Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Wetware (Ware #2)
This topic is about Wetware
Book Issues > ISBN wrong for Rudy Rucker's Wetware

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo Rhett (jorhett) | 23 comments So I have this book in my hands. It's the 1988 first printing by Avon, with ISBN 0-380-70178-2. I'm happy to scan this and send it to you.

The following link has the info right, but the ISBN is shifted to the right twice so it's missing the last 72 on it. I can supply a cover scan for this, since it doesn't match any of the other covers.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22...

However, I noticed that another printing of the book from Eros with a different cover 9 years later has the exact same ISBN. Unless Eros bought Avon, that seems unlikely?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27...

How do we proceed? What would you like me to do for proof?

message 2: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments I got rid of the edition with the wrong ISBN as it was definitely incorrect.

It is common for books to be reprinted with updated covers, dates and publishers (especially as publishing houses change their imprints). It's also not rare to see ISBNs reused for completely different books.

I don't see anything that leads me to believe that the second entry is wrong (except the publisher, though Eos was an imprint of Avon for a time, it doesn't look correct in this case), only that the ISBN also belongs to the first printing edition that you hold in your hand.

To take care of this we create alternate cover editions. We will create another edition of the book with the specifications of the book you have in your hands. Due to technical limitations this edition will not have an ISBN added to it but it will be available for you to add to your shelves with your cover and publication date.

I started an alternate cover edition for your book here.

The easiest way to get us the cover is to add it to your profile using this link, once a librarian has added it to the book you can remove it from your profile.

Any of the following information to help fill out the book's information would be helpful as well:

-Format (Hardcover, Paperback)
-Page Numbers

message 3: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo Rhett (jorhett) | 23 comments Thanks, Vicky. I don't need yet another edition created -- all of the publishing details match except the ISBN of the first one I mentioned. Can we simply adjust its ISBN and I'll send you a cover image?