Good Reads Vegetarians discussion

Religion and Vegetarianism

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Letitia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:33AM) (new)

Letitia | 8 comments Hello guys! I just found your group and decided to hop on. I am currently working on a book for vegetarians, and am eager for resources to do my research. I became a vegetarian for health, but also religious reasons. Did anyone else, or do you have any good websites/reads for this topic?

message 2: by Roberta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Roberta (robbi_t) | 12 comments While I can only comment for myself, I think you will find a lot of ethical vegetarians. I don't personally know of anyone who became a vegetarian for health reasons. The main reason I hear people state is that they can't abide the slaughter of innocents for food when there are plenty of other things to eat. (But that could just be my personal experience).

message 3: by Billione (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Billione | 25 comments Mod
Letitia and Roberta: Thank you both for joining this group. I was hoping to have conversations such as this.

I did not become a vegetarian for any specific religious reason. In fact, I don't have a defined religion the way most people do. It doesn't even have a name that anyone could identify. It is, however, a perspective with values, beliefs, and a point of view that is not in conflict with any particular religion but is in a progressing harmony with nature.

I discovered this perspective within myself after becoming a vegetarian for health reasons. The simplest reason was that I wanted to see my 3 year old nephew at age 30. To do that, I felt I needed to change what I put in my body. I went from 310lbs to 205lbs over the course of two years. So, Roberta, the main reason I became a vegetarian was for health. As a result, I became more compassionate about the animals and environment.

message 4: by Roberta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Roberta (robbi_t) | 12 comments Yes, I think that one thing can naturally progress toward the other... in other words, you could have just one reason for becoming a vegetarian initially, but then later, discover that you find different aspects just as meaningful in your life.

On another topic: what I find frustrating lately is the whole "organic, " "cage-free," "natural" foods debate. I want to buy cruelty-free and naturally grown products, but have heard that the labeling is intentionally misleading.

message 5: by Billione (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

One of the ways I tackle the issue of misleading labels and companies that try to trick us is when I find a company that it inline with my lifestyle choices, I stay with them. Brand loyalty may be one way to get more items that are inline with our eating choices.

message 6: by Billione (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Thank you Lilia! I feel that making the change for health reason is part of the reason why I am still alive and healthier. I am working on a program at my school (Eastern Michigan University) that explores the ethics of vegetarianism. I want to share with others that vegetarian diets are the way to go, especially when the most common causes of death are preventable and are directly related to what we eat!

message 7: by Letitia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Letitia | 8 comments Billione, in reference to your exploration of ethics, have you read anything by Peter Singer, or the "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Pollan? Highly recommended for a defensible case against consuming meat.

message 8: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

David Chmelik (dchmelik) | 2 comments The great mystics of the great religions say that ve[getari]anism is necessary for enlightenment and liberation.

message 9: by Sharron (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Sharron | 6 comments I do not belong to any specific religion currently but when I was a child was a member of the Mormon religion. Although the Word of Wisdom, which is a guideline regarding among other things diet, does not mention vegetarianism it does talk about eating in season and in moderation. And there is doctrine regarding kind treatment of animals. My own impetus for becoming a vegetarian was out of ethical concerns for animals. But health issues has always run a close second. I am extremely healthy now despite having had a kidney pancreas transplant. At no time did any of my health providers try to talk me out my diet. I believe being a vegetarian has helped me to do so well since the transplant.

message 10: by Roberta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Roberta (robbi_t) | 12 comments Well, I believe I read somewhere that meat is hard on the kidneys (i.e. Atkins-type diets), so you are probably doing the right thing.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I think one of the influences in my initially deciding to go vegetarian was my interest in neo-paganism and Buddhism. I don't think going veg was necessarily a spiritual decision, but the two lifestyles/beliefs definitely went hand-in-hand in my mind.

Though, over the years I've become more atheist and more vegan... so, I can't say that religion played any lasting role.

message 12: by Ynda (new)

Ynda I did become a vegetarian because of religious as well as ethical reasons. I did have some good websites/sources to support my decision, but I can't list them off the top of my head right now.

message 13: by Joy (new)

Joy (diamanda) | 3 comments Years and years and years ago (I've been vegan a long time, lol!) I read Judaism and Vegetarianism. It was very interesting in terms of a biblical rationale for not eating meat. I initially gave up meat (then all other animal products) for ethical reasons, but not really religious reasons.

message 14: by Letitia (new)

Letitia | 8 comments Thank you Joy. That is very interesting and I have never heard of that book. I'll try to find it!

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3 comments While I'm not a religious person, I found myself absolutely devestated 7 years ago when I read Diet For a New America. I could not understand the needless violence that was being committed just to provide my with a meal that I thought was tasty. How gluttonous. While not basing my motivation on any specific religion, I knew what I was doing was wrong. Animals have value apart from the market value we place on them. On the other side of the coin, how can you be a deeply religious person and NOT see it that way? The way I understand it, dominion doesn't necessarily mean exploitation in the name of profit.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Im so glad to find this subject. I go to a lot of haunted houses and I have a theory that eating meat is related to ghosts. i honestly think that we cannot pass to the next dimension with a corrupt soul and eating meat is part of that.
I dont mean that corrupt is evil I mean that our biological balance is wrong as we have consumed cells of other creatures.
Lol Im not crazy.

message 17: by Lorian (new)

Lorian | 3 comments I didn't become a Vegan BECAuSE of my religion, but I find that (despite what people who don't really know what they're talking about say) Veg-ism and Christianity compliment each other very very well.

message 18: by Kenzi (new)

Kenzi (kenzi52106) | 2 comments I did not become a vegetarian for religious reasons. I am a vegetarian because I feel bad about killing those sweet innocent animals. It makes me feel like I am murdering them if I eat meat. It is so sad. I don't want them to die.

message 19: by Kenzi (new)

Kenzi (kenzi52106) | 2 comments I read in a very religious book that said animals were put on the earth for our use. But I dosen't say we have to eat them. We can use them as our friends or pets. I also read in the book that it said meat should only be eaten during times, of famine and starvation. And If any of you are of a religion. This was from the bible. I am a member if the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints.

message 20: by Suchin (new)

Suchin | 5 comments Fine if for you it is your religion, so much the better.
But religion and being a vegetarian have absolute nothing to do with each other. Only a nut will think so. Your enlightenment for your own health, the resources and poising of our planet should be the main reason that you are drawn to this lifestyle.

message 21: by Billione (new)

Suchin wrote: "Fine if for you it is your religion, so much the better.
But religion and being a vegetarian have absolute nothing to do with each other. Only a nut will think so. Your enlightenment for your own h..."

I wouldn't say they have absolutely nothing to do with each other. The simple fact that some get their moral identity from religion and that moral identity can cause them to question whether or not eating meat is right or wrong is reasonable.

To say that you choose to no rely on your religion to come to that same decision would be more accurate.

Thanks for commenting, though.

message 22: by Billione (new)

Letitia wrote: "Billione, in reference to your exploration of ethics, have you read anything by Peter Singer, or the "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Pollan? Highly recommended for a defensible case against consuming meat."

Letitia:

I cannot believe I did not see this post. It has been a very long time. I apologize. To answer your question. I have been looking for a Singer book at the library. Since books cost so much, that is where I spend my time, but the book by Singer that I want is not owned by the library.

I have seen Omnivore's Dilemma, but have yet to pick it up. Thank you!

message 23: by Billione (new)

Just to add. We should stop trying to define the world for everyone else, an not deal in absolutes. Share your experiences and allow others to be inspired is in my opinion the best way to operate.

message 24: by Mina (new)

Mina Lumiebre (mlumiebre) | 8 comments I think it is a good thing when religions do advocate being a vegetarian. The more vegetarians in the world, the better, and if it religion plays somewhat of a part in this I don't have anything against that. I think becoming a vegetarian is an admirable thing no matter what caused it.

Emily ♥ monkeys | 14 comments I have been a vegetarian ever since I was born due to my parents. My entire family (at least almost everyone...) are vegetarians due to religious reasons and also health and because we are for animal rights.

Hmm...Leticia I know of some websites but I'd have to go and find it...I'll get back on you about this

message 26: by Suchin (new)

Suchin | 5 comments If the right wing religious nuts can jump on the vegetarianism band wagon so much the better. Then at least they got ONE thing right.

Emily ♥ monkeys | 14 comments ....

message 28: by Billione (new)

Suchin wrote: "If the right wing religious nuts can jump on the vegetarianism band wagon so much the better. Then at least they got ONE thing right."

LMAO!

Emily ♥ monkeys | 14 comments thats great! keep it up and continue being a vegetarian, its great :]

theres tons of great food u can still eat

message 30: by Jess (new)

Jess | 1 comments I'm an atheist and became a vegetarian for several reasons: Health, Environment, and Animal Rights.

Emily ♥ monkeys | 14 comments thats great that your a vegetarian....im trying to be a vegan but its so hard!

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3 comments I miss meat; but there is no way I can eat it knowing how animals are treated. The torture and slaughter of innocents weighs heavy.

Emily ♥ monkeys | 14 comments I havent read it but I'll definitely look into that, thanks for sharing :]

Emily ♥ monkeys | 14 comments Rachel wrote: "I miss meat; but there is no way I can eat it knowing how animals are treated. The torture and slaughter of innocents weighs heavy."

yah its really sad, have u watched those PETA viddeos :( there so sad....

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3 comments Emily ♥ monkeys wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I miss meat; but there is no way I can eat it knowing how animals are treated. The torture and slaughter of innocents weighs heavy."

yah its really sad, have u watched those PETA vi..."

Yes - the worst. Also - the In Defense of Animals website is also tragic. Check it out (if you can stand it =(

Emily ♥ monkeys | 14 comments ok .... :( thanks for sharing tho

I seriously dont understand why people have to kick animals and do all that torture to them, like whats the point....? do they really feel happy when doing that...i just dont understand

message 37: by W. (new)

W. I like this topic,so much.
Nothing to share my ideas than try to reduce consume meat product more and more.
I believe life from veget and fruit which come from the right way relate with our soul and spirit which we call religion.

message 38: by Rai (new)

Rai | 33 comments Letitia wrote: "Hello guys! I just found your group and decided to hop on. I am currently working on a book for vegetarians, and am eager for resources to do my research. I became a vegetarian for health, but also..."

Hi Letitia,

Wonderful to hear of the book you are working on! The world needs more positive energy out there :)

I became vegetarian (then shortly thereafter vegan) for ethical reasons. I have always loved animals, and I started to 'wake up' when 'speciesism' slowly dawned on me. I felt it was inconsistent (immoral & wrong) that I was nice to my kitty-cat, but then I would indirectly sentence other lifeforms to death by eating or wearing them.

These are some important websites for me:

http://farmsanctuary.org/

http://www.madcowboy.com/

http://www.wspa.ca/

http://rastarescue.org/

In addition, the videos from Peta (esp. Meet your Meat), and Peaceful Kingdom are unforgettable & profound in their messages.

I would also recommend the book Diet for a New America, that was already mentioned here, by Laura and
"Dominion", by Matthew Scully:

http://www.amazon.com/Dominion-Power-...

And "Animal Gospel", by Andrew Linzey:

http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Gospel-A...

And: "Is God a Vegetarian", by Richard A. Young:

http://www.amazon.com/God-Vegetarian-...

I would love to read your book when it's done, so please keep us posted!!

Rai

"Know that the same spark of life that is within you, is within all of our animal friends, the desire to live is the same within all of us..." - Rai Aren

Emily ♥ monkeys | 14 comments wow so much info..amazing :]

Emily ♥ monkeys | 14 comments Wan wrote: "I like this topic,so much.
Nothing to share my ideas than try to reduce consume meat product more and more.
I believe life from veget and fruit which come from the right way relate with our soul ..."

yah! totally agree w/u

Emily ♥ monkeys | 14 comments wow! congrats on being vegetarian!! veggie man :]

thats how i feel too, when i see meat, its really sad

well, hope that it all works out for u and your mom, im sure she will soon understand >_< its really brave of u to be a vegetarian :p

wow its great that u got a diet thing from a doctor, that way u can eat healthy balanced meals!! keep it up, if u need any help u can ask me, Ive been a vegetarian my entire life..so yeah :]

Love (#1 BEATLES FAN IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE) (Pauls1fan) | 6 comments silverstream/The RP freak wrote: "I have just became a veggie man (Its what my friends call me). I am not doing this for any religion, my friend told me what they do to the animals, it was awful! When i look at a burger i think, th..."

LOL

Yupp I know your... feelings... thoughts... W/e I know that you mean :D

My friend has the same prob as u except shes just become a VEGAN! (which in my opinion, is a bit much...)

Thank god that my dad was at one point a vegetarian...

Can't say the same for my mom tho cuz shes german and all they eat there is sausage and potatoes... no joke

lol

So yay welcome to the club!

Emily ♥ monkeys | 14 comments i want to be a vegan....but yeah it is super hard

message 44: by Rai (new)

Rai | 33 comments It's funny, I actually thought becoming vegan would have been hard, but it's been a breeze! Honestly. There are great options at regular grocery stores & restaurants have all been super friendly & accommodating - it's never been a problem. I would never go back. Now, cheese, dairy...it all smells very 'barnyard' & I don't miss it at all, in fact once you get used to not ingesting animal products, it actually makes you gag. Not including these hormone-laced products in your diet is also SUPER healthy for you!

Not only is it easy to just exclude all of these animal products from my diet, I find great peace in knowing I am not participating in any way to anyone else's suffering. To produce milk, cows must be kept in a pregnancy cycle - the poor little calves get shipped off to the evil veal places to be crated up in a nightmarish & cruel existence, then slaughtered. Not to mention, the mother cows have a strong bond with their calves, so it is awful for them to have their babies taken from them like that.

In addition, to produce eggs, chickens are often forced into it over & over again until their uteruses fall out. There is ENORMOUS suffering that is inherent in the 'liquid meat'/egg industries, in fact many animal rights activists argue the conditions & suffering are worse than the meat industry. To me, it is all a horror & something that must be avoided.

When in doubt, I choose to 'Do unto others...' I put myself in another's shoes/hooves/paws/feet/fins... :)

So nice to commune with you fine, thoughtful folks!

Rai

message 45: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymeb) Rai wrote: "It's funny, I actually thought becoming vegan would have been hard, but it's been a breeze! Honestly. There are great options at regular grocery stores & restaurants have all been super friendly & ..."

Well said, Rai!

message 46: by Shel (new)

Shel (shelgraves) | 32 comments I recently came across an essay about vegetarianism by Russian author Leo Tolstoy. Tolstoy, writing from a Christian perspective, wrote about vegetarianism in
"The First Step,"
a preface to The Ethics of Diet (1883) by Howard Williams. He praised the 19th century vegetarian movement, which "...should cause especial joy to those whose life lies in the effort to bring about the kingdom of God on earth, not because vegetarianism is in itself an important step towards that kingdom (all true steps are both important and unimportant), but because it is a sign that the aspiration of mankind toward moral perfection is serious and sincere, for it has taken the one unalterable order of succession natural to it, beginning with the first step."

message 47: by Sipiwe (last edited Jan 23, 2013 06:14AM) (new)

Sipiwe Mashingaidze (httpwwwgoodreadscomsipiwemashie) | 6 comments Hi all. I am sure my answer is rather late for Letitia. But I became vegetarian for health reason first. But once in a while I did not mind a piece of chicken or fish. In 2012 I discovered that eating animals is against "Thou shalt not kill." which modern Bibles have changed to "You shall not murder." The original commandments refers to the killing of all animals. That is when I realized that by eating the flesh of dead animals, I was in great support of their killing and suffering, and I was as guilty as the one who kills them. That is when I stopped completely. While the animal flesh makes the body acidic and prone to degenerative diseases, it also makes me vibrate at very low frequency. That impedes my spiritual development which is very important to me. So these are my reasons.

As a result of my research and my experiences, I wrote a book on health called Destiny Mastery 1: Start With Your Health. I am still trying to add it to Goodreads database.