Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory discussion

Book vs. the movies, One movie vs. the other

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki G I saw something on another site about how the movie in 2005 did such an injustice to the one in 1972, but Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the 2005 version, was my favorite movie with that person in it.

Since I never saw the 1972 version, I could make no comment. Other than to say 2005 Willie Wonka LOOKED about 10 THOUSAND times better than 1972 Willie Wonka, the Willie Wonka who made the disparaging remarks about 2005's Willie Wonka. But I kept my mouth closed b/c I didn't SEE the 1972 version of Willie Wonka and have never read the book.
I was inspired to read the book after watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, 2005 version.

Isn't being inspired to read the book a good thing, even if the 2005 performance was nothing like the 1972 performance?
And what performer wants to be reproduced in exact terms anyway? My ex-husband was a performer and he said most performers would find it inSULTing if you reproduced their version exactly.
Apparently, SOME performers will be inSULTed if you try to reproduce their work even if it's DIFFERENT from their own version.

I want to know what people who've actually seen both movies and maybe read the book think of the two movie versions.

message 2: by Somerandom (new)

Somerandom Hmm. It's just personal preference and interpretation of the text and/or movies. I enjoy both movie adaptions and the book.

Personally, I don't really have a preference. Both directors celebrated Roald Dahl's signature style as an author, they just focused on different aspects. The 71 version had whimsy, heart and silliness. The second celebrated Dahls darker tendancies and his dry dark sense of humor. I mean I love Roald Dahl but his books were all kind of strange, creepy and odd. So I really don't see the point of this little war or why some people were so shocked that the second movie was creepy and demented. It was Tim Burton showing you what he saw as he read Roald Dahl. I'd be a bit freaked out if it wasn't dark and uncomfortable, to be honest.

Michelle Black I thought the 2005 version was more like the book. Willy Wonka is kinda creepy in the book from what I remember

Maddie Sylvia wrote: "I prefer the book over both movies, but if I had to make a choice between the two films it would definitely be the 1970s version. It had a better sense of humor than the 2005 film and had a lighter..."

I completely agree! The second one was a little too sinister in some scenes whereas the first shared empathy and emotion. Nonetheless, I think the books are truly unbeatable because the content is far more detailed and thought out.

message 5: by Poppy (new)

Poppy I love both movies but I have to say, the 2005 movie is better. Although Mr Wonka has a white face, he is more outgoing and that suits him more.