Women Who Love Books Too Much discussion

Welcome to everyone!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 48 comments Mod
I have noticed that several people have joined and that is FABULOUS! I am not very good at keeping up daily because of my work schedule (which makes me more or less like everyone here ...) But I do enjoy your posts. Please do so whenever you can, and maybe we can recommend books to each other!

I am reading "The Giver" (Lois Lowry) again. I teach a Children's Literature class at the college where I work, and I always use this book as part of the curriculum. It ALWAYS draws me right in, and of course, it is a quick read. It is a much-banned book as well, which makes it just that much more desirable to me.

Has anyone else read it?

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice Gold (alicewgold) Read it, enjoyed it somewhat. I hated the end!!! I would have had a totally different end, but maybe that is because I live in a more optomistic world.

message 3: by Rachel (last edited Feb 07, 2008 12:52PM) (new)

Rachel I really liked the Giver as well. I read it while I was student teaching in 6th grade a few years ago. I really dig sci-fi so this book was really up my ally. I also remember being disappointed by the ending.

Another fantastic book about an alternative future is City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. It's about the same grade level as The Giver. I couldn't put it down the first time I read it!

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie (HockeyGoddess) | 2 comments Cathy -- Hello! I just joined this group yesterday and wanted to let you know that it was your enthusiasm that drew me in!

I also have recently joined a group with the goal of reading 100 books in 2008. I love to read so much that I hope I can do it, but I have so many constraints on my time that it will certainly be a challenge.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. I look forward to sharing my favorites with you & hearing suggestions from all of you ladies. Until then...happy reading!!

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 48 comments Mod
YAY! welcome katie.
100 books for this year???
We have had others making that goal also. I have to say, go for it, baby. I know (think) that I couldn't do that.
p.s. are you my daughter-in-law, the mother of the two most gorgeous grandchildren on earth?

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie (HockeyGoddess) | 2 comments Cathy -- Sorry, I'm not a relative of yours (at least not that I know of!! *L*)...and no kiddies here! But thanks for the warm welcome!