to stay with the charecters longer. I do love trilgys though.


message 46: by Amy (new)

Amy I just read a great trilogy. Well I have one more book to go. Moonlight by Rachel Hawthorne. Pretty good. I'm now finishing up the Blue Bloods series by Melissa De La Cruz.


message 47: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (writers_soul) Amy wrote: "I just read a great trilogy. Well I have one more book to go. Moonlight by Rachel Hawthorne. Pretty good. I'm now finishing up the Blue Bloods series by Melissa De La Cruz."

Never heard of the first one but it sounds good I might check it out. I really want to read the Blue Bloods series, I've heard it's good.


message 48: by Amy (new)

Amy Blue Bloods is awesome. I'm on the fourth book. There's a fifth and then a special extra book. I was hooked because their vampire theory is different than any others I've ever read.


message 49: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 229 comments Amy, I love Blue Bloods too. I thought the vampire mythology was just brilliant—love it.


message 50: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mldavisreads) | 210 comments I just finished book 4, and I'm glad I already bought book 5-- it ended on such a cliffhanger. I really like this series, and I definitely want to check out The Red Pyramid and The Lost Hero when I can get ahold of them.


« previous 1
back to top