Bookworm Buddies discussion

Genres > Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by GeneralTHC (last edited Jun 11, 2013 02:13PM) (new)

GeneralTHC I have a hankering to read a fantasy book, which is kind of odd because I rarely read fantasy. Anyway, would someone recommend some good books?

A few I liked:

Stonefather
The Wind Through the Keyhole
His Dark Materials

message 2: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Chuck wrote: "I have a hankering to read a fantasy book, which is kind of odd because I rarely read fantasy. Anyway, would someone recommend some good books?

A few I liked:

Stonefather
The Wind Through the Ke..."

Stonefather sounds pretty interesting.:)

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan farnworth (tweetybugshouse) i am currently reading the mortal instruments series.Really looking forward to the new Terry Brooks book next month.

message 5: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Hayes | 15 comments The Dark Elf series by RA Salvatore is just amazing...been reading them for about 20 years now. It helps to be a little familiar with the Forgotten Realms setting but not entirely necessary. The first book is Homeland (and one of the best)

Homeland

message 6: by Dustin (last edited Jun 13, 2013 01:07PM) (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Jeremy wrote: "The Dark Elf series by RA Salvatore is just amazing...been reading them for about 20 years now. It helps to be a little familiar with the Forgotten Realms setting but not entirely necessary. The fi..."

I've heard positive things about RA Salvatore. Thank you, Jeremy!

Homeland sounds interesting.:)

message 7: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Courtney wrote: "Watership Down! ;)

I like my fantasy dark:
The Child Thief
The Book of Lost Things
The Talisman"

These sound wonderful, Courtney, thank you!!

message 8: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Jeremy wrote: "The Dark Elf series by RA Salvatore is just amazing...been reading them for about 20 years now. It helps to be a little familiar with the Forgotten Realms setting but not entirely necessary. The fi..."

Thanks Jeremy.

message 9: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Courtney wrote: "Watership Down! ;)

I like my fantasy dark:
The Child Thief
The Book of Lost Things
The Talisman"

Thanks Courtney. I just got Watership Down!

message 10: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Jan wrote: "i am currently reading the mortal instruments series.Really looking forward to the new Terry Brooks book next month."

This must be super popular, I'm running into this everywhere. Thanks Jan.

message 11: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Dustin wrote: "Chuck wrote: "I have a hankering to read a fantasy book, which is kind of odd because I rarely read fantasy. Anyway, would someone recommend some good books?

A few I liked:

Stonefather
The Wind ..."

You should check it out, Dustin, I bet you'll like it.

message 12: by Jan (new)

Jan farnworth (tweetybugshouse) Their a movie coming August 25 that why your hearing so much

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (shelld79) | 92 comments I would recommend Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) by Terry Goodkind or Dawnthief (Chronicles of the Raven, #1) by James Barclay as they are the first books in two of my all time favourite fantasy series.

message 14: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Michelle wrote: "I would recommend Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) by Terry Goodkind or Dawnthief (Chronicles of the Raven, #1) by James Barclay as they are the first books in two of my all time favourite fantasy series."

I've actually had the Terry Goodkind audiobook for a few years but I've never listened to it. The other one sounds good too. Thanks Michelle.

message 15: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Hayes | 15 comments Dustin wrote: "I've heard positive things about RA Salvatore. Thank you, Jeremy!

Homeland sounds interesting.:)"

Yeah Salvatore is an amazing writer and the great thing about his Dark Elf series is that I believe there is about 26 books in total now...so if you enjoy Homeland you have a lot of good reading left to go. Sometimes I wish I could erase my memory and read them all over again ha ha.

message 16: by Jan (new)

Jan farnworth (tweetybugshouse) So for the dark elf series do you need to read other stuff to enjoy it or can ya just dive right in. Does any one have it to loan?

message 17: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Janie Johnson | 13984 comments Mod
Jan I am looking forward to the first of the Mortal instruments, I am reading it come July for a buddy read, Hub loved the series. So I am hopeful. He tends to be pretty critical on books, so if he liked it I am reassured even though I am not a fantasy buff at all.

message 18: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Hayes | 15 comments Jan wrote: "So for the dark elf series do you need to read other stuff to enjoy it or can ya just dive right in. Does any one have it to loan?"

Jan, the dark elf series is set in the Forgotten Realms world but you don't really need to read other stuff to understand the story. Basically a Dungeons and Dragons world, with all those types of monsters populating it. Being familiar with that stuff helps, but not entirely necessary. Homeland really is a great read, it will get you hooked.

message 19: by Jan (new)

Jan farnworth (tweetybugshouse) Thanks I check my local library and hope they have it

message 20: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Chuck wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Chuck wrote: "I have a hankering to read a fantasy book, which is kind of odd because I rarely read fantasy. Anyway, would someone recommend some good books?

A few I liked:

Stonef..."

I think I would, too. Thank you, Chuck. Orson Scott Card's a great writer, too!:)

message 21: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Jeremy wrote: "Dustin wrote: "I've heard positive things about RA Salvatore. Thank you, Jeremy!

Homeland sounds interesting.:)"

Yeah Salvatore is an amazing writer and the great thing about his Dark Elf seri..."

Yeah, that is awesome, Jeremy! Thank you, again.

message 22: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Chuck wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I would recommend Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) by Terry Goodkind or Dawnthief (Chronicles of the Raven, #1) by James Barclay as they are the first books in two of my all time favourite fantasy series."

I've actually..."

I agree, Terry Goodkind is a great writer.

Reading books at Home!! | 5 comments I would recommend 500% This:

The Scorpion's Sting by J.D. Masterson first in the series and has "WON 3 AWARDS"
it's the best of Best Suspense Novel!

message 24: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Gurria wrote: "I would recommend 500% This:

The Scorpion's Sting by J.D. Masterson first in the series and has "WON 3 AWARDS"
it's the best of Best Suspense Novel!"

Then should be listed in the Suspense section rather than the Fantasy.

message 25: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Gurria wrote: "I would recommend 500% This:

it's the best of Best Suspense Novel!"

Then should be listed in the..."

Hmm, this sounds interesting. Thank you, Gurria.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Raymond Feist is another good Fantasy author. His Magician: The Aprentice Magician Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1) by Raymond E. Feist is the start of a very good fantasy series, The Rift War Saga.

message 27: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I just read an AWESOME fantasy book: The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1) by Peter V. Brett !

Been years since I read a fiction story I got this into. When fantasy is good it's awesome.

message 28: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Thanks Chuck, I'm definitely going to check it out.

message 29: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Glad you found one to enjoy Chuck!

message 30: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 12 comments If you're still looking Bound, Something Witchy This Way Comes, and Elfin are all really great books you can try. I hope you find something you like!

message 31: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments My good friend and fellow GR fanatic, Cheryl, recently brought The Dragonbone Chair to my attention.:)

message 32: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I am quite enjoying the Iron Fey series myself. Ready for book 3. It has great world building with great imagery and some pretty unforgettable characters.

message 33: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "I am quite enjoying the Iron Fey series myself. Ready for book 3. It has great world building with great imagery and some pretty unforgettable characters."

Janie, I'm so glad you're enjoying the series, especially knowing that fantasy isn't really your genre.

message 34: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments The Iron King sounds interesting.:)

message 35: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Oct 29, 2014 03:07PM) (new)

The world building is fantastic in this series. I love the characters so much. I enjoy these because they are not high fantasy, and I find them easy to read and follow. Maybe some day you can give them a go Dustin.

message 36: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments I'm intrigued, so I'm sure I'll give the 1st book a go someday. Thankee, Janie!

message 37: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments I am getting really antsy to dive into a great fantasy novel!

message 38: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments Dustin wrote: "I am getting really antsy to dive into a great fantasy novel!"

I wish you could read The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss with us next month buddy!

message 39: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments I can try, but I plan on starting Infinite Jest ASAP, plus I wouldn't mind squeezing in a couple shorter books before January.

message 40: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments Do you have a copy of it? I'm really excited for this one; it sounds so awesome!! I also bought the second one. :)

I'd like to find a good sci-fi novel to dive into. I haven't read much sci-fi, and I'd like to start.

message 41: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments No, but I can check the library. If they don't have a copy, I can always put a hold on it. That's how I got Girl With Curious Hair.

How about The Bone Clocks? Sai King said that has some sci-fi elements to it.

message 42: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments That'd be cool. If you can, you should. :)

It's already on my TBR. :)

message 43: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments I will try!

You should give that one a go, then. It sounds amazing, I really want to try Mitchell's work soon!

message 44: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments :)

I plan on it as soon as I'm able to get a copy.

message 45: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is a great fantasy read guys, I need to read the next one! Hopefully soon.

message 46: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Daughter of Smoke and Bone is a great fantasy read guys, I need to read the next one! Hopefully soon."

Thankee, Janie.

Hopefully you can get a copy soon, Holly!

message 47: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments I might be reading The Name of the Wind next month, as a buddy read with Holly and others in another group.

message 48: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hall | 516 comments I'm still planning on reading The Dragonbone Chair sometime in the next couple of months.

I'm also reading The World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones which I suppose counts as a fantasy book

message 49: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I plan on reading Days of Blood & Starlight soon myself, such a great series.

message 50: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Yep, I'm all about buddying up with you on The Dragonbone Chair, Cheryl.:)

« previous 1