Language & Grammar discussion

The L&G Kitchen Party > Does anyone care_

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rose (new)

Rose Romano | 28 comments Well, you say that anything goes. But that's in the US. In Italy, nothing goes because the government there does not run the country. The politicians just sit around collecting money for nothing.
For example, I tried to start a small publishing house. In order to do so, I have to pay the government 3,200 euros every year for my pension. the fact that I'm 62 years old and in order to get a pension in Italy you have to work for at least 30 years, well, this money is just flushed down the toilet. Then I have to pay another 300 euros every year for God knows what. Then I have to pay extra taxes on my apartment to run a business there or else, since I don't own my apartment, I have to rent an office. My income is only 496 euros a month!!!!!!
In the US I had a little publishing company. None of the crap they make you do here is necessary in the US.
I have to have an office to read a manuscript e prepare a PDF file for the printer?
I'm sorry, I just can't stand it anymore. They make it impossible for people to pursue their dreams and then they whine that they haven't got money. No, they have money. They have our money. We don't have money.
Forgive me. But I wonder sometimes how many Americans realize what a great country the US is.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10408 comments Sometimes it takes someone like you to remind me. We have our problems too. May I ask why you returned to Italy. Were you born in Italy?

message 3: by Rose (new)

Rose Romano | 28 comments Hi, Carol. Thanks for your comment. As short and simple as it is, it comforts me. I was slightly hysterical when I wrote my last message. This country is a dream-shatterer.
No, I wasn't born in Italy. My grandparents came from Italy. And I never asked them why! Maybe I should have! :) I really didn't know it would be like this. I thought I'd just have to deal with more burocracy. But, since I don't own a house or, at the time, a business (and I guess I never will own a business), or even a car, I figured I'd have to go to some office maybe once every three or four years. Instead, there are periods when I have to go to some office three or four times a week!
One of these days, maybe, if I have the strength, I'll make a list of all the things you have to pay for in Italy that you don't have to pay for in the US.
I like your picture. I love cats.
RosaBeatrice

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10408 comments It's a nice place to visit ,but I should have checked it out before I came to stay, sort of place , huh? Sorry it didn't work out as you thought it would. I hope you catch a break and can fulfill your dream, with a few minor adjustments.