The Jolly Good Reading Society discussion

A-Z Book Challenge

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) I've seen a lot of people on Goodreads are doing this challenge and I was wondering if anyone in this group are doing it, or if you would like to?

Basically over the year, you just try to read a book beginning with each letter of the alphabet. Some are harder than others but it's a really fun challenge, so let me know whether you're interested :)

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 468 comments Mod
that definitely sounds interesting to me :)

message 3: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) so how far have you got so far? :)

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee I'll give it a go - any suggestions for X? :)

message 5: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) Lee wrote: "I'll give it a go - any suggestions for X? :)"

I'm struggling with that one myself! But I found this list on Goodreads, maybe there are some interesting one's on there?

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee Thats really useful - hopefully theres a list out there for all the awkward letters. So, am I right in assuming that it's ok to disregards the 'a's and 'the's at the beginning of titles? and do we read through the alphabet in alphabetical order (as it were)?

message 7: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) Well I think it's best if we include what we've already read so far year, and also you can read in any order, otherwise we'll get stuck on certain letters :)

So just post what you've got so far and everyone can suggest titles and things! Should be fun :)

message 8: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) And yes, disregard 'A' and 'The' :)

message 9: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) So I thought I'd start this off and I didn't know how many I'd actually read so far! I personally haven't included any short stories because I read a lot of those, so here's my list so far!

A = An Abundance of Katherines – John Green (read 12th January)
B = Burning Embers – Hannah Fielding (read 8th April)
C = Clockwork Angel – Cassandra Clare (read 9th June)
D = Dead Famous – Ben Elton (read 4th February)
E = Eric – Terry Pratchett (read 24th January)
F = Fixing Freddie – Mona Ingram (read 23rd February)
G = Gone – Michael Grant (read 11th May)
H = Half Blood Blues – Esi Edugyan (read 21st April)
I = I Am Scrooge – Adam Roberts (read 6th March)
J = A Job From Hell – Jayde Scott (read 3rd April)
K = The Knife of Never Letting Go – Patrick Ness (read 24th January)
L = Larklight – Philip Reeve (read 5th April)
M = Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children – Ransom Riggs (read 1st March)
N =
O =
P = Peregrine Harker & The Black Death – Luke Holland (read 30th April)
Q =
R = Reckless – Cornelia Funke (read 5th March)
S = Skinny Bitch in Love – Kim Barnouin (read 29th May)
T = Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes – Maureen Johnson (read 28th April)
U = Untimed – Andy Gavin (read 14th March)
V =
W = Witch Child – Celia Rees (read 25th March)
X =
Y =
Z =

19/26

The ones that I have left are going to be the most difficult I think....but I'd love to know how you're doing so far,
Remember it has to be what you've read from 1st January 2013 to the end of this year :)

message 10: by Jen (last edited Jul 05, 2013 12:57PM) (new)

Jen | 468 comments Mod
Oooh this sounds like fun :)

Here's my list so far, I've not been choosing my books with this in mind, so there's not many

A=The Affinity Bridge (George Mann)-18th June
B=The Book Thief (Markus Zusak)-21st May
C=The City of Dreaming Books (Walter Moers)-25thJune
D=The Diary of a Young Girl (Anne Frank)-2nd February
E=The Eyre Affair (Jasper Fforde)-20th March
F=The Fault in our Stars (John Green)-19th February
G=The Good Fairies of New York (Martin Millar)-30th March
H=The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)-22nd February
I=I am Legend (Richard Matheson)-28th June
J=
K=
L=Life, the Universe and Everything (Douglas Adams)-26th March
M=Moving Pictures (Terry Pratchett)-20th June
N=Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman)-14th March
O=The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Neil Gaiman)-26th June
P=
Q=
R=The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Douglas Adams)-12th March
S=The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack (Mark Hodder)-11th June
T=The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Mr.Punch (Neil Gaiman)-6th March
U=
V=
W=The War of the Worlds (HG Wells)-5th July
X=
Y=
Z=

17/26

message 11: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) Jen wrote: "Oooh this sounds like fun :)

Here's my list so far, I've not been choosing my books with this in mind, so there's not many

A=
B=The Book Thief (Markus Zusak)
C=
D=The Diary of a Young Girl (Anne ..."

Oo I might have to read Neverwhere for my 'N' book....I own it, just haven't read it yet

message 12: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (theelliemo) As Jen was starting this challenge retrospectively, I decided to list my A-Z so far this year. I've managed to read 3 'P's and 2 'T's so I think I'll save this challenge for next year!!

message 13: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) Elaine wrote: "As Jen was starting this challenge retrospectively, I decided to list my A-Z so far this year. I've managed to read 3 'P's and 2 'T's so I think I'll save this challenge for next year!!"

Yes, we should do it as though we started in January so we can start in January next year :)

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen | 468 comments Mod
Elaine wrote: "As Jen was starting this challenge retrospectively, I decided to list my A-Z so far this year. I've managed to read 3 'P's and 2 'T's so I think I'll save this challenge for next year!!"

Sorry I missed the dates that I finished the books Elaine, I'll add them when I have time but I assure you that my list only includes books that I've read since 1st January 2013.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen | 468 comments Mod
For fans of PG Wodehouse, I've discovered one of his books titled "Quick Service". That solves this year's "q" problem for me :)

message 16: by Lee (last edited Jun 14, 2013 04:33AM) (new)

Lee Ok here goes - (sorry - I only joined good reads in April and so don't have dates read).
A. - The Alchemist-Ben Jonson.
B. - The Betrayal-H Dunmore
C. - Cats Cradle- K Vonnegut
E. -Einsteins Dreams- A Lightman.
F. -For The Relief of Unbearable Urges-N Englander
G. -Goblin Moon-Tessa Edgerton.
H. -How To Breathe Underwater-J Orringer
I. -Immortality-M Kundera.
J. -The James Version-Ruth Dughall.
K. -A Kind of Loving-S Barstow
L. -Lolita-V Nabakov
M. -Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookshop-R Sloan
N. -The Night Circus-E Morgenstern
O. -Orkney-Amy Sackville
P. -A Possible Life- S Faulkes
Q. -Quicksilver- N Stephenson
R. -Ready Player One-E Cline
S. -The Silver Dark Sea-S Fletcher.
T. -Titus Andronicus-William Shakespeare.
U. -The Uninvited Guests-S Jones.
V. -The Victorian City: Every Day Life in Dicken's London-J Flanders.
W. -War Crimes for the Home-L Jensen
X. -Xinghu- E Wharton
Y. -Your Face Tomorrow-J Marias
Z. -the Zimmerman Telegram-B Tuchman

This is such a good idea for getting through your To read pile. I think I should start another one for my To Acquire list!!!

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen | 468 comments Mod
Lee wrote: "Ok here goes - (sorry - I only joined good reads in April and so don't have dates read).
A. - The Alchemist-Ben Jonson. Read
D. - The Du..."

Gosh! That was quick Lee! Do people repeat the challenge if they complete it very early?

message 18: by Lee (new)

Lee Jen - sorry - haven't read them all yet by any means - have marked the ones I have read - not very obviously it would seem ! :) and the rest are what I think I might read for those letters.
I shall edit my post to make it a bit less confusing!

message 19: by Lee (new)

Lee You must have thought I was being very economical with the truth!

message 20: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) Lee wrote: "Ok here goes - (sorry - I only joined good reads in April and so don't have dates read).
A. - The Alchemist-Ben Jonson.
E. -Einsteins D..."

Oo how did you find Ready Player One? (no spoilers please!) I own it and for some reason can't get into it

message 21: by Lee (new)

Lee I really enjoyed it - even though I know nothing about gaming and didn't much like 80s pop culture!
It changes gear about a quarter of the way in and becomes a real page turner.
I thought it was fun and exciting - a bit Young Adulty but in a good way.

message 22: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) Lee wrote: "I really enjoyed it - even though I know nothing about gaming and didn't much like 80s pop culture!
It changes gear about a quarter of the way in and becomes a real page turner.
I thought it was fu..."

I've started reading more young adult recently so maybe I should give it another go! I love video games, that's why I picked it up but I'm too young to know much about the 80s XD

message 23: by Lee (new)

Lee Hopefully that won't matter too much, although I was around in the 80s - I did my level best to avoid most of the pop culture at the time ( I wanted to be in the 60s and 70s) so I know rather less about it than most people my age.

message 24: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) Lee wrote: "Hopefully that won't matter too much, although I was around in the 80s - I did my level best to avoid most of the pop culture at the time ( I wanted to be in the 60s and 70s) so I know rather less ..."

I'll definitely have to give it another go soon :)

message 25: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (theelliemo) Jen wrote: "I assure you that my list only includes books that I've read since 1st January 2013"

I wasn't suggesting otherwise, just commenting that when I took a look at how much or little my reading material this year may have contributed to an A-Z challenge, I found myself to be highly alphabetically challenged!! :-/ So I may set a goal of doing an A-Z starting 1 Jan 2014

message 26: by Carol Ann (new)

Carol Ann (cassy45) | 2 comments A -
B - Birthday Party (play) - Harold Pinter
C - Cry of the Gull - Emmanuelle Laborit
D -
E -
F -
G - Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
H -
I -
J -
K -
L -
M -
N -
O - Omega rising - Jessica Meats
P -
Q -
R -
S-
T-
U -
V -
W -
X -
Y -
Z -
Sadly thats all so far this year, there is another 'c' Child called it , which I re-read couple times a year.

message 27: by Jen (new)

Jen | 468 comments Mod
Elaine wrote: "Jen wrote: "I assure you that my list only includes books that I've read since 1st January 2013"

I wasn't suggesting otherwise, just commenting that when I took a look at how much or little my rea..."

I was the same. I had at least 3 books beginning with "s". I just hope this challenge doesn't interfere with my book choices too much. I don't want to avoid "s" books for the rest of the year lol :)

message 28: by Jen (new)

Jen | 468 comments Mod
Has anyone ever done an A-Z challenge using the author's name instead of the book title? Just a thought lol

message 29: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) Jen wrote: "Has anyone ever done an A-Z challenge using the author's name instead of the book title? Just a thought lol"

I might try that too...you mean the surname?

message 30: by Jen (new)

Jen | 468 comments Mod
Charlotte wrote: "Jen wrote: "Has anyone ever done an A-Z challenge using the author's name instead of the book title? Just a thought lol"

I might try that too...you mean the surname?"

Yes, the surname. I've already read two beginning with "z" this year :)

message 31: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) Jen wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "Jen wrote: "Has anyone ever done an A-Z challenge using the author's name instead of the book title? Just a thought lol"

I might try that too...you mean the surname?"

Yes, the s..."

I'm missing 5 but I have all the others :)

message 32: by Lee (new)

Lee Jen wrote: "Has anyone ever done an A-Z challenge using the author's name instead of the book title? Just a thought lol"

I was thinking about that too!! I love this A-Z idea - it will be a big help to me in choosing what to read next from my to acquire pile and what to get next from my to acquire list!