Aussie Readers discussion

The Flyer (Pitsford Series #1)
This topic is about The Flyer
Our Authors Spotlight > author of The Snow Falcon

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Harrison | 3 comments Kiwi, so almost an Aussie!
So, back to editing The Flyer. The first 100 pages of the novel concerns William’s early life up to the point where he meets the other main characters. When I wrote the story, his early life was essential, in my mind, to creating a fully formed character the reader could identify with. The Flyer could be described as a love story, but it is much more than that. In the second half, where the story moves to France against the backdrop of the first war to be fought in the air, the focus remains on the relationships between the characters, but the setting provides elements of danger and action too. My overriding goal from the beginning was always to write about William. I wanted to portray him as a strong character who overcomes repeated adversity, but who is affected by the events of his life. I saw him as lonely and emotionally distant, though always acting from the conflict that arises from his deep-seated desire to be loved and to belong and the fact that the people he cares about most represent the very kinds of people he has struggled against all of his life. My problem was that if I cut the first 100 pages, all the events that show how William became the person he is are lost. How could I do that?

From my blogStuart Harrison

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - added it

Brenda | 67628 comments Mod
Why would you want to cut the first 100 pages Stuart? Congratulations on the progress of The Flyer too, with you editing now, you aren't far from finishing, are you?

message 3: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Harrison | 3 comments Brenda wrote: "Why would you want to cut the first 100 pages Stuart? Congratulations on the progress of The Flyer too, with you editing now, you aren't far from finishing, are you?"

Hi Brenda, I had to make the cut so the book meets industry guidelines for length. It's all about cost. There's a post about it on my blog. The book is finished, and published in the longer format, which I prefer, but to submit to agents I needed to hit no more than 110 thousand words. Have a look at www.stuartharrison.com