Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

66 views
Book Issues > Someone Incorrectly Changed my Titles!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Conway (melissaconway) | 4 comments Hi there!

My books are titled:

The Gossamer Sphere, Book One: The Gossamer Crown
The Gossamer Sphere, Book Two: The Triskele Galaxies
Xenofreak Nation, Book One: XBestia
Xenofreak Nation, Book Two: Mad Eye

Someone went in, I'm sure with good intent, and changed them, but not only are the titles now incorrect, but they left off the "T" in the first Gossamer Sphere book.

Would someone please fix this for me? Much appreciated!

M.


message 2: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments I made your requested changes; see if they are correct.


message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41003 comments Mod
From here:
Place the series information in parentheses after the title and any subtitle or transliteration. If the book is numbered in the series, place the number after the series name with the # symbol in front of it.


Edited accordingly.


message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Conway (melissaconway) | 4 comments Um, even if the author doesn't want it that way?


rivka wrote: "From here:

Place the series information in parentheses after the title and any subtitle or transliteration. If the book is numbered in the series, place the number after the series name with the..."



message 5: by MissJessie (last edited Jun 11, 2013 05:47PM) (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments Even though the book cover indicates the title as the author indicated and that's the title the author states is the title (so to speak)? Seems a little high handed to presume GR knows more than the author knows about their own work.

I suppose this is similar to informing authors with no initials in their names (JR, not J.R.) that GR knows more about their names than they do. Always found that fascinating.


message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41003 comments Mod
Goodreads policies aim for consistency.

Librarians who are unable to follow established policy often find themselves no longer librarians.


message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Conway (melissaconway) | 4 comments Thanks Rivka, I know you're only doing your job and I appreciate it. I'll contact Goodreads and attempt to clarify this policy.

:-)

M.


message 8: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments rivka wrote: "Goodreads policies aim for consistency.

Librarians who are unable to follow established policy often find themselves no longer librarians."



Thank you for the clarification, and the threat. As always, they are appreciated.


message 9: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Melissa wrote: "Thanks Rivka, I know you're only doing your job and I appreciate it. I'll contact Goodreads and attempt to clarify this policy."

It's probably worth noting that Rivka is a Goodreads Employee.


message 10: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments Absolutely. And as I said, I appreciate her clarifications. And of course she will do as she sees fit.


message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Conway (melissaconway) | 4 comments Thanks Vicky, I didn't know that. I did, however, already contact GR because I find the policy disturbing. My books are titled the way they are titled and I would like them to be accurately represented here. :-)

M.

Vicky wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Thanks Rivka, I know you're only doing your job and I appreciate it. I'll contact Goodreads and attempt to clarify this policy."

It's probably worth noting that Rivka is a Goodread..."



message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Conway (melissaconway) | 4 comments And thanks, MissJessie, for sticking your neck out for me!

M.


message 13: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments You are welcome Melissa, although it's possible/probable I'll get retaliated against given the threat above, the policy is deeply offensive to me (and apparently others).

The day has not yet come when having a stranger (group or individual) dictate how someone spells their name or titles their books is acceptable to me. As I said, it'll cost me I am sure, but I am copying this thread to GR so that it won't vanish and my opinion will be noted.


message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Conway (melissaconway) | 4 comments I was unaware that this was already an issue. Well, now that I've stumbled into it, I hope my opinion will also be noted. I would like my fans to be able to find my books!

M.


message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41003 comments Mod
MissJessie wrote: "You are welcome Melissa, although it's possible/probable I'll get retaliated against given the threat above"

Stating that you disagree with a policy is fine. Making edits contrary to policy is not.


back to top