Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I'm sure we already have a stress thread, but I'm too stressed to look for it.

We're in the final month of the semester. Final push to get all projects completed, books read, reports written, papers read and graded, student conferences, etc. Crikes! I'm tired and pissed and hungry and somewhat guilty feeling at all times.

But in a lovely way, I love academia.

But when I'm stressed I undergo weird changes. I become really hostile to certain stimuli, I don't eat enough, and when I do I can't stop. I don't sleep enough, and when I do it's for a 16 hour spell like I enjoyed last night. (that might be a lie.)
I'm actually glad we're out of coffee. If we had some I'd be drinking it all day, and probably not doing myself any good whatsoever.

:P

And you? How do you handle stress? Does your life ever stress you out periodically? What happens to you during those times?

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Let's see ... work, bills, money, work ... yeah I got stress now and then.

I often take my stress out on the people I care about the most, for some strange and stupid reason. I think I need help breaking that pattern.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I used to be a stress eater, and I suppose I still fall into that pattern sometime. The tough part about stress, in my eyes, is that I know some practices (meditation, etc.) help, but I still manage to not find time.

What's that phrase, I think attributed to St. Francis De Sales? I don't think I have the wording right, but I think I have the spirit.

"You should meditate (although I think he said "pray") an hour a day. And if you don't have time, you should meditate for two hours."

Working out and getting healthier has definitely helped. So has sticking at one job for eight years and getting to know what I'm doing pretty well.

I was pretty hard on my family when I was chairing two departments and finishing my dissertation. I look bad on that period with some shame, honestly. I've tried to leave that behavior behind.

I think I'm one of those people who has grown so accustomed to the stress stimuli that I missed it/get lost when it's gone. I've worked hard on getting past that the last couple of years. Be careful of that pattern, Sallers...it's rampant in our field.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

yes, it's kind of an epidemic. And everyone feeds of each others' bad behaviors at times like this.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i stress mostly when i feel my time being compressed. feeling like time is collapsing. that is because i can't say no and i over-book and procrastinate so it is self induced stress. for relief i go for drives, walks or shut down to everyone and read. and that puts me farther behind so i have to relive the whole thing over again. like a hillbilly version of twilight zone

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

hee.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I procrastinate when I'm stressed, too, and wait until the last minute to get stuff done. Which means staying up late to finish things.
Fortunately, I love staying up late. And I always, somehow, get it all done in time.
It's weird, the more I have to do, the slower I go. Unless I'm running out of time, and then I'm super efficiency-gal.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori My last job in NY was so stressful since I was responsible for multiple project deadlines and had to rely/nag everyone else to be on time when they weren't. I took all that home with me, and worried all the time, even during the weekends. But I know I became addicted to that stress, and it fed into my need for recognition - the projects were completed because of me me me. I hope I would handle it differently now because I've got my priorities a bit more in line. But I also know I never want another job that includes so much stress, it's unhealthy for me.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You see, I do the opposite as Jackie. I get my ass in gear and get shit done when I'm stressed. I've been grading all day to get it off my plate.

I can relate to Lori's last post.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: "Let's see ... work, bills, money, work ... yeah I got stress now and then.

I often take my stress out on the people I care about the most, for some strange and stupid reason. I think I need help..."

Take it out on me Larry, I have broad enough shoulders and thick skin.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jim wrote: "Take it out on me Larry, I have broad enough shoulders and thick skin."

A very kind offer.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori Hee. Fortunately by now I've learned not to take it personally when Richard takes his stress out on me. I know not to load anything on him when he first comes home from a long day at work, and that he needs time in his "cave" to get civil again. Altho I will certainly speak up and tell him not to take it out on me if he snaps unnecessarily, but I don't make a big deal of it, and he usually pipes down.

He is stressed ALL THE TIME. His leg is constantly shaking, it's so annoying! Part of it is being a 50s child where the man is solely responsible for the welfare of the family and he has his own business which is always an insecure feeling. But I also think he just doesn't know how to live without it! It's that addiction problem I was speaking about - when we live in constant stress it becomes our comfort zone so to speak.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Lori,

I had a job like that, that just completely took up my time, working till all hours of the morning, and had one stretch that I didn't have one day off of work for over a year. Had kids and started looking for a new job, and always made it clear that I would work extremely hard when at work, but didn't want long hours and the ability to leave if my kids had something going on. I've been here 11 years and couldn't work for better people, and now stress doesn't come very often.

message 14: by Ivy (new)

Ivy (theafricangourmet) When I'm not stressed I think something is wrong, my mind looks for problems to fix that are not problems. I wish I could follow the "Don't worry be happy" path in life but that is not my nature.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Wow, Lori, your husband sounds like my uncle.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.