Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Young Adult Fiction > What qualifies?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 248 comments Basically, my question is "What makes a work Young Adult fiction?

Is it the age of the characters? The subject matter? The amount of possibly questionable material in it?

I ask mainly because, looking over my work for a major overhaul, several points jumped out at me which made me consider that it may be better with a younger audience. Specifically, there is no swearing, no gore, and only one scene which is sexually suggestive but not graphic.

I'm currently preparing to do a major overhaul and I'm wondering if these don't push it towards young adult fiction, I may need to add those factors into the pile of things to be addressed.

Thanks.

message 2: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 326 comments From what I've been told by a couple YA authors I know, the main qualification is that the main characters are high school-aged. Junior high characters pushes it to Middle Grade; college-aged characters makes it New Adult.

Beyond that, subject matter, violence, sex, and so on are flexible. Both Sarah Dessen and James Dashner are YA authors, but there's no crossover between them except the ages of their characters.