Hydra Publications discussion

Horror > Who are your favorite villains?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (dlgardner) | 40 comments Mod
Tell us who's the scariest villain you've met in literature and what villains did you feel sorry for?

message 2: by Dianne (new)

I'd like to know. Sometimes villains are the hardest to write. One of my favorites is Wormtongue. To me he's scary because he's deceptive.

And the one villain I left feeling upset about was Anakin in Star Wars. I saw the series in order and was livid by the time I got to the third one.

message 3: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 30 comments I'm thinking about this. Over the past year I've been reading so many books I can't remember most without rereading my reviews or notes... And for a few of the series the villain turns out to be not such a bad guy and the really evil guy is someone else which is really confusing.

message 4: by Dianne (new)

I like villains that have some good in them. I think that's important to make those antagonists more believable. But I hate feeling sorry for them.

message 5: by James (new)

James Peercy (jameswilliampeercy) | 1 comments It is difficult to choose a particular example, though I think you do very well Dianne.

In general, I find villains with no moral character the worst. Those types of villains are likely to do anything, while those of good limit their responses. This usually makes the good work harder to find a way to counter evil actions and not appear evil themselves.

message 6: by Dianne (new)

In general, I find villains with no moral character the worst. Those types of villains are likely to do an..."

True, in a sense. But I don't believe them. That's why I find Wormtongue such an amazing villain. He loved Arowyn and yet his weakness for power and submission to Sauruman motivated his deeds.

The school of storytelling I subscribe to tells me to give my antagonist as much motive as my hero. I like the villains that have a goal and are determined to fulfill it, regardless of how sinister it is. They need to be dedicated to their cause. In Wormtongue's case, he was dedicated to pleasing Sauraman. He was, to me, a better villain and more believe able because he wasn't stereotyped.

I struggle with a particular villain I have in my wizard short stories. She's pretty rotten and hungry for power. I plan on doing a story about her so we can see her better and know why she is who she is. I just want it to be a unique situation. Not the typical, I was abused when I was a kid sort of thing. There's got to be something more that drives her to do what she does.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann Anderson (annanderson) Becky Sharpe, both protagonist and villain. Hard to feel sorry for her, tho, she's pretty awful.