Ms. Clark's Advisory discussion

Book Challenge: Any book from the list or one you had approved by Ms. Clark

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Clark | 7 comments Mod
Please comment on the book you read for a challenge. How did it relate to the dystopian society theme? What did you think about the society portrayed in the text? How does it make you see our society differently? Why? Do you think a utopia (perfect society) is actually possible? How?

message 2: by Ashley (last edited Jun 12, 2013 10:12AM) (new)

Ashley Clark | 7 comments Mod
For Example:

I read Uglies by Scott Westerfield. The main characters are ... and the basic plot is...

It showed a dystopian society because at the age of 16, all citizens...

It relates to other dystopian texts because...

Etc.

message 3: by Betsy (last edited Aug 14, 2013 12:22PM) (new)

Betsy | 4 comments I read Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth. The main characters are Beatrice (Tris) and Four. The basic plot is that Beatrice turned sixteen years old and has the chance to switch to the other 4 factions. She currently is an Abnegation (the selfless), but she has the option to switch to Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). However, after taking the simulation test to determine which faction she truly belongs, she was given a "gift" of fitting in 3 factions, which in her society is a dangerous act, so she must keep it a secret. Now Beatrice has to decide to stay with her abnegation family or leave them forever to another faction. She also must remain her secret a secret if she wants to keep her life.
It showed a dystopian society because all 16 year old are pressure to stay in their faction or switch to another one. Each factions have strict rules and limitation everyone need to follow. No factions can intermingle or have any relations. They assignment their specific job they must do and follow it to have a Utopian society.
It relates to other dystopian texts because everyone is limited to options and the government seems to always be the one controlling the nation.
I think Utopia is not possible to accomplish. It is impossible to have everything perfect. Plus, there will always be those people that will stand for their rights. There is no way to control rebels.

message 4: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Enriquez | 4 comments The book I read for a challenge was The Hunger Games. I read this book for the first time years ago, but I read it again to refresh my foggy memory. The main characters are Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, but other significant characters are Gale Hawthorne, Haymitch Abernathy, Cinna, Rue, Effie Trinket, and President Snow. The basic plot consisted of Katniss and Peeta trying their best to survive in an area filled with 22 other vicious contestants where they have to kill each other to save themselves.

The Hunger Games is related to the dystopian society theme for many reasons, one being the control over smaller and more inferior nations to only enlighten the one with greater power. The nations in this case are 12 districts, and the Capitol is the superior one that commands each district to whatever it pleases so that it is in the best interest of the higher class citizens living in the Capitol. In this novel, Suzanne Collins, the author, writes of the cruelty demonstrated by the Capitol for having annual killings simply to entertain them. One person from each district is selected randomly to represent his or her own district. Within these districts, people are experiencing famine because the food they grow and sell to one another is their only means of consumption; the Capitol prohibits district people from crossing their boundaries to hunt for food. The conditions of life for the poor people of these districts are tough; people are trying to sell what they can and eat whatever they find edible. Meanwhile, the higher classmen sit back and relax.

The society portrayed in the text honestly just disgusts me. Reading it again evoked the same angered emotions I felt originally as I read the descriptions. The majority of the people residing in that American nation are living in squalor and left enclosed in an electronic fence like dogs in a cage. They weren’t treated with even a hint of equality. The wealth of the nation is in the hands of the rich. The Capitol is utterly unreasonable in every way for the neglect and implementation of the annual Hunger Games. The citizens of the districts are puppets of the Capitol and have always been. Appearance and mannerism were essential in this society because the players of the games needed to appear tough and appealing to their viewers. They wanted to win votes and support by appearing strong and not weak. This was good entertainment for those in the Capitol unconcerned and not worried about losing a loved one.

Reading this novel makes me see our society different because I am noticing how in many ways it is portraying the society we live in today. In today's world, the things people watch for entertainment is just as disturbing as the hunger games described in the book, and there is a distinguishable contrast between the benefits received between the rich and the poor. The poor struggle to maintain their existence by acquiring whichever resources they encounter while, on the other hand, the rich are given such luxuries without a hassle.

After contemplating as positive as possible, I do not believe a utopia is possible because humans are only human, meaning we make mistakes; it is merely human nature to do so. The inequality to attain certain opportunities and resources due to the establishment of social classes has always existed, and because of it, a dystopia is inevitable. There is no such thing as perfect, and if there was, our world is far from it.