Bookworm Buddies discussion

Bookworm Chatter > Favorite Passages or Quotes from books.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 587 (587 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Janie Johnson | 13984 comments Mod
I thought it would be awesome to have a favorite 'passage' from books we read. Those lines that really grab ya. If you got em, post em.

message 2: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Ok going through some of my Stephen King books this evening I found this passage/poem from Stephen Crane, out of King's Four Past Midnight collection, and it inspired this thread. Enjoy...

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.

I said, "Is it good friend?"
"It is bitter--bitter," he answered
"But I like it
Because it is bitter
And because it is my heart.

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) This is a great idea Janie!

From The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

“I don't want to be married just to be married. I can't think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can't talk to, or worse, someone I can't be silent with.”

message 4: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Thanks Julia, I thought so too. There is always something in a book that I find to be profound so I figured we could have a place to post them.

message 5: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments Janie wrote: "I thought it would be awesome to have a favorite 'passage' from books we read. Those lines that really grab ya. If you got em, post em."

I like this idea, Janie! I'm always highlighting great passages/quotes, so I'll be back!

message 6: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments Julia wrote: "This is a great idea Janie!

From The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

“I don't want to be married just to be married. I can't think of anything lonelier than spen..."

That's deep, Julia!

message 7: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

From Hannibal, Thomas Harris

If you believe you are beyond harm, will you go inside? Will you enter this palace so prominent in blood and glory, follow your face through the web-spanned dark, toward the exquisite chiming of the clavier? The alarms can not see us. The wet policeman lurking in the doorway cannot see us. Come....

message 8: by Tilak (new)

Tilak Khurana | 5 comments From Wisdom Of Heart
If you want to find richer meaning and purpose in your life, just keep loving

message 9: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Awesome Tilak! I love that!

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 233 comments No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

From The Hellbound Heart

message 11: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC An excerpt from Shantaram:

So much, too much, of the good that I felt in those years of exile was locked in the prison cell of my heart: those tall walls of fear; that small, barred window of hope; that hard bed of shame. I do speak out now. I know now that when the loving, honest moment comes it should be seized, and spoken, because it may never come again. And unvoiced, unmoving, unlived in the things we declare from heart to heart, those true and real feelings wither and crumble in the remembering hand that tries too late to reach for them.

message 12: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I love the poetics of that Chuck, awesome!

message 13: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Janie wrote: "I love the poetics of that Chuck, awesome!"

I thought too, Janie. I just love that book.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome quote, Chuck. Can't wait to read the book.

message 15: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) From - The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

“Good people are good people; religion has nothing to do with it.”

message 16: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

From Four Past Midnight, The Langoliers

Don't give up your fear, but don't give into it either. Sit still and try to reason things out.

message 17: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Impulse - Ellen Hopkins

He's a bright planet
in the dark morning
sky of my existence
Somehow seeing him,
even with his varied flaws,
buoys me with hope.
I am better for knowing him.

message 18: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay :

Whenever she comes back from there, it's like she's out of focus for a few days, like a hologram that keeps blurring in and out. She's always been like that, like music and lyrics to two different songs.

message 19: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "From Hannibal, Thomas Harris

If you believe you are beyond harm, will you go inside? Will you enter this palace so prominent in blood and glory, follow your face through the web-spanned dark, towa..."

So poetic and dark! I love this one, Janie!!

message 20: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I love that about Harris, being so poetic in his writing, and I noticed it even more the more I read.

message 21: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "I love that about Harris, being so poetic in his writing, and I noticed it even more the more I read."

Yes, he is certainly good at what he does!

message 22: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Burned - Ellen Hopkins

"It was paradise awaiting Armageddon."

message 23: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Burned - Ellen Hopkins

"It was paradise awaiting Armageddon.""

I really like this one a lot, too, Janie!:)

message 24: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Dustin Hopkins is so poetic, I could have posted so many of her quotes out of her books. I have really grown to love her writing.

message 25: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Great idea Janie!

Here are a couple I've come across in Weaveworld...

"True joy is a profound remembering; and true grief the same."

"Who can call a man dead whose words still hush us and whose sentiments move?"

and from Gatsby...

"Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead."

message 26: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

All nice quotes you posted Michelle!

message 27: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Four Past Midnight - The Langoliers - Quoted by J.R.R. Tolkien - "You must be careful each time you step out your front door, because your front walk is really a road, and the road leads ever onward."

message 28: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments "True joy is a profound remembering; and true grief the same."

Yay, I love these, Michelle! Thank you so much for sharing!

message 29: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Four Past Midnight - The Langoliers - Quoted by J.R.R. Tolkien - "You must be careful each time you step out your front door, because your front walk is really a road, and the road leads ever onward.""

Beautiful.

message 30: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Dustin Hopkins is so poetic, I could have posted so many of her quotes out of her books. I have really grown to love her writing."

You've piqued my interest in her work, as well, Janie!

message 31: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Dustin wrote: "True joy is a profound remembering; and true grief the same."

Very nice ones Dustin. And yea I think you could enjoy Hopkins stuff. I know I do and I know I tend to go on and on about her.

message 32: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Dustin wrote: "True joy is a profound remembering; and true grief the same."

Very nice ones Dustin. And yea I think ..."

Thank you, Janie. Which Hopkins book would you recommend to someone that's never read her before?

message 33: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jun 22, 2013 05:54PM) (new)

Well it would depend on what they were looking for, she has the Crank series and then she has separate books. I have to say I loved the Crank series simply because I love series, but then I read Burned, and loved that story. I would have to say I would recommend any of them. Whoever reads the stories needs to know that the even though the books are fictional they are based on true life events which make them even more profound to me.

message 34: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Another one from Weaveworld...

“As long as they could still be moved by a minor chord, or brought to a crisis of tears by scenes of lovers reunited; as long as there was room in their cautious hearts for games of chance, and laughter in the face of God, that must surely be enough to save them, at the last. If not, there was no hope for any living thing.”

message 35: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Nice one Michelle, I like it a lot!

message 36: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Hannibal Rising - You just gotta love the poetic side of Thomas Harris.

He saw a skein of blue incense smoke cross the window like a distant flight of birds, and the blue vein faint in Lady Murasaki's forearm as she held a flower, the sun pink through her ear. Chiyoh's lute sounded softly from behind a screen.

message 37: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Well it would depend on what they were looking for, she has the Crank series and then she has separate books. I have to say I loved the Crank series simply because I love series, but then I read Bu..."

Okay, thank you, Janie. Cranked sounds great!

message 38: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Michelle wrote: "Another one from Weaveworld...

“As long as they could still be moved by a minor chord, or brought to a crisis of tears by scenes of lovers reunited; as long as there was room in their cautious hea..."

Barker writes so beautifully, doesn't he, Michelle?

message 39: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Hannibal Rising - You just gotta love the poetic side of Thomas Harris.

He saw a skein of blue incense smoke cross the window like a distant flight of birds, and the blue vein faint in Lady Murasa..."

Poetic as always, I love it!!

message 40: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I really love Harris, sad he does not have very many books though :/ Chris and I will be starting Black Sunday soon. And I think that is it with his books. So it is pretty sad.

message 41: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "I really love Harris, sad he does not have very many books though :/ Chris and I will be starting Black Sunday soon. And I think that is it with his books. So it is pretty sad."

Yeah, he isn't prolific like you'd things he'd be.. very sad, indeed..

message 42: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Dustin wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Another one from Weaveworld...

“As long as they could still be moved by a minor chord, or brought to a crisis of tears by scenes of lovers reunited; as long as there was room in t..."

He does Dustin... very descriptive and poetic :)

message 43: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Michelle wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Another one from Weaveworld...

“As long as they could still be moved by a minor chord, or brought to a crisis of tears by scenes of lovers reunited; as long as ther..."

Aww, good, I'm very happy to hear that, Michelle!!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

In a totally different vein, I have a couple of quotes on reading from a delightful little book I started last night The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

"Because there is nothing I would rather do than rummage through bookshops, I went at once to Hastings & Sons upon receiving your letter. I have gone to them for years, always finding the one book I wanted--and then three more I hadn't known I wanted."

and

"That's what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you onto another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It's geometrically progressive--all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment."

message 45: by Squire (last edited Jun 27, 2013 05:48AM) (new)

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments This is one of my favorite openings to a novel:

"It was in that year when the fashion in cruelty demanded not only the crucifixion of peasant children but a similar fate for their pets, that I first met Lucifer and was transported in Hell; for the Prince of Darkness wished to strike a bargain with me."

The War Hound and the World's Pain, A dark historical romance.

message 46: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Oh yes Squire, what a way to start off a book! Nice one!

message 47: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Squire wrote: "This is one of my favorite openings to a novel:

"It was in that year when the fashion in cruelty demanded not only the crucifixion of peasant children but a similar fate for their pets, that I fir..."

Wow, that really reels you in, doesn't it!

message 48: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments The Catcher in the Rye, p. 1:

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.."

message 49: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Parry (kathrynmorgan-parry) | 93 comments "Last Night I Dreamt
I Went To Manderley Again." RebeccaRebecca

message 50: by Squire (last edited Jun 27, 2013 02:38PM) (new)

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments Dustin wrote: "Wow, that really reels you in, doesn't it!"
..."

My favorite fantasy novel. Michael Moorcock is one of the very best. If you've never read any Moorcock, try this short novel. If you don't become a fan, nothing he writes will make you one.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12