The Sword and Laser discussion

George R.R. Martin Threads > Arya [Spoiler obviously]

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richardya (last edited Jun 12, 2013 12:56PM) (new)

Richardya | 58 comments I was watching some interviews with the producers of GoT who possess insider information. They were saying how all stories have happy endings and that's why (ie) Spiderman will never be suspenseful, the reader knows spiderman wins. They want the viewer/reader to think maybe the (ie) Lanisters win.

I am sure everyone is familiar with the heroes journey, I am starting to think Arya is on the villains journey, and she will go bad. It looks like she is destined for a satisfying Kill Bill revenge rampage, but that may be too predictable. Maybe she becomes the next Cersei.

message 2: by James (new)

James H. (jhedrick) | 128 comments You might be on to something with Arya. I'm not sure if you've read the books, but without spoilering anything she does descend into evil a bit. It's a little more Kill Bill than Cersei, but I'm interested to see how the TV show draws out Arya's story as well.

message 3: by Frog (new)

Frog Jones | 7 comments [The following is very spoilery. Don't read it if you're not current on the books]

Remember that the Lannisters have pissed off the Iron Bank. Of Braavos. So, the biggest source of money in the city where Arya is currently training to be a paid assassin.

There's a certain amount of convenience, there. I'm not sure if it will be all "Kill Bill," as I think Arya's techniques will only target specific people. Better analogy? "V for Vendetta."

message 4: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments Richardya wrote: "I was watching some interviews with the producers of GoT who possess insider information. They were saying how all stories have happy endings and that's why (ie) Spiderman will never be suspenseful..."

Spoilers! spoilers! spoilers!
I believe the lannisters contracted a huuuuuuge debt during the red wedding, and Arya or any other surviving Stark will come to make em' pay it till the last drop of blood

message 5: by Richardya (new)

Richardya | 58 comments Kamil wrote: "I believe the lannisters contracted a huuuuuuge debt during the red wedding, and Arya or any other surviving Stark will come to make em' pay it till the last drop of blood "

That is what you would think is coming with any other author. But Martin likes playing with what you think of characters.
Remember how he introduced Jamie, throwing a kid out the window. The Hound killed a kid too. Then, slowly you start to like them. I would not be surprised if he takes one of the people we start out loving and makes us hate them.

I never finished the last book but maybe Ill go back.

message 6: by James (new)

James H. (jhedrick) | 128 comments Oddly, I've preferred Arya in the TV show over Arya's story in the book, because I've had trouble understanding where GRRM was going wither story.

message 7: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments Richardya wrote: "Kamil wrote: "I believe the lannisters contracted a huuuuuuge debt during the red wedding, and Arya or any other surviving Stark will come to make em' pay it till the last drop of blood "

That is ..."

i guess you weren't paying attention

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie (calenmir) | 211 comments Richardya wrote: "Kamil wrote: "I believe the lannisters contracted a huuuuuuge debt during the red wedding, and Arya or any other surviving Stark will come to make em' pay it till the last drop of blood "

That is ..."

I do like how he almost takes it as a challenge to set up a villainous character than show off the fact that he can make even them sympathetic. I think he also does it to have yet another person we'll be sad when he tortures or kills though. At this point I'm pretty much expecting some Greek tragedy/Hamlet "everyone dies, the end." business though.

message 9: by Darren (last edited Jun 15, 2013 03:31AM) (new)

Darren Book Arya is I think, well on her way to becoming a psychopath by adwd. Certainly, that is what her trainers want of her, for obvious reasons. I hope there is a redemptive arc for her, but I don't see any sign that Martin believes in redemption, only revenge.

message 10: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments Darren wrote: "Book Arya is I think, will on her way to becoming a psychopath by adwd. Certainly, that is what her trainers want of her, for obvious reasons. I how there is a redemptive ark for her, but I don't s..."

what about theon greyjoy? at the end of adwd he's kinda redeemed

message 11: by Darren (new)

Darren That's an interesting argument. I'm not sure I'd consider him redeemed, but I can see how he might be on his way.

message 12: by James (new)

James H. (jhedrick) | 128 comments Kamil wrote: "Richardya wrote: "Kamil wrote: "I believe the lannisters contracted a huuuuuuge debt during the red wedding, and Arya or any other surviving Stark will come to make em' pay it till the last drop of..."

Thank you for your contribution to the conversation, Kamil, but I don't think it's unreasonable to argue that Arya's story is one of the slowest developing & open ended in GRRM's universe. Some of the other characters' arcs have been more surprising (Theon, Jaimie, etc.) but Arya's arc could resolve itself in a variety of ways still.

message 13: by Rasnac (new)

Rasnac | 336 comments I fear Arya will murder Tyrion someday in the future.

message 14: by Darren (new)

Darren @Kamil

I thought the Church assumed the Lannister debt as the price of re-forming their militant order.

message 15: by James (new)

James H. (jhedrick) | 128 comments If I remember correctly, the Church forgave the Crown's debt to it, rather than assuming all the Crown's liabilities to other investors.

message 16: by Darren (new)

Darren James wrote: "If I remember correctly, the Church forgave the Crown's debt to it, rather than assuming all the Crown's liabilities to other investors."

That would make more sense. Been a while.

message 17: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments James wrote: "If I remember correctly, the Church forgave the Crown's debt to it, rather than assuming all the Crown's liabilities to other investors."

The grand sept did, but not the starks

message 18: by James (new)

James H. (jhedrick) | 128 comments Kamil wrote: "James wrote: "If I remember correctly, the Church forgave the Crown's debt to it, rather than assuming all the Crown's liabilities to other investors."

The grand sept did, but not the starks"

What about the Starks? I don't think they had anything to do with the Crown's debt, other than Ned being the hand for awhile.

message 19: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments James wrote: "Kamil wrote: "James wrote: "If I remember correctly, the Church forgave the Crown's debt to it, rather than assuming all the Crown's liabilities to other investors."

The grand sept did, but not th..."

I was talking about a blood feaud and not about affairs of the state

message 20: by Darren (new)

Darren Kamil wrote: "James wrote: "Kamil wrote: "James wrote: "If I remember correctly, the Church forgave the Crown's debt to it, rather than assuming all the Crown's liabilities to other investors."

The grand sept d..."

Well, then, what are you talking about?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

It's been awhile but I had the understanding the Church absorbed the debt when the new military group,called the Sparrows, came to town.