Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2013! Yay! > Rachel can read 50 books!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) :) I'm so happy to join a group like this. Since it is June, I'll have to go back and find what I have read so far this year. But the last book I finished was The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker right before I met the author. He is wonderful!

message 2: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #2 - Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys

finished 6/12/13, 4 stars

message 3: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #3 - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs

finished 6/14/13, 4 stars, gave it an extra half star for all the amazing photos.

message 4: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1774 comments Mod
Good luck, Rachel!

message 5: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) Thanks, Tiffany! :)

#4 - The Power and the Glory - Graham Greene

finished 6/29/13, 5 stars. Such a beautifully written book.

message 6: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #5 - The Devil in Silver - Victor LaValle

finished 7/3/13, 4 stars. this book makes me want to read more nonfiction about the history of mental hospitals and treatment for mental illness.

message 7: by Rachel W (last edited Jul 10, 2013 08:39AM) (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #6 - What I talk about when I talk about Running - Haruki Murakami

finished 7/9/13, 3 stars. Definitely a book for distance runners. Some of the writing was beautiful, but in the end, I felt rather let down.

message 8: by Rachel W (last edited Jul 10, 2013 08:38AM) (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #7 - The Pillowman - Martin McDonagh

finished 7/10/13, 4.5 stars. So chilling, and sometimes funny. I would read this again, and definitely go to a production of this play.

message 9: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #8 - Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea - Barbara Demick

finished 7/24/13, 4 stars. This book is very touching, personal, and tragic.

message 10: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #9 - Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

finished 7/31/13, 4 stars. probably the first time I have enjoyed listening to an audio book as much as reading it.

message 11: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #10 - The Dinner - Herman Koch

finished 8/7/13, 3.5 stars. So dysfunctional. Love the unreliable narrative voice.

message 12: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) # 11 - My Life in France - Julia Child

finished 8/19/13, 3 stars. Julia is wonderful, and this book is very engaging, but I didn't enjoy the narration on this audiobook at all.

message 13: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 550 comments Rachel wrote: "# 11 - My Life in France - Julia Child

finished 8/19/13, 3 stars. Julia is wonderful, and this book is very engaging, but I didn't enjoy the narration on this audiobook at all."

who read it?

message 14: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) Hey Naomi! It was Kimberly Farr. And the narration wasn't terrible, it just seemed, kind of cloying maybe? At least to me. Kind of hard to listen to for multiple hours. Although, I'll admit that Julia put a lot of her personality into the writing, so it was a difficult book to narrate.

message 15: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 550 comments Rachel wrote: "Hey Naomi! It was Kimberly Farr. And the narration wasn't terrible, it just seemed, kind of cloying maybe? At least to me. Kind of hard to listen to for multiple hours. Although, I'll admit th..."

thanks much for getting back to me! i loved this book and i'm sorry to hear that the audiobook wasn't as engaging as it could have been

message 16: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #12 - Death Masks - Jim Butcher

finished 8/23/13, 3 stars. still enjoying the Dresden series very much! They are a nice break from more serious reads.

#13 - Someone to Run With - David Grossman

finished 8/30/13, 5 stars. I loved it! Great characters, well crafted story, even a dog! There's nothing to dislike here. I'm going to recommend this one to many friends.

message 17: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #14 - Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

finished 9/4/13, 4 stars. very entertaining, and a great reading on the audiobook by Wil Wheaton.

message 18: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #15 - Down the Rabbit Hole - Juan Pablo Villalobos

finished 9/12/13, 3.5 stars. this book may grow on me after a while, it was very dark and quite funny in places. the narration from a precocious child's perspective was interesting for the number of details left out.

message 19: by Rachel W (last edited Sep 30, 2013 02:01PM) (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #16 - Blood Rites - Jim Butcher

finished 9/22/13, 3.5 stars, Dresden again. I really appreciate his character development, as well as the complex plotlines Butcher creates.

#17 - Tampa - Alissa Nutting

finished 9/28/13, 2 stars. I do appreciate some of the motivation behind this book--how do we treat female sex offenders vs. male ones? what are the consequences if a molester is an attractive woman? I know that this was a major goal Nutting had in mind while writing this book, but...it just wasn't well executed. Celeste lacked the depth and doubts and facets required to feel like an actual human, and because the focus was just sex, sex, sex (and extremely graphic) for 70 % of the book, it veered off the intended literary path for me. I just feel icky now.

#18 - A Complicated Kindness - Miriam Toews

finished 9/29/13, 4 stars. this was wonderful! it really resonated a lot with my own upbringing. the narration isn't consistent in terms of tense, and sometimes it rambles, which at first bothered me. but these things were so very consistent with the personality and voice of the main character that I got over it fast. while it's very sad, I think this book with stay with me a long time.

message 20: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #19 - Vampires In the Lemon Grove - Karen Russell

finished 10/4/13, 4.5 stars. This book of short stories may be one of my favorites. There are a lot of unresolved endings here, but the creativity and surprising humor in almost every case was delightful. I was particularly impressed by "Proving Up" which was actually very dark and creepy- a great Halloween read. I don't think this book is for everyone, but the people who like it will really really like it!

message 21: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #20 - In Our Time - Ernest Hemingway

finished 10/8/13, 3 stars. This short story collection seems well ahead of its time, but I just don't relate that well to Hemingway's choices in subject matter. He's such a guy's guy.

message 22: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #21 - The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson

finished 10/13/13, 4.5 stars. This book is subtle and terrifying. I was so impressed by how timeless it felt. Jackson has a gift for focusing on the mind and senses and leaving enough gaps for the reader to fill in with the most terrifying details. Will definitely read more from her.