Children's Books > Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Makeda (new)

Makeda (makedar02) | 188 comments Mod
What Children's books do you recommend?

message 2: by Tif (new)

Tif The Mother-Daughter Book Club

My daughter and I read this "together". (I read a few chapters, she read a few chapters; we discussed what we'd read.)

This was a GREAT read for my 'tween daughter!

The story is about a group of young ladies and their mom's in a book club. In this book, the book club is reading Little Women. It was fun to read the parallels between the two sets of fictional characters. The best part? Reading a story about reading Little Women sparked an interest in my daughter!!!

She has finished book 2 in the past week and is 1/2 way through book 3! I guess I have my work cut out for me to catch up to her!!

message 3: by Makeda (new)

Tif wrote: "The Mother-Daughter Book Club

My daughter and I read this "together". (I read a few chapters, she read a few chapters; we discussed what we'd read.)

This was a GREAT read for my 'tween daughter..."

Thanks for this book recommendation. As you read the book, were there any topics in the book that were related to sensitive issues or any topics that other parents should be aware of prior to letting their daughters read it?

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Blair James Herriot's Treasury for Children.
Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories (set of 5).
Little House on the Prairie set (1-9).
Childhood of Famous Americans (many to choose).
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

message 5: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Contreras (goodreadscomsonyacontreras) | 6 comments I've been thinking about your request about recommendations for books. I compiled a list of our family's reads--we have eight boys so some of the classic 'girl' books you will not find here. The list is rather long so I will give you a link.
I apologize--I'm having some technical difficulty with the web page so please scroll down all the blank space to find the listing. http://bit.ly/19v4AqW

Hope this helps.

message 6: by Makeda (new)

You are right. That is an extensive list. I think I'm goin to review a few of the books that you suggested with my boys.

Thank you for putting forth so much effort regarding my request.

message 7: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Contreras (goodreadscomsonyacontreras) | 6 comments Glad to help! After posting, I started thinking of others...but alas the time is slipping.

message 8: by Makeda (new)

No worries...you did a lot.

message 9: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 1 comments One of my favorite new children's books is free this weekend on Amazon. It's a sweet and smart Christian adventure book meant to be read to little ones (the story is appealing, but the language isn't dumbed-down), shared with bigger kids, or just kept for yourself. ;-) My kids were beta readers for this book and they loved it; they are 9 and 11 and are avid readers. The Adventures of Geraldine Woolkins by Karin Kaufman

message 10: by Makeda (new)

thanks for the suggestion. I've just downloaded it

message 11: by Lola (new)

Lola Brooks | 5 comments I found this book from Tate Publishing that I thought you'd be interested in. It's called "You Are Wonderfully and Beautifully Made" by Lola Brooks.

https://www.tatepublishing.com/bookst...