Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Favorite historical movie or TV series?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Do you have a favorite historical film or television series?

I have many. Let me hear yours first!

message 2: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
It's Dpownton Abby for me! That series has done a great job of character development, in my opinion.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 75 comments My favorite historical film/tv series is probably the Anne of Green Gables series. I love them!

I also love Les Miserables (the new one that came out on Christmas), so that would be my favorite historical movie.

There are others I enjoy. Like Gladiator, Forrest Gump, Little House on the Prairie, Robin Hood (any of them!), Knight's Tale, Newsies, Ever After, and I could go on and on.

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee Ryan | 205 comments I'm still a fan of the A&E/BBC version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. An all time favorite!!!

message 5: by Lynsay (new)

Lynsay | 54 comments les mis, pride and prejudice, a knight's tale, and remember the titans.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 305 comments My favorite Historical TV series was Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.
Its off the air now...but my Daughter and I have been enjoying watching the series on Netflix DVD. =)

message 7: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, I loved Dr. Quinn, too. I have the full series on DVD.

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 75 comments I forgot about Dr. Quinn. I loved that too.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 305 comments Janet, Im jealous. =)

We have watched the series all the way thru..and getting ready to start the last Season.
I like it so much..that I just might have to "re-watch" them again!

message 10: by Deborah (last edited Jun 12, 2013 12:42PM) (new)

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
Great question, Lyn!

You gals have mentioned so many of my favorites. Janet, I'm a Downton Abbey fan too. I like how they have changed my early impressions of some of the characters. Also love Pride and Prejudice and A Knight's Tale.

For anybody who hasn't seen the BBC series North and South (based on the Elizabeth Gaskell book) it is AMAZING! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PnZS3...

message 11: by Melody (last edited Jun 12, 2013 01:25PM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I have been told by numerous people to watch Downton Abbey, so maybe I will have to give it a try next time I am perusing Netflix. :)

Robin Hood is my favorite, wish a new series would come out, I never tire of that story! And that BBC version was fabulous, the first two seasons anyway!

message 12: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments I enjoy watching PBS and some of the classics they have, loved Gone with the Wind, Pride and Prejudice, all the Love come softly tv movies, years ago as teen liked watch Wagon train, rawhide and the Rifleman..
Too many good ones, many of the above too.

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane | 34 comments I would have to say that Pride and Prejudice and Downtown Abbey are my favorites. I will also say PBS Call of Midwives has some interesting cases.

message 14: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4942 comments oh here is where I will be totally different one of my favourite movies is Gettysburg.
i also love the music man.

Historical series while I enjoyed Anne of Green Gables, Robin hood, Little house on the prairrie, dr Quin and more recently merlin I think one of my favourite mini series were hornblower and also The Scarlett pimpernel.

I bought the American North and South to rewatch while in america.

message 15: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Ausjenny wrote: "oh here is where I will be totally different one of my favourite movies is Gettysburg.
i also love the music man.

Historical series while I enjoyed Anne of Green Gables, Robin hood, Little house o..."

"LIKE"

message 16: by Deborah (new)

Hey all you Anne of Green Gables fans, I'll be visiting Prince Edward Island this weekend and will try to get some good pictures from around Cavendish to share!

Maybe next week we can talk about L.M. Montgomery and her books...

message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela | 2 comments Gone With The Wind
Anne of Green Gables
Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman
North and South
True Women
The Man From Snowy River
Gettysburg
Master and Commander
Robin Hood
Out of Africa

message 18: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments We loved Dr. Quinn - watched every episode - and I loved Anne of Green Gables too, also Man from Snowy River, Out of Africa and anything in the old west. I love Hallmark movies that deal with the old west! I started out college as a history major but switched to English. Still love history, especially Revolutionary War.

message 19: by June (new)

June | 366 comments Janette Oke's Love Comes Softly series on Hallmark Channel. Some were better than others though. I thought the first couple were mostly accurate with the books but then they got way off track. But the stories were still good if you hadn't read the books! :)

message 20: by June (new)

June | 366 comments Melody wrote: "I have been told by numerous people to watch Downton Abbey, so maybe I will have to give it a try next time I am perusing Netflix. :)

Robin Hood is my favorite, wish a new series would come out, ..."

My husband and daughter LOVED the PBS Robin Hood series.

message 21: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Renee wrote: "I'm still a fan of the A&E/BBC version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. An all time favorite!!!"

Me too!!! I must have watched it a dozen times, Renee.

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Ausjenny, I loved the Horatio Hornblower series too. My husband, who works on ships, says the first episode, "The Duel," is particularly accurate.

In addition, I loved the BBC/A&E version of Ivanhoe, Gwyneth Paltrow's "Emma," and "Sense and Sensibility" with Alan Rickman as Col. Brandon (sigh).

message 23: by Deborah (new)

How could I forget Hornblower?!! I also liked the Sharpe's Rifles series with Sean Bean.

I really should go check my DVD collection. I have one shelf for romances and one for historical films. Obviously there is so overlap! ;)

message 24: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4942 comments The english do the navel stories well.

I use to love "the Onedine Line" may have spelt it wrong but it was english and featured shipping, Jane Seymour was in it.

Also who remembers "The Barbary Coast" I think it was.

message 25: by Lyn (new)

Did any of you ever read Sabatini Rafael Sabatini?

Here are some of his books:
Captain Blood
The Sea-Hawk
Sound familiar?

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lasen (blaircaldwell86) I really enjoy Downton Abbey :)

message 27: by Melissa (last edited Jun 14, 2013 11:56AM) (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 305 comments Valri wrote: "We loved Dr. Quinn - watched every episode - and I loved Anne of Green Gables too, also Man from Snowy River, Out of Africa and anything in the old west. I love Hallmark movies that deal with the ..."

Valri, I think history is so fascinating..! =)
I've never studied it in college, but I bet it would be so interesting!
I've been watching the Dr. Quinn series thru Netflix DVD's, and have really enjoyed that series.

( I also enjoy watching "Antique Roadshow", the history can be so fascinating with the things that the people bring on the show )

message 28: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments I agree, Melissa!

message 29: by Lyn (new)

We watch Antique Roadshow every week too! And American Pickers!

message 30: by Melissa (last edited Jun 17, 2013 12:16PM) (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 305 comments Just a note about "Antiques Roadshow", - I dont have Cable TV, so Im not able to get Channel 8 ( for Antiques Roadshow ) and have missed watching it..
But one day, I was going thru my Roku Channels ( a device that hooks up to my Internet and TV ) - and was pleasantly suprised to see that PBS had been added to my Roku Channels!!
I found "Antiques Roadshow" episodes and have been watching them quite often. They have about 57 episodes downloaded to this channel, and the ones that I have seen so far are quite interesting! =)

message 31: by Lyn (new)

I've never heard of ROKU. How do you get that and how does it work?

message 32: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiekaufman) | 66 comments I love Downton Abbey, Out of Africa, The African Queen, and many others. Recently I watched a short series on Netflix, Call the Midwife, set in 50's England slums. Enjoyed that one almost as much as Bramwell, an historical with a female physician set in Victorian England.

message 33: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiekaufman) | 66 comments Lyn wrote: "I've never heard of ROKU. How do you get that and how does it work?"
Lynn, ROKU, Xboxes, and devices like my new DVR get hooked up to your tv and via the internet connection offer Netflix, Hulu, and other TV options. I use that instead of paying for cable. It's a less expensive subscription option.

message 34: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, I love Antique Roadshows, too -- I'd love to have something to take to them (and then hope they come to LA - which I think they do). It's so interesting how they find the history of an item.

message 35: by Carla (new)

Carla Capshaw (carlacapshaw) | 987 comments Mod
Oh my goodness, I love so many. Of course, I love Gladiator. :-) The BBC Pride and Prejudice, Downtown Abbey, several different versions of Jane Eyre. I thought the version of True Grit from a couple of years ago was especially well done and Angle and the Bad Man with John Wayne is fun.

message 36: by Carla (new)

Debbie wrote: "I love Downton Abbey, Out of Africa, The African Queen, and many others. Recently I watched a short series on Netflix, Call the Midwife, set in 50's England slums. Enjoyed that one almost as much..."

Debbie, I'm going to look up Bramwell. Thanks for mentioning it. I'm writing a Victorian series so I'm searching for anything that might offer a bit of information and inspiration. :-)

message 37: by Carla (new)

Christine wrote: "Ausjenny, I loved the Horatio Hornblower series too. My husband, who works on ships, says the first episode, "The Duel," is particularly accurate.

In addition, I loved the BBC/A&E version of Ivan..."

Oh, I so love Ivanhoe with Anthony Andreww. That and Scarlet Pimpernal, too. :-)

message 38: by Winnie (new)

Winnie Griggs (winniegriggs) | 235 comments Deborah wrote: ...For anybody who hasn't seen the BBC series North and South (based on the Elizabeth Gaskell book) it is AMAZING"

Deb I love North and South and have this version on DVD. I'm also a big fan of Anne of Green Gables, several versions of Pride and Prejudice and many others that have been mentioned here.

Two others that I haven't seen here that I enjoy tremendously are The Importance of Being Ernest and An Ideal Husband, both with Rupert Everett

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 305 comments Lyn wrote: "I've never heard of ROKU. How do you get that and how does it work?"

Just adding to what Debbie said ( above ) about Roku.
I bought mine about a year ago, and love it!
Its about the size of a 2" by 3" box - you hook it up to your TV ( and you will need a Router for your Internet ) to send the signal to the ROKU.
The ROKU price depends on the Model of ROKU that you buy. The ROKU is a "one time fee".
here is a link -
http://www.roku.com

Routers are about $45-60 depending on model.

I just looked at the ROKU site, and they have upgraded since I bought mine. =) Their remote now has a headphone jack for private listening! =)

Once you have the ROKU and Router set up, then just scroll thru all the channels that ROKU offers. Some of the Channels are free and some of the Channels you have to pay for.
Netflix Streaming is available on ROKU, Netflix unlimited streaming ( per month ) is $7.99.

Once you have bought the ROKU and Router, - its only $7.99 per month to have Netflix Streaming! I love it!

The PBS Channel is free on ROKU!

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ann of Green Gables, Dr Quinn, Little House on The Prairie, Christy, BBC pride and Prejudice, Les Miserables, The Patriot, My Fair Lady, Oklahoma.... I could go on and on lol

message 41: by Lyn (new)

Melissa wrote: "Lyn wrote: "I've never heard of ROKU. How do you get that and how does it work?"

Just adding to what Debbie said ( above ) about Roku.
I bought mine about a year ago, and love it!
Its about the si..."

This is all very fascinating but I don't have high powered Internet at my home. Just a local satellite company--no cable available out here in my neck of the boonies.
But thanks for the explanation--don't want to be left behind electronically speaking.

message 42: by Melissa (last edited Jun 20, 2013 01:45PM) (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 305 comments Lyn, I dont have Cable either.... =)

You might check with your local Satellite company..all you need is a Router, and they could recommend the best one.
Once you have a Router ( and the ROKU ) you are all set.

message 43: by Lyn (new)

I'll look into it! Thanks!

message 44: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 305 comments Lyn wrote: "I'll look into it! Thanks!"

Glad to help! =)
Lyn, One more thought...you might ask your Satellite company how "fast" your Internet is,..and they can tell you how Netflix Streaming ( and the ROKU ) would work with your Service.
I love ROKU, there are so many channels to choose from!

message 45: by Emilee (new)

Emilee | 6 comments I like this question! I love "The Waltons", "The Man From Snowy River" and an old movie called "Westward the Women". "Lonesome Dove" too!

message 46: by Emilee (new)

Emilee | 6 comments I have never liked Dr Quin, I felt like it was too much of feminist point of view. That's just me.

message 47: by JanetTronstad (new)

Emilee -- I agree that Dr. Quinn was a feminist point of view series, but I liked the charactersl

message 48: by Emilee (new)

Emilee | 6 comments Janet- I did love the scenery and costumes!

message 49: by Emilee (new)

Emilee | 6 comments Have any of you seen "Westward the Women" I think it would be a great idea for a L.I.H.

message 50: by JanetTronstad (new)

No, I haven't seen that, Emilee. I'll have to look for it.

« previous 1