Carnegie book wards 2013 discussion

General > Carnegie Events

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna | 122 comments Mod
So we have just over a week to go before the results are announced. What are you doing, with or without your reading group to celebrate the end of the scheme. Does any one have any special events planned?

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethutch) | 72 comments Mod
I have two events planned. One is tonight with a group of yr 5's who have been shadowing the Greenaway awards. They have been discussing the books on a blog with children in Canada. We are going to Skype them tonight to talk about the books and vote. We will then eat hotdogs and ice-cream. I'm very excited about this as it is the first time we have tried to do anything like this and the children have really enjoyed the blogging experience.

the second is an annual event held at our public library where 4 children from each group taking part is invited to lunch at the library. We split them into groups and have a final discussion about the books and a vote we then announce the winner as decided by the children in Guernsey and then we announce the real winner. This event is usually very enjoyable and I can't wait......

message 3: by Anna (last edited Jun 12, 2013 11:12AM) (new)

Anna | 122 comments Mod
Sounds like so much fun. Jealous of your hot dog evening!

How do you know the Guernsey vote - do you have all the groups meeting up?

We're just finalising an all day event on Wednesday at my colleague's school. There will be about 30 kids from 3 schools, mainly yr 7 and 8.

Actually the date this year is a problem. We traditionally create an event on the day of the announcement but the 'day' is a week earlier than in the past meaning my my 10s and yr 11 can't attend.

Yr 11 are still doing exams - some have 2; am and pm and yr 10 are on work experience so that's a bit sad as we have no older ones this year.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Ullman | 13 comments Had a Carnegie Conference in West Berks yesterday. 6 schools came together to make presentations to persuade us that their favourite books should win. Drama, props, videos, art work etc Brilliant day!

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Yes 4 children from each of the schools attend and then vote. This is how the Guernsey winner is decided. It is good fun!

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Karen, your presentations sound like a good idea. How old are the children that take part?

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Ullman | 13 comments KS3. It takes all day but overall they only get about 2 hrs to prepare by the time they get to know each other, get in groups (ideally one for each book but this year we had two for Wonder and none for BBB). Every year is different, it just depends on the skills of the students. In the past we have just had a poster presentation with amazing art work but this year we had one group who did videoed reviews + IT presentation + a bit of drama + some individual art work. If you know how to get photos on Goodreads I could post some pics of the students work. Most important is food and cake! At the end we present the Best Group Presentation, Best Individual Presentation and up to 4 Outstanding Contribution certificates with sweets.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna | 122 comments Mod
Cake features heavily at our conferences too!
Your day sound great Karen. Well done - who was the winner in terms of book popularity?

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Ullman | 13 comments Wonder, everyone gets to present their favourite book (within reason) which is why we ending up getting two Wonder groups. Can't see it winning myself but you never know.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna | 122 comments Mod
It certainly seems to capture the imagination of the 10-12 yr olds.

message 11: by Ela (new)

Ela | 34 comments Frustratingly I have exams all day on Wednesday, so I can't attend a conference :(

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I am going to the award seromony in London on Wednesday. In the past my school held a small celebration which included ice cream :) and we attended a conference with all the local schools.

message 13: by Anna (last edited Jun 16, 2013 03:26PM) (new)

Anna | 122 comments Mod
Ahh poor Ela :( We'll be thinking of you.
How did you get tickets fo the award ceremony Jasmine?
My daughter has just made some cute keyrings to represent the books as part of a quiz were having during our conference.

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna | 122 comments Mod
Just got all my things ready for our confrence tommorrow. 3 schools - about 35 of us altogether with Carnegie am, Greenaway pm and lots of cake in between!
Good luck with your exams Ela.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Good Luck Ella! We have 70 children coming along to our public library today between 11 and 1.30. Lot of talk about both Greenaway and Carnegie books. We all vote before the winner is announced and then let everyone know who won. Lunch is then eaten in the library. Looking forward to it!

message 16: by Anna (last edited Jun 19, 2013 12:05PM) (new)

Anna | 122 comments Mod
Hope you had a good day Elizabeth. Ours went really well. Our voting...
Group negotiated winners: Varied voting here but the two most pouplar books were Wonder and Weight of Water
Who do You want to win: this was really varied most had some real devotees with Wonder perhaps a marginal favourite the only book that had no votes was Greyhound of a Girl
Using the Carnegie Criteria who do THINK will be chosen Wonder
Reaction to the Announcement - Maggot Moon General dismay and disbelief!!! So nothing new there!

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Lovely day thanks :) I made everyone laugh by guessing the right winner...thanks to you guys!!!!! In Darkness and Verity were joint winners here in Guernsey. I did like Black Dog and some had chosen it so there was a mixed response to the results. They all enjoyed the food and I was too late for the chocolate brownie....note to self.....get in the line quicker!!!!