Reading the Chunksters discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Archive > Contemporary Chunkster Nominations - Wolf Hall!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristi (last edited Jun 17, 2013 02:13PM) (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Ok, we are winding down our current Contemporary Chunkster That means it's time to nominate our next one!

Please use this thread to nominate your selection for our next Contemporary Chunkster.

Remember:

1) Only one nomination per member

2) Link to both the book and the author in your nomination

3) This thread will be open for 1 week, so get your nominations in before Tuesday morning (U.S. Eastern Time), June 18.

4)Please reference the rules for nominating in the Group Guidelines when deciding on your nomination.

Thanks!

Under the Dome by Stephen King
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett
World Without End by Ken Follett
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
2666 by Roberto Bolaño
11/22/63 by Stephen King
NOS4A2 by Joe Hill
The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough

message 2: by Sandra (last edited Jun 12, 2013 08:03AM) (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) I nominate Under the Dome by Stephen King. I thought I saw that there is going to be a tv series based on this book, so it would be good to read the book first!

message 3: by Glynis Jane (new)

Glynis Jane (missgmad) | 0 comments I would like to nominate The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. Is it long enough? If not, can I otherwise nominate Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Sorry I've not linked books as requested. Not sure how to do it from the ipad.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (tasseled) | 189 comments I will probably be cool with whatever we end up choosing, but I just want to throw The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett out there.

message 5: by Sera (new)

Sera I'd like to nominate World Without End by Ken Follett, since we had much success reading The Pillars of the Earth last year.

message 6: by Sam (last edited Jun 12, 2013 11:03AM) (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) Great idea, Glynis! If you stick with The Poisonwood Bible (it's +500 pages, so it should be a legitimate nomination), then I nominate Wolf Hall. ;)

message 7: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Glynis wrote: "I would like to nominate The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. Is it long enough? If not, can I otherwise nominate Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Sorry I've not linked books as requested. Not su..."

Yep 545 pages, def long enough!

message 9: by Glynis Jane (new)

Glynis Jane (missgmad) | 0 comments Iselin, I am happy to go with The Poisonwood Bible. Glad it's considered hefty enough to qualify! Looking forward to the poll.

message 10: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) I second Under the Dome, and I'd like to nominate American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

message 11: by Sadaf (new)

Sadaf I would be on board with The Poisonwood Bible, but I have been wanting to read A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth for a while, and there is meant to be a sequel in the works (my apologies for not including a link at this time--I'm posting using the app).

message 12: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Sadaf wrote: "I would be on board with The Poisonwood Bible, but I have been wanting to read A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth for a while, and there is meant to be a sequel in the works (my apologies for not includ..."

A Suitable Boy has been on my reading agenda for a while. if I could, I would second most of the books here.

message 13: by Kristi (last edited Jun 14, 2013 04:26PM) (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) It seems there is a question about what defines a "Chunkster". Please see the opening post and click on the "Guidelines" link to see what qualifies as a chunkster. this is also where you should check out the responsibilities of nominating a book...

Also, there is no need to second a book...they will all be put in a poll and then you can vote, so feel free to nominate if you have a book you'd like to read.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) I want to read them all! Lets just use one each two months, lol, until we've read all the nominations!

message 15: by Jess :) (new)

Jess :) How about Gone with the Wind. Or would this fit better as a classic chunkster? Any thoughts?

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle8731) E :) wrote: "How about Gone with the Wind. Or would this fit better as a classic chunkster? Any thoughts?"

I think this could be a contemporary, and I'd love to read it!

message 17: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

509 pages, so just barely a Chunkster

message 18: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) I think in the past, when Gone with the Wind was discussed, most folks felt it was more of a classic...

message 19: by Maud (new)

message 20: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 456 comments I'm cool with Cloud Atlas

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Miller (machelriller) I nominate Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

message 22: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) I'll nominate 2666 by Roberto Bolaño, but there are a bunch of other nominees here already that I'd love to read too!

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) So, was A Suitable Boy officially nominated? See messages 11 & 12, above.

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) Michelle, I would think Gone with the Wind would be a classic chunkster, vs a contemporary one. But what do I know?

message 25: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Sandra wrote: "So, was A Suitable Boy officially nominated? See messages 11 & 12, above."

I think so. I just think Kristi hasn't gotten around to updating the main list yet.

message 26: by Angie (new)

Angie I'd like to second the nomination of Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

message 27: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) It is...like Loretta said, I haven't updated the first post yet. If it's in this thread it's officially nominated, I try to update the first post once per day, but this week's been kinda hectic. Will update this weekend!!

message 28: by Brandon (new)

Brandon I'll nominate 11/22/63 by Stephen King.

message 29: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I nominate NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

message 30: by Jess :) (new)

Jess :) If Gone with the Wind doesn't work (whoever constructs the poll should feel free to make that call), I'd like to nominate The First Man in Rome

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) Dang, I want to read them all! Keep nominating the "losers" of this poll in upcoming months so we'll get to them all, please.

message 32: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) I just bought First Man in Rome used from Amazon after the leader of our local book club told me its the best book she's EVER read!! So I don't know if I'll vote for my own nomination or one of these other great books, ha ha.

message 33: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) E:), I'm going to put Gone with the wind on the list. I figure it's one of those books that can go in either category so we can put it in.

message 34: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (tasseled) | 189 comments Darn it, I might actually vote against my nomination. I've meaning to read both Gone with the Wind and The First Man in Rome for ages!

message 35: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Lol...you could change your nomination...The First man in Rome isn't on the board yet, since everyone only gets one nomination.

message 36: by Jess :) (new)

Jess :) Sandra, that sounds like quite the endorsement. I have heard good things as well!

Kristi, actually, since there is some interest in The First Man in Rome and since opinion about Gone with the Wind fitting as a "contemporary" read was split, I'll withdraw my earlier nomination. Maybe we can try Gone with the Wind in the next Classic poll. :) Thanks and sorry for the hassle!

message 37: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Ok E:), I will update the list. No more Gone with the wind and add First man in Rome. Consider it done.

message 38: by Glynis Jane (new)

Glynis Jane (missgmad) | 0 comments When does voting begin? Don't want to miss it!

message 39: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) lol..I will post the poll tomorrow and send out a message for everyone to come and vote. I won't let you miss it.

message 40: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) The poll is up! Go vote for your favorite!

On a side note, did anyone get the invitation to vote? I sent one to myself and it never arrived, wanted to double check before I send out a group message.

message 41: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle8731) I got it twice, so it's working!

message 42: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) ok...I sent it twice, since I never got it. Thanks for the feedback and sorry for sending it twice!!

message 43: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) I didn't get it at all :(

message 44: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) huh...wierd. Maybe I'll send out a Group message and apologize if they got the other invitation.

message 45: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) I got it.

message 46: by John (new)

John (johnred) | 364 comments Hi everyone, new member here! So, does this mean nominations are closed?

There are some great choices so far, but if nominations remain open, I would *love* to read either Latro in the Mist by Gene Wolfe, or The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway.

In any case I hope to join in! Cheers!

Latro in the Mist

The Gone-Away World

message 47: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) John, Nominations are closed, but you can still vote for your favorite in the polls section. We'll get your nominations in the next round! Glad to have you!

message 48: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Looks like our next Contemporary Chunkster is going to be Wolf Hall!

I'll try to have the schedule up by July 3rd with a start date of July 7. That work for everyone who's going to be reading along??

Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1) by Hilary Mantel

message 49: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) Do we start reading on July 7th, or be ready to discuss by that date?

message 50: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) My book was shipped yesterday from England;-) I hope it will be here when we start reading:-) I do not like catch-up games:-)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.