Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Group Business > South African paper names it's top 10 African Writers

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William (be2lieve) | 1204 comments Mod
I've read six of them...I'll need to find out more about the four others.

http://www.citypress.co.za/lifestyle/...

message 2: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments A great list!

message 3: by jo (new)

jo | 1031 comments i've read three.

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Schuckel Andrews (kschuckel) | 1 comments I teach American literature to 11th graders and World Literature to 12th graders at Lawrence Central High School in Indianapolis. I have the opportunity to order books this summer (paperback is best). I want to include much more literary fiction by people of color, particularly African Americans for my 11th graders. What titles do you suggest? (My library is pretty diverse with black authors who have best-selling books; I'm looking for new names and books with protagonists who are teenagers..) Thank you in advance. I have already learned a lot from reading other entries that will enhance my library and my reading.

message 5: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3618 comments Mod
So many incredible books, authors from the African diaspora that it's simply hard to keep track of them. Such a good problem to have, however. At the same time I was reading through this list, I came across this book receiving a lot of buzz. Has anyone read it or familiar with it? Love Is Power, or Something Like That: Stories by A. Igoni Barrett

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2852 comments Mod
Columbus wrote: "So many incredible books, authors from the African diaspora that it's simply hard to keep track of them. Such a good problem to have, however. At the same time I was reading through this list, I ca..."

Yes, so very hard to keep up. I have Barrett's book on my tbr list for the summer. There are just so many really good books being released this spring/summer.

message 7: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2852 comments Mod
William wrote: "I've read six of them...I'll need to find out more about the four others.

http://www.citypress.co.za/lifestyle/..."

Thanks for sharing this article.
I have read 8 of them. So two more I need to explore.

message 8: by William (new)

William (be2lieve) | 1204 comments Mod
Kathleen wrote: "I teach American literature to 11th graders and World Literature to 12th graders at Lawrence Central High School in Indianapolis. I have the opportunity to order books this summer (paperback is bes..."

There are over 300 posts in the Read and Recommended thread..and our members are pretty smart so you could start your search there, Kathleen. And each of our monthly poll winners has been decidedly above average...and many members have posted links such as this one with "best of" lists. As far as YA heroes...I find the SciFi/fantasy/folklore genre most YA friendly of which many writers of color excel. T. Due, S. Barnes, O. Butler, K. Lord, N. Hopkinson, just to name a few.