The Hobbit, or There and Back Again The Hobbit, or There and Back Again discussion

The Desolation of Smaug

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami So the trailer of The Hobbit- The Desolation of Smaug has just come out today and i have just had about 5 heart attacks after watching it. The link is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcCK55... Everybody go and watch it!! Tell me what you think. Personally, I think that it is amazing. Salute to Sir Peter Jackson!!

Kate Murray I hyperventilated for the entire hour after I watched it! I am so exciteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! Except what's with Smaug's eyes?

Micaela I almost fainted when I saw it I am so excited and can't wait for the movie to come out.

Carolyn can't wait!!

message 5: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami Micaela wrote: "I almost fainted when I saw it I am so excited and can't wait for the movie to come out.
I'm really excited too except i think i actually did faint :)

johanna Kate wrote: "I hyperventilated for the entire hour after I watched it! I am so exciteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! Except what's with Smaug's eyes?"

I don't think they've completed the CGI yet. At least, that's what I'm telling myself -- that can't be the finished project ... he looked better at the end of the Unexpected Journey!

Ami wrote: "So the trailer of The Hobbit- The Desolation of Smaug has just come out today and i have just had about 5 heart attacks after watching it. The link is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcCK55... Ev..."

Wasn't it brilliant???? I literally died with excitement <3

Smaug ... and Mirkwood ... and the Barrels ... and Bilbo, and the dwarves, and Bard, and Laketown, and AHHHHH!!!! :D So excited!!

Mark It is still 6 months away, sadly

Micaela Am I the only one who thought that the guy at 1:18 looks like Will Turner from Pirates of the Caribbean?

Sarah im going to watch it with my big bro when it comes out, can't wait

Zhanaestilinski You call that a teaser trailer? They skipped right over the teased and expsoed all of the Hobbits ladies bits.

message 11: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara It was so good, can't wait for the movie!

Zhanaestilinski You call that a teaser trailer? They skipped right over the tease and exposed all of the Hobbit's ladies bits. I feel like I've been flashed in public or something. Why would they show Smaug, especially if the CGI wasn't completed !? No going back now.

And I guess lightening his eye color and putting eyeliner on him is supposed to make Orlando Bloom look younger, but it's funny because Bard looks more like him than him...

Trailer still looks great though, sort of reminds me of a live-action story book---glossy and fantasical.

Pickle the cgi looks rather poor but i thought that in the first movie. When you watch LotR the CGI looks great and more advanced than what was in the hobbit. All imo

message 14: by Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall (last edited Jun 13, 2013 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Micaela wrote: "Am I the only one who thought that the guy at 1:18 looks like Will Turner from Pirates of the Caribbean?"

That's Bard and no your not.

"Wasn't it brilliant???? I literally died with excitement <3
Smaug ... and Mirkwood ... and the Barrels ... and Bilbo, and the dwarves, and Bard, and Laketown, and AHHHHH!!!! :D So excited!!"

My thoughts exactly! By luck I googled the trailer not knowing it was just released(not kidding!) and saw "Uploaded 25 minutes ago" The fangirl in me had a heart attack(well obliviously not really but you get the picture) :D

Eleanor Rigby what was up with the redhead elf? that wasn't in the book. I hope they don't add MORE nonexistent characters...

Felicia I really, really, really wanna watch it! I LOVED the first one. I mean, yeah, it shouldn't really be called "The Hobbit", because it doesn't follow the book at all, but when you get over that, it's awesome!

Eleanor Rigby Parker wrote: "Eleanor Rigby wrote: "what was up with the redhead elf? that wasn't in the book. I hope they don't add MORE nonexistent characters..."

It's so maddening"

It is! they based the whole first movie around the "pale orc" antagonist and it doesn't even exist. Also Radagast is only passingly mentioned in the book! grrrrr

Marko Johanna ღ♣✽Hobbit and Proud✽♣ღ wrote: "Excuse me: Azog does exist, very much so. He is mentioned in The Hobbit no less than twice, which is more even than Radagast."

From a barely mentioned character to a major baddie is quite a reach. As was the bastardization of Radagast as a mad forest troll with a bunny sled.

The first film was a disappointment with all the crappy and campy action sequences (especially towards the end). I cannot see how the second part could not improve from it, but I fear that it will only turn out worse...

message 19: by Noah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noah Riding Kate wrote: "I hyperventilated for the entire hour after I watched it! I am so exciteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! Except what's with Smaug's eyes?"

evil characters always have down syndrome eyes :)

johanna Marko wrote: "Johanna ღ♣✽Hobbit and Proud✽♣ღ wrote: "Excuse me: Azog does exist, very much so. He is mentioned in The Hobbit no less than twice, which is more even than Radagast."

From a barely mentioned charac..."

I know, I just wanted to clarify that he did actually exist :)

message 21: by Noah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noah Riding So....Azog > Radagast....:P proof that evil wins in the end. :D

message 22: by Noah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noah Riding attacking by orcs > than attacking with sled bunnies :)

Nurlely I love the movie, although some of the scenes are not in the book. I love seeing the 'younger' Galadriel.

I am very excited to watch The Desolation of Smaug, although the trailer surprised me a bit. Where did that Tauriel pop up from? And Legolas?

I love the Hobbit so much and can't wait to see more of Bilbo, Bard, the Laketown peeps, and mostly... the awesome Thranduil.

Sunleister Micaela wrote: "Am I the only one who thought that the guy at 1:18 looks like Will Turner from Pirates of the Caribbean?"

Hahaha yeah. Even the husky voice matches that of Turner. :P

Sunleister Nurlely wrote: "I love the movie, although some of the scenes are not in the book. I love seeing the 'younger' Galadriel.

I am very excited to watch The Desolation of Smaug, although the trailer surprised me a bi..."

I would even go as far a saying that most of the movie didn't even pop up in the book. The first movie was an absolute dissapointment! They didn't even have the decency of changing the score! I can only hope that the second one is better. But watching the trailer it looks like it will yet again be something other than the book. Dwarfs fighting from their barrels, elves actively fighting the dwarves, Azog - yet again a main figure... Ohhh well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. And most importantly keep an open mind I guess.

message 26: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I can not wait to see it, but at the same time, I hope the extra characters do not take away from the story. Sadly, no movie will ever be just like the book it is "based on".

message 27: by Atia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Atia Oh my, I need to read it again!

message 28: by Juan Pablo (last edited Jun 16, 2013 08:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juan Pablo Felicia wrote: "I really, really, really wanna watch it! I LOVED the first one. I mean, yeah, it shouldn't really be called "The Hobbit", because it doesn't follow the book at all, but when you get over that, it's..."

Extacly my thoughts! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I loved the book and I found the first movie amazing.

Ezekiel Carsella idk it's not that good looking. Smaug looks not like a dragon, who the crap are the elves?, but I was like, "It's the barrels!!!" I gotta admit, I wasn't too keen on the book, but in hindsight it had a great plot and story line. The barrels was an ingenious idear. Did they show the bear in there? I didn't notice.

Nurlely Sunleister wrote: "...Ohhh well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. And most importantly keep an open mind I guess. "

Yep... we just have to wait and see.
I love good fantasy movies. If there are many additions in the movie of what is actually written in the book, I will just consider the movies as something different to the book... :)

Michael I think it's better that we consider the movies as "partially based upon" the books. Or as a seperate Middle Earth story... but being a movie called the Hobbit, you'd expect something more in the line of the book... bit disapointing.

message 32: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma @Micaela, @Kariema, @Rowenna and @Sunleister

Maybe Will Turner and Legolas look alike because they're both Orlando Bloom for real? In fact LotR was one of Bloom's first movies.

Matthew Williams Well, he's clearly padding this movie more than the last, introducing characters from the original trilogy and adding people who weren't even in the books. It looks exciting but it really doesn't feel like Jackson is honoring the source material at this point.

Jerad Copeland At work they gave us Man of Steel tickets. The Desolation of SMaug trailer made the whole trip worth it. Before the trailers I sat there turned to my g/f and told her "There's something I was excited for that comes on before Man of Steel, but I can't remember what it is..." enter the rock colored WB logo, loudly without realizing it "THE HOBBIT!" It even played a second time. Best trip to the cinema ever.

message 35: by Erica (last edited Jun 20, 2013 06:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erica Werner Okay okay.

1. Will Turner is the same actor as Legolas. Orlando Bloom. Solved. This wasn't a serious confusion, was it...? And yes, his eyes have been enhanced, for sure. To make him seem younger (still 600-ish I think!) I suppose. Also, LOTR was his very first film.

2. I agree that the CGI in The Hobbit isn't as gritty as in LOTR, but I also believe it was intentional. The Hobbit was written to a younger audience as more of a Fairy Tale than The Trilogy. However, that being said, I was still dissapointed in the pudgy pink CGI goblins, especially compared to the realistic stunt men in prosthetics in The Trilogy.

3. I don't think Radagast is a bastardization at all. Those that found his rabbit sled funny are simply immature. And yes, Peter Jackson is choosing to pull a lot of story from the appendicies in order to make The Hobbit into a trilogy as well. Plus, it gives more context, especially when we'll see Gandalf's point of view when he seperates from the dwarves. So-- those that say it doesn't follow the book at all, are you sure we read the same book? Peter Jackson is honoring the source material so much so that he's willing to dive into additional histories to fill out the story with meaning and context.

4. Yes Azog was a real character. And while I did not like him much in the movie, I can see why they included him so heavily. Thorin is such a driven character, that they needed a personification of what he was battling inside for a movie-going audience. Though I do think he should've been an actor, like Lurtz from FotR, rather than glossy CGI, because I did not find him frightening at all.

5. The red-haired elf is an invention for the film because Peter Jackson felt the male heavy cast needed some balance. Evangeline Lily will do a good job playing "Tauriel" I think, but I'm not sure that she is a necessary addition. Don't worry, the studios have confirmed that there will NOT be a love connection between her and Legolas, thank goodness.

6. "They didn't even have the decency of changing the score!" This is just plain false. Howard Shore (who composed the trilogy) composed a new score for The Hobbit. Have you listened to it? Of course they kept themes- the movies should all feel like a set, it is a prequel after all. But there are new themes and new compositions to fit The Hobbit. And frankly, if the only addition was The Misty Mountains song by the dwarves I wouldn't even be mad about it.

7. I just have to point out that Thranduil looks perfect.

Sunleister Emma wrote: "@Micaela, @Kariema, @Rowenna and @Sunleister

Maybe Will Turner and Legolas look alike because they're both Orlando Bloom for real? In fact LotR was one of Bloom's first movies."

We weren't (or for my part I wasn't) talking about Legolas but what seems to be Bard. He looks like Will Turner.

Also Erica, yes I have listened to the score otherwise I would not have commented on that. I find it a shame that Mr. Shore didn't "feelingly" change it more. I listen to the score a lot when I watch a movie (and on CDs afterwards) and I absolutely loved the score from LotR. I have listened to it so many times I know the CDs by heart. And that's the exact problem for me - it felt like I was hearing the soundtrack to The Fellowship of the Ring instead of being a seperate story on it's own called The Hobbit. I'm all for keeping the theme of the different regions (Shire, Rohan you name it). Mr. Shore made so many different versions of the same theme that it just never got old in LotR. These variations were just lacking in the Hobbit. I just didn't feel like listening to the Fellowship of the Ring anymore. I was so looking forward for new creations and the only one I got that's worth mentioning is The Misty Mountains.
Rant over. My hope is that in The Desolation of Smaug, since all of the characters will be in a new area of Middle Earth, that not only our eyes and imagination may feast on something new but our ears as well. :)

Erica Werner Sunleister wrote: "Emma wrote: "@Micaela, @Kariema, @Rowenna and @Sunleister

Maybe Will Turner and Legolas look alike because they're both Orlando Bloom for real? In fact LotR was one of Bloom's first movies."
We we..."

Ah ok, yes, Bard does look rather like him, the dark hair and all.

I see what you're saying there. I guess I just disagree then because I'm glad that the feeling matches! And amen to that, I'm sure Dale and Mirkwood will have fantastic new sounds.

message 38: by Abu (last edited Jun 20, 2013 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abu bessssssssssst trailer ever

message 39: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Murray Erica wrote: "Okay okay.

1. Will Turner is the same actor as Legolas. Orlando Bloom. Solved. This wasn't a serious confusion, was it...? And yes, his eyes have been enhanced, for sure. To make him seem younger (still 600-ish I think!)..."

He isn't actually 600-ish, he was there 3,000 years ago when Isildur screwed everybody up by not throwing the ring into Orodruin. Might not be mentioned in the book but it is shown in FotR.

Talitha So excited for the movie!!! :DDD awesome trailer....

but yeah, smaug's eyes looked so small :(

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

i can't wait for the movie i've watched the trailer so many times i almost have it memorized

message 42: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth Smaug looks stupid, but besides that it looks freaking awesome!

Keely Micaela wrote: "Am I the only one who thought that the guy at 1:18 looks like Will Turner from Pirates of the Caribbean?"
I thought so too!!!

♔ InfiniteRoyalty ♔ Oh my gosh!!! Going crazy!!! I cannot wait until that goes out!!!

Natan it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
can't wait to see it btw when does it come out

message 46: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Desolation of Smaug comes out December 13, 2013 in the US and UK.

S-The-Great OMG !!! It was absolutely FABULOUS !!! I really cant wait !! And I know it seems like its so far away in december but time passes so fast ! Did you guys see Thranduil ?!? Oh my ! I wonder though where will they end this part , definitely before the battle of five armies ! hmmm , probably when bard negotiates with thorin. Anyways it looks AMAZING ! I wish I could be there while their filming , it will be cool to work with them. Peter Jackson has truly transcendent !

message 48: by ERIN (new) - rated it 3 stars

ERIN SCHMIDT Nurlely wrote: "I love the movie, although some of the scenes are not in the book. I love seeing the 'younger' Galadriel.

I am very excited to watch The Desolation of Smaug, although the trailer surprised me a bi..."

Yes. We need much, much more Thranduil.

♔ InfiniteRoyalty ♔ Natan wrote: "it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..."

apparently, according to the trailer its December 13 I think...

message 50: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami Natan wrote: "it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..."
December 13! Soooo excited!!

« previous 1