Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
The Book Thief > UNIQUE writing style - Did it work for you?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
Zusak uses an innovative writing technique that features a great deal of foreshadowing in the form of bold text announcements. He also allows the narrator to interrupt the story quite frequently to add his own observations. Critics were not always in favour of these features. Do you like Markus Zusak's writing style in this novel?

Kathryn (kdrury) | 112 comments I loved the 'foreshadowing' technique used at the beginning of different sections of the book. A quick scan gives the reader an idea of what is to come and yet doesn't spoil the plot in any way. I felt that this heightened the expectation as you read through the book.

On the other hand the 'interruptions' by the narrator did tend to annoy at times as they did often let you know in advance the fate of specific characters.

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments For the most part I also liked the writing structure used for this book. I thought it really kept the story moving and suited the style of storytelling found in the book.

Amanda Morrison | 5 comments I think the interruptions and foreshadowing authenticated the voice of Death. It displayed the arrogance and frustration he might have at being the master of an unwelcome trade and wisdom well beyond our understanding.