Lovers of Paranormal discussion

Educate Me about Books

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine White | 15 comments Okay guys, so I’ve got a confession to make.

I’m a major fan of crime/paranormal/romance and vampire, of course but I’ve never really read any of the classics. I was always too young when they came out and now they’ve been sitting on my TBR list and I never seem to get round to them. I spent a few years not doing any real reading because of health issues so now I need your help.

Where do I start?

I can pretty much get most books so have a think and tell me your favourites that I should start with. I am willing to read stand alones or series.

I really needed to catch up on the classics I’ve missed out on. To give you an idea I’m talking about all the classics. Only this year did I pick up my first Jane Austen. I’ve never read Dracula or Sookie Stackhouse. I’ve never even glimpsed inside of a Lee Child novel. I’m open to read anything. If you want, you can browse my TBR and my Read book shelves to see what I have and haven't delved into.

message 2: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Elaine...kudos on picking up Jane Austen, first of all! She's awesome...or at least, she was. ;)

have you ever tried any Dickens? He's one of my fave classics. And seeing as you like pnr/suspense, it might be a good fit, especially some of his grittier stuff. They almost have a pnr feel to them, in some cases.

Personally, my fave of his is Pickwick Papers...made me laugh out loud. Victorian slapstick comedy, if you're into that sort of thing.

message 3: by Elaine (new)

Elaine White | 15 comments Rosanna wrote: "Elaine...kudos on picking up Jane Austen, first of all! She's awesome...or at least, she was. ;)

have you ever tried any Dickens? He's one of my fave classics. And seeing as you like pnr/suspense,..."

Thanks Rosanna. I have a few of his gritty stuff saved, but as always, sitting on a waiting line that is ever growing. :) And yes, I loved Jane Austen. I started with Sense and Sensibility, which I liked but I much preferred Pride and Prejudice. Haven't got round to the others yet, though I do plan to at some point. I'll had a search for the Pickwick Papers, I can always do with a good laugh :D

message 4: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Elaine wrote: "Rosanna wrote: "Elaine...kudos on picking up Jane Austen, first of all! She's awesome...or at least, she was. ;)

have you ever tried any Dickens? He's one of my fave classics. And seeing as you li..."

Hope you enjoy it! It was one of the books I "had" to read for my university work years ago, and I still remember how it had me rolling in the aisles.

message 5: by Elaine (new)

Elaine White | 15 comments Rosanna wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Rosanna wrote: "Elaine...kudos on picking up Jane Austen, first of all! She's awesome...or at least, she was. ;)

have you ever tried any Dickens? He's one of my fave classics. And s..."

Sounds good. I'll let you know how I get on with it, if I can find it. :)

message 6: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Elaine wrote: "Rosanna wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Rosanna wrote: "Elaine...kudos on picking up Jane Austen, first of all! She's awesome...or at least, she was. ;)

have you ever tried any Dickens? He's one of my fave..."

It's a big one, so also good for arm curls, if you decide you don't care for it. ;)

message 7: by Elaine (new)

Elaine White | 15 comments Rosanna wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Rosanna wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Rosanna wrote: "Elaine...kudos on picking up Jane Austen, first of all! She's awesome...or at least, she was. ;)

have you ever tried any Dickens? He's..."

LOL. I'll keep that in mind.

message 8: by Theresea (new)

Theresea Wasson | 32 comments As others have said, kudos to you for dusting off your classics shelf. There are so many classics out there that fall right into your natural loves, as well as of course Jane Austin and Dickens.

Have you ever read Lovecraft? The Cthulhu Mythos of his is what got me to read just about every one of his stories. And then of course there is always Mary Shelly with Frankenstein, Robert Louis Stevenson with Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Emily Brontë with Wuthering Heights, Charlotte Brontë with Jane Eyre, and then of as you mentioned at the start of your post with Bram Stoker (read just about everything of his as well). I will admit to never cracking open a single Sookie Stackhouse book myself either LOL!

The great thing about the classics is that you can pick up so many of them for free from Project Gutenburg http://www.gutenberg.org/, Feed Books http://www.feedbooks.com/ and even from the store of whatever ereader that you use (Kobo, Nook, Kindle etc), these are a huge source of my ereader library. Good luck expanding out into your classics reading.

message 9: by Elaine (new)

Elaine White | 15 comments Theresea wrote: "As others have said, kudos to you for dusting off your classics shelf. There are so many classics out there that fall right into your natural loves, as well as of course Jane Austin and Dickens.

..."

Thanks Theresea

Yup, I've been scouring Project Gutenburg ever since I got my first Kindle, and when you guys give me suggestions that's the first place I go :) It's such a great site.

Never read Lovecraft but heard good things. Thanks, I'll add that to my list. It certainly sounds interesting. And yes, I'm pretty much planning on working my way through Stoker's catalogue lol. Thanks for the great suggestions.

message 10: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (closkot) | 31 comments Here is a great site that also has the classics on audiobooks :) I think they work with project Gutenberg

http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/

message 11: by Theresea (new)

Theresea Wasson | 32 comments Thanks for the link Cassandra

message 12: by Cassandra (last edited Jun 15, 2013 01:18PM) (new)

Cassandra (closkot) | 31 comments Anytime Theresea :) I like helping where I can :)

Oops edited typo...lol

Danielle (Dannie) (daniellers2012) | 251 comments Thank you for the links! I was just checking some of them out & they have an awesome selection of books!!!! :)