fiction files redux discussion

Authors > Octavia Butler

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Hello! So, I've been reading from this great anthology, Making Callaloo: 25 Years Of Black Literature. I'm just reading randomly in it, poems and fiction. This morning I read an AMAZING story by Octavia Butler. So I wandered over here to the good old FF to get a recommendation for a full length novel. Have any of you read her?

message 2: by Neil (new)

Neil McCrea | 204 comments I've read a bunch, and when she passed I was surprised to learn she lived just down the street from some friends of mine.

Kindred is probably her most famous novel, and it's certainly a powerful one. It is a time travel story dealing with a contemporary black woman who finds herself repeatedly sent back in time to the antebellum South.

I also enjoyed Fledgling. Every time I tell myself I'm done with a particular genre trope I seem to find a novel that makes me care about it again. In this case Butler managed to make me give a crap about vampires again.

message 3: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (last edited Jun 11, 2013 06:21PM) (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Is Fledgling scary and/or suspenseful, Neil? (I don't do suspense, I can't handle it.) I wouldn't mind reading a really good vampire story. I'm maybe a little burnt out on time travel at the moment.

The story I read this morning was called The Evening and the Morning and the Night. It was about a horrifying birth defect that was caused as a side effect of an anti-cancer drug, which was supposed to be a panacea. Have you read it?

message 4: by Neil (new)

Neil McCrea | 204 comments I haven't read it, although it sounds very much in accord with the themes she liked to play with.

I don't recall Fledgling as being particularly scary, but I devour so much adrenaline inducing, fear driven media, that I may be a little desensitized. I would suspect that there may be a few scenes that would prove too uncomfortable. For that matter there is a heavy suspense element in Kindred that may make that one a poor choice as well.

I will think about it for a bit.

message 5: by Neil (new)

Neil McCrea | 204 comments Maybe her Earthseed books? The Parable of the Sower and its sequel. I haven't read them, but they come highly recommended. They're a post-apocalyptic storyline, but I believe the focus is on the rebuilding of society after a massive environmental/economic collapse rather than on the turmoil of the collapse itself. Micha rated the Parable of the Sower 5 stars.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Corbett (robcrowe00) | 169 comments I really enjoyed the Xenogenesis trilogy (now called Lillith's Brood), which begins with a book called Dawn. It too is post apocalyptic, but instead an alien race abducts the last humans in order to assimilate their genes. Some spectacular revising of Frankenstein, miscegnation, and gender and identity follow.

message 7: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
You guys are the best. I've added Fledgling, Parable of the Sower and Dawn to my to-read list. By the way, I just was looking at her books in the goodreads database. I think I would probably never in a million years thought about reading Kindred based on the cover they show. It looks like a romance!

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Corbett (robcrowe00) | 169 comments Yay, Patty!

message 9: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Maureen (modusa) | 683 comments Mod
patty, back on the old fiction files i had a friend named brandon who was always touting her work. if you are enjoying your foray with her, i could ask him for some additional recommendations...

message 10: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Just finished Kindred. I love her writing. Kindred was a real page turner, and very thought-provoking. I am a little upset that it ended, but that's the problem with a lot of novels. I'm not reviewing or rating books this year (2013) but I'm very happy to have discovered Octavia Butler.

message 11: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

Elizabeth (RedBrick) | 221 comments Mod
I am creating an Octavia Butler group read with Dan. Anyone who is interested in reading "The Fledgling" should come on over.

message 12: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
For convenience, the link to the Fledgling thread that Elizabeth started is:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...