The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #132 - Get out the vote!

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (new)

Becca (Becca_Canote) | 101 comments It's a record pronunciation day for Veronica but then Tom gets picky about the space-time continuum. Also, new sponsor! And July book vote! Yay!

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2013/6/...

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4102 comments Hi, Becca! ;)

Of course, I won't have a chance to listen tomorrow but I'm stoked for a new episode. Thanks again to the entire team for giving me this aural present every week. :)

message 3: by Casey (new)

Casey | 654 comments This was fun. Thanks guys!
Question: Will the anthology be illustrated? Of course feel free to ignore this if you'd rather not talk about the anthology in here.
Regardless though, great show.

message 4: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1139 comments Mod
Casey wrote: "This was fun. Thanks guys!
Question: Will the anthology be illustrated? Of course feel free to ignore this if you'd rather not talk about the anthology in here.
Regardless though, great show."

It *might* be illustrated, but that's not guaranteed.

message 5: by Casey (new)

Casey | 654 comments Cool!
Crosses fingers and turns up Simon & Garfunkel

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 827 comments Yay for Bitburger, although it's not my favorite German beer. (I'm a bit of what we call a "Lokalpatriot", i.e. a person that shamelessly promotes the place they live in or come from, so I prefer the beers from my area.)

"Sorry" is "Entschuldigung", but you can actually say "Sorry". It's one of the English words that found their ways into German and are now used frequently. ("Cheers" is "Prost", by the way)

message 7: by Perrin (new)

Perrin (phunkysai) | 8 comments Tom wrote: "It *might* be illustrated, but that's not guaranteed."

What would be cool is if you did a separate contest beforehand for illustrations, and the winner from this community would get to illustrate the book!

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 827 comments And damn you, Veronica, for mentioning that wine. Now I want it, if just for the name. I can't seem to find any online shops that import it, though. Grrrrr.

message 9: by Nancy (new)

Nancy O'Toole (temporaryworlds) | 135 comments Just listened to the episode. I was just thinking about the anthology this morning, so the update was well timed!

As for finishing books, I know the reason I feel the need to finish is because I don't feel like I can really give my opinion on something I haven't experienced completely. I do lem a few books a year (especially when they're really long, sorry Tigana!), but I don't feel comfortable posting a review on goodreads if I haven't finished a book. For all I know, that last chapter could have been amazing.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) Thx for the show!

message 11: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6000 comments Maybe we should just pick a Bujold book. :)

message 12: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments Oh, I'm doing the Clarion Write-a-thon. Don't think I'll get any sponsors but as I'm already doing 400 words a day, I though I might as well have another encouragement. I haven't actually made an effort to get sponsors yet...

Good to hear you've started the anthology reading! Good luck with that :)

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott | 312 comments Welshie!!!!!!

message 14: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Good podcast and congrats on the new sponsor.

As for voting, I voted for Snow Crash and I'm not changing it, although I did buy Redshirts this past weekend. I just don't think it will make good discussion topics.

message 15: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments 10 and thousand

message 16: by Kevin (last edited Jun 13, 2013 07:52PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Since in a sense, a Culture book has already been read, I would suggest to read one of Banks's many stand along books, which many ignore.

message 17: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2432 comments Kevin wrote: "Since in a sense, a Culture book has already been read, I would suggest to read one of Banks's many stand along books, which many ignore."

Since it still needs to fit into S&L I would suggest either Transition or The Algebraist

message 18: by Noomninam (new)

Noomninam | 109 comments AndrewP wrote: "Kevin wrote: "Since in a sense, a Culture book has already been read, I would suggest to read one of Banks's many stand along books, which many ignore."

Since it still needs to fit into S&L I woul..."

I'm curious in what sense a Culture book has been read. But I second the Algebraist -- a big, fat, page-turner of a space opera (among other things).

message 19: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4102 comments Great show, as usual. I loved how Veronica brought up what I was thinking while listening to Among Others, about the reality of the magic. Now that I've finished the book, I'm going to wander into the forum threads around here. And maybe I'll go change my vote for July's book. ;)

message 20: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2432 comments Noomninam wrote: "I'm curious in what sense a Culture book has been read. But I second the Algebraist -- a big, fat, page-turner of a space opera (among other things). ..."

The Player of Games was a renegade read for some of us this month.

message 21: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6672 comments Mod
Lol Purple Wedding. Nice Veronica.

message 22: by Matt (new)

Matt Hebert | 14 comments Louise wrote: "Oh, I'm doing the Clarion Write-a-thon. Don't think I'll get any sponsors but as I'm already doing 400 words a day, I though I might as well have another encouragement. I haven't actually made an e..."

Good excuse to donate to Clarion this time ... been meaning to for a couple of years. And anyone who hasn't read Louise's "Over The Waves" on Strange Horizons, do check it out. Shocking if she doesn't get into SLANTH.

message 23: by Erik (new)

Erik Redin (erik_redin) | 149 comments Perrin wrote: What would be cool is if you did a separate contest beforehand for illustrations, and the winner from this community would get to..."

Yeah, I was hoping the community would get to submit illustrations as well. I'm much better at illustrating than at writing. But I guess the logistics of taking submissions to match up with the various stories (which haven't even been selected yet) would be incredibly difficult.

On the article about why we feel compelled to finish a novel even if we're not enjoying it, I'm totally with Tom. The only reason I keep reading is because I'm hoping it gets better. As someone who's read comic books most of his life, dropping something from my pull list has always been such an excruciating decision because I'm constantly having thoughts like: "I know the last 5 issues have been terrible, but may this next one will be awesome." And I'm the same way with novels, "maybe it's the next chapter that will finally get good." It's less guilt that motivates me to keep reading and more fear that I'm going to miss something great.

message 24: by Matt (new)

Matt Hebert | 14 comments I thought Tom mentioned in this podcast that Paolo Bacigalupi had attended a Clarion workshop, and I was interested to know what year. I can't seem to find any connection, even, between Clarion and Bacigalupi. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

message 25: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1139 comments Mod
Matt wrote: "I thought Tom mentioned in this podcast that Paolo Bacigalupi had attended a Clarion workshop, and I was interested to know what year. I can't seem to find any connection, even, between Clarion and..."

I did say that and now I can't find out where I got that from. I thought it was Cory Doctorow's Boing Boing post bt there's no mention of it there.

message 26: by Mark (new)

Mark Kaye | 122 comments This is posted just for fun. The book is pronounced I.D. not Id. I am basing this on it preceding book VN pronounced V.N. Sorry Veronica. :)

message 27: by Noomninam (new)

Noomninam | 109 comments Saranar wrote: "This is posted just for fun. The book is pronounced I.D. not Id. I am basing this on it preceding book VN pronounced V.N. Sorry Veronica. :)"

I really enjoyed the previous book and look forward to grabbing this one. Madeline Ashby is also the first author in a concept anthology, to be sold later, but first featured at no charge on the Boing Boing website. Only had time to read the beginning so far, but here's the link for anyone interested:
http://boingboing.net/2013/06/28/soci...