Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion

Angry Dumbledoor, your thoughts

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dakota Griffin So it's no secret that Michael Gambon plays the role of Dumbledoor rather, hostile...

HARRYR DID U PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FYRREE!! DID U ASK AN OLDER STUDENT TO DO IT!!!?!?!?!?!?!?

DON'T U ALL HAVE STUDYING TO BE DOING!?!?!

In the books, he's not nearly this hostile or angry, but I actually liked how he was in the movies, Richard Harris was way too old to be playing Dumbledoor IMO, he was a frail old man, and not how I pictured him in the books. There's no way he could have done or acted properly with some of the scenes in the later books.

I prefer Gambon by a mile, and he has some of the best quotes ever. He was very stern, but you could tell he was someone you didn't want to mess with.

Luna Belle Pris Gambon makes Me angry. You can' t talk to Harry that way.
Harry Potter? HARRY POTTER!!!!!!! WHAAAA!

message 3: by Felicia (new) - added it

Felicia I thought it was terrible. Definitely terrible. Especially since he in the book asks Harry "calmly", according to the words by J.K. Rowling herself(see chapter 17).

But we really can't blame Gambon. No, he's not as good as Richard Harris, but he's doing a proper job. The yelling can't have been his fault. Anybody who know anything about film-making would know that it must have been the director's choice. Blame him.

Tompopaageo Dakota wrote: "So it's no secret that Michael Gambon plays the role of Dumbledoor rather, hostile...

HARRYR DID U PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FYRREE!! DID U ASK AN OLDER STUDENT TO DO IT!!!?!?!?!?!?!?

DON'T U ..."

Haha I'm now imagining Dumbledore saying this with a Jamaican accent!

I remember taking my daughter to see the film when it first came out and thought 'whoa there' he doesn't go on like that in the book. Clearly a directorial decision, but it felt out of place, considering he's so nurturing and trusting of Harry in the books.

Jeni I like Michael Gambon. I feel like this "darker" Dumbledore is more fitting to the serious turn in the series.

When watching the movies, we have to remember that the visual medium is different from a written one. The nuances in text must be acted for us to see. So, to me, the serious turn the books take (starting in book three-for me anyway) is aptly portrayed through the acting of Gambon and others.

In the books, Dumbledore says more, does more, and implies more for our minds to infer the seriousness of events and we can build suspense that way. In movies, the only way to do that is with dramatic acting and music cues.

The first two movies are lighter-we're just getting a sense of newness and wonder and adventure and Richard Harris was brilliant as the nurturing headmaster. When he unfortunately passed away and they brought in Gambon, the stories coincidentally became more serious. I think Gambon's Dumbledore was a brilliant choice to pull us into the darker parts of the stories just perfectly.

My two cents :)

message 6: by Somerandom (last edited Jun 14, 2013 10:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Somerandom Personally I prefer Harris. Those who say he couldn't have pulled off the action don't know much about Harris and his dedication to his craft. He was actually a real hellraiser in real life and a total badass. In his battle (in the book) with Voldy he just hsort of stands there as the frustrated Voldy throws everything he's got and is still defeated. It would have been so cool if Harris just took him down like a boss with a grin on his face. Like one of those really ancient looking people in a martial arts movie suddenly kicking ass with ease.

Gambon is a very fine actor but it wasn't until HBP that I accepted him as Dumbledore. He just seemed so screamy and angry. If he had added a few more gentle scenes I wouldn't have minded so much. Also he never read the book so it shows. Though the director is more to blame. Also wtf is up with his drab boring outfit? A little splash of color wouldn't have hurt. Hate his costume. But that's just my opinion.