YA & NA Romance ♥ discussion

Definitions > YA Definition

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianna♥, The Queen Bri (last edited Jun 12, 2013 06:06PM) (new)

Brianna♥ (briannaforrest) | 964 comments Mod
YA Definition:

In my own words, YA is usually about adolescents and younger adults between the ages of 12 and 18 or the targeted audience is between 12 and 18.

If anyone has a definition that they would like to share, please feel free to comment below!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie Cross (juliecross1980) | 19 comments I've heard from several editors that all the way through the summer after graduation if applicable is considered YA.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (pandwen) | 19 comments it can be as i have seen that done but that is a nice questionable pool where both YA and NA can swim together as friends

message 4: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Kavich (ackavich) This is a really helpful!

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela Maria Hart (angelamariahart) | 4 comments NA, new adult, was in response to the growing need for novels addressing the transitional life period (such as college). You are not yet a full adult, but not a teenager anymore. When discussing NA, I tend to reference "Fangirl" or "A Little Something Different," because they are great examples of what NA should be.

YA, young adult, is more focused on teenagers. This genre tends to have younger protagonists around 13 to 18. I think of Meg Cabot and Sarah Dessen novels.