Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > July 2013 Nominations Old School Classic

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) Let's have those nominations for July. Happy reading.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan | 78 comments I picked up Wings of the Dove by Henry James recently and just need a good excuse to start reading it. Same with Tess of the D'Urbevilles.

message 4: by Janet (new)

Janet (jangoodell) I have read Romeo and Juliet. How old is an old-school classic? I have 2 to nominate, but am not sure if they belong here.

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet (jangoodell) I still want to read Kim (Kipling).

message 6: by Kat (new)

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat (superkatness) | 163 comments Janet wrote: "I have read Romeo and Juliet. How old is an old-school classic? I have 2 to nominate, but am not sure if they belong here."

An old-school classic is anything written before 1900.

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan | 78 comments 1900 is a good cut-off line. Tess then makes it by 9 years since it was published in 1891. Any modernist work such as James Joyce's Ulysses (1918-20) does not.

message 10: by Cindy (last edited Jun 21, 2013 09:28AM) (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) We have a tie so i'll run a two day run off poll.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) Here is the run off poll http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/86...

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) Our July Old School Classic is Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy tess of d'Ubervilles

message 13: by Janet (new)

Janet (jangoodell) I have read and enjoyed? it, but would love to take part in discussion...

message 14: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 495 comments I just requested it from the library! I've heard great things about it :-)

message 15: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9125 comments Mod
I've had a copy of this book forever, and have never read it. Now is a good time!

message 16: by Dan (last edited Jun 25, 2013 07:41PM) (new)

Dan | 78 comments I have seen the movie Tess by Roman Polanski back in 1982 for a college film class. It was artistic, I'm sure, but I hated the story and ending. (Roman Polanski never has happy endings, I guess, unless an underage masseuse is involved.) I was so troubled by the movie that I have ever since refused to read the novel. Until now! Or next month rather.

I've read a lot of Hardy's poetry, most of which reads more like short stories than poems, and his novel Jude the Obscure. It is all wonderful, even if I can't remember a single happy ending. This will be my second Hardy novel. I think we are in for a treat.

message 17: by Antonio (new)

Antonio (antonioarez) I read it in college fifteen years ago or so. Well, I don't really remember anything about the book, apart from the images from the film. I just found my old copy (full of notes I don't even recall having taken) and Hardy's asking for a second chance. Ok, why not.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.