Christian Mom Reads discussion

YA(Young Adult) Books > YA Book Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Makeda (new)

Makeda (makedar02) | 188 comments Mod
What books would you recommend for our YA readers?

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill | 8 comments I love YA lit! (Of course I do--I was an English teacher :) Going back a bit, I love anything Sharon Creech or Joan Bauer, and I am a Tolkien fanatic. All great literature and not worrisome for kids. My daughters may have other good ideas--I'll ask them to chime in when they're awake!

message 3: by Makeda (new)

Thank you. I am looking for some good books for my preteen. I don't want to shelter him, but I want him to read book that will Forster growth in some form or fashion. I'm just not sure which books are appropriate for him right now. I hope to have the time in the near future to read more YA books so that I can have a first hand look at their pros and cons.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Blair My boys enjoyed the G.A. Henty books (many to choose).
Irene Howat's Ten Boys set.
Young Patriots Series.
Sam Campbell's Living Forest Series.
The Farm Mystery Series by Stephen B.Castleberry
The Missionary Adventures of Bob & Arty by Jeff Barth
Bob Schultz books (can be read alone or as devotional/discussion with boys, also humorous)(Created for Work & Boyhood & Beyond)

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Blair For girls (all the above, plus)
Anne of Green Gables series.
Irene Howat's Ten Girls set.
Patricia St. John's books.
Lousia May Alcott's books - Little Women set, An Old-Fashioned Girl,Rose in Bloom, Eight Cousins.
Mark Twain's The Prince and the Pauper.
Eleanor H. Porter - Pollyanna & Just David.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Blair The Lamplighter books have many excellent books to choose from which are excellent for pre-teens, teens and adults or as family read alouds. For your pre-teen boys, I would specifically recommend the Boys of Grit.

message 7: by Makeda (new)

Thank you. I will look into it.