The Night Circus The Night Circus question

Good Books for 8th graders
//claire //claire Jun 11, 2013 02:16PM
I am looking for some good books to read. I love the Night Circus, Jane Eyre, Entwined, and Great Expectations. I hate books such as Matched and the Hunger Games. I am not allowed to read Harry Potter. I would like the books to be mostly clean (language, relationships, etc.) Thanks so much!

The 'Girl who could Fly' is fabulous, and Shannon Hale's books are really good to. The writing isn't super advanced or anything (based off the classics you listed, you sound like more of a sophisticated reader) but the plot and characters are just really great for an easier read thats not super heavy.
If you liked Great Expectations I would definitely try out Tale of Two Cities as well!

Louise (last edited Jun 13, 2013 02:41AM ) Jun 13, 2013 02:40AM   0 votes
8th grade, does that make you 13 or 14 years old? If so, seeing as you like Jane Eyre, try Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

Such a shame you are not allowed to read Harry Potter.

Think about Sarah Dessens's book. I've (unfortunately) only read one, but I really liked it. :)

Look for Lois Lowry or Judy Blume. You might like those.

//claire Thanks, all! I know how hard it is to find books that fit the above criteria.
Jun 13, 2013 01:26PM · flag

Neil Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book" is charming. It's a bit creepy and supernatural - you mentioned you like "The Night Circus". Gaiman writes books for both young children and adults. If you like "The Graveyard Book", he has several others for your age: Stardust and Neverwhere come to mind.

I'm 14 and just left the 8th grade and I think a great author that's good for 8th grade would be Darby Karchut. I've read two of her books from her Griffin series and I loved them! She's also a lovely person. I notice some classics in your list so I also suggest Wuthering Heights and Of Mice and Men. Alyson Noel's series Immortals is a favorite of mine, but not everyone's cup of tea. I hope you find a good book! Happy reading!

matt (last edited Jun 12, 2013 11:11PM ) Jun 11, 2013 08:38PM   -1 votes