This topic is about Cinder
Archives > Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh | 14697 comments Mod
We will start tomorrow.

message 2: by Christie (new) - added it

Christie Rich | 335 comments Oh, I wish I had time for this one. I've heard great things. Happy reading to everyone!

message 3: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maybe next time, Christie.

Rebecca Leigh are we reading a set schedule or our own pace?

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Enjoy! Awesome read!!

message 6: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (last edited Jun 11, 2013 04:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rebecca wrote: "Leigh are we reading a set schedule or our own pace?"

Sheri and I have the audio book. It is 8 parts so we were going to do 2 parts/ day. You can go at your own pace if you want.

message 7: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri | 12008 comments Mod
I think it is about 8 chapters a day, but that is just a best guess. There are 38 chapters and 8 parts...each part would be about 4 chapters.

message 8: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

I downloaded the audio from the library.

Michael I just finished this last week so I will comment along! I am on hold at my library for the sequel.

Rebecca Wonderful. I read your comment and hope you would participate and was glad to know you enjoyed it.

message 11: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (last edited Jun 12, 2013 04:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

This ia an interesting take on the Cinderalla theme. Instead of mice, there are androids and cyborgs. I love Iko! Cinder is going to be an interesting character.

Rebecka I really liked this book! I can't wait for the third one

Carina | 262 comments I read this book at the beginning of the month. Hope you chaps enjoy it - it is as Leigh said an interesting take on the more traditional story and from looking at the sequel this idea continues on throughout the books.

message 14: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Some days I hate GR. I just wrote a long message and it didn't save. Let's see if I can remember it now :)

Through chapter 12 - I like the story so far. I haven't really gotten a good feel for Cinder yet. I like her, but I don't love her. Her character is still sort of a mystery.

Have you guys caught the other fairy tale references? Twice (that I caught) Cinder was called different fairy tale character names, I believe both times by the doctor (don't quote me on that because I don't remember the exact scenes)...Once he called her Sleeping Beauty and once he called her something else, which I can't remember at the moment. I also read in someone's review that there are Star Wars references throughout the book - being a huge SW fan I will have to keep my eye out for those.

The only downside I see so far is that I think I have the main plot line figured out already. It was very blatantly set up...maybe that's how it is supposed to be? However, I because I like the writing and the story is different, I think I will still enjoy it.

message 15: by Tam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tam Linsey (tamlinsey) | 7 comments Sheri wrote: "The only downside I see so far is that I think I have the main plot line figured out already. ..."

The plot is fairly transparent, but the journey is fun to tag along on. And it is a fairy tale, so we can assume we know how it will end :)

I listened to this on audio and truly loved it. Some other people have complained it is a rip-off of Sailor Moon, but I'm not familiar with that story, so Cinder was fresh for me.

message 16: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tam wrote: "And it is a fairy tale, so we can assume we know how it will end :)"

Lol, yes I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. I guess I was referring more to the fact that I know who she is and where she came from, which I would expect to have been kept a surprise until the end.

I know Sailor Moon (the TV show, though, not the Manga), and I don't really see many parallels. Maybe the show was different than the comics...

Carina | 262 comments Tam wrote: "Sheri wrote: "The only downside I see so far is that I think I have the main plot line figured out already. ..."

The plot is fairly transparent, but the journey is fun to tag along on. And it is ..."

I actually commented in my review of how the book reminded me of Sailor Moon. I would in no way say it was a rip-off or that there are any particularly major similarities apart from an odd name here and there and (view spoiler)

Side note: Sheri - the manga Sailor Moon has the same plots as the anime though they do tend to come across very differently. The manga shows the characters age more as they become more mature whilst the TV show doesn't as much.

message 18: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Jun 12, 2013 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks for the clarification :)

The show was one of my daughter's favorites when she was younger, so I have seen most of the episodes - more than once.

Carina | 262 comments Sheri wrote: "Thanks for the clarification :)

The show was one of my daughter's favorites when she was younger, so I have seen most of the episodes - more than once."

No worries, it was my favorite show when I was younger and I now own all the episodes and am just waiting for the last of the manga to be re-released.

I imagine it is only people who have read/seen a lot of Sailor Moon who will see elements of it in this book.

message 20: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

I haven't watched Sailor Moon. What is the package or whatever it was called that the Dr. found in her? Sheri, are you thinking Cinder is the (view spoiler) Why is she so special? She hasn't gotten the plague.

message 21: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Jun 12, 2013 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "I haven't watched Sailor Moon. What is the package or whatever it was called that the Dr. found in her? Sheri, are you thinking Cinder is the [spoilers removed] Why is she so special? She hasn't go..."

Yes to your spoiler, Leigh. Everything else is probably related to that somehow...why she is special, why she is immune, etc. (view spoiler) I guess we will find out more later :)

message 22: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am interested to see what happens next.

message 23: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cinder is not Disney's version of Cinderella more like Drew Barrymore in Ever After. I like her backbone. The Luna Queen is some kind of evil. She has to be behind the plague.

message 24: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Jun 13, 2013 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "She has to be behind the plague."

I was wondering that, too.

I never saw Ever After.

message 25: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

It is a very good version of the Cinderella story. You need to check it out.

message 26: by Tasha (new) - added it

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 116 comments Ever After was the best version of Cinderella ever. She was one badass... It may be my favorite movie ever. LOL

Hi gang wish I was reading cinder with you I've read the beginning and my husband assures me I'd love it but I'm so behind on getting reviews up and reading what I have from library/netgalley/friends I'm swamped.

But I'm enjoying the discussion!

message 27: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miss you, Tasha. Hopefully you can join us soon.

message 28: by Rebecca (last edited Jun 13, 2013 08:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rebecca I love Ever After too that is a great comparison. I also like IKO. So far Cinder hasn't developed much. I loved that Cinder is a mechanic for the fact that she is a cyborg but also goes against gender sterotype.

message 29: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rebecca wrote: " So far Cinder hasn't developed much."

I agree. Though I like her character, I don't absolutely love her, simply because we aren't really given enough of her personality. We know that she is selfless and cares for her family, but that's about it.

message 30: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Queen is evil!!! She gives Ki the antidote for one adult male right after the death of his father. She is looking for total world domination. Who messed with Ki's android?

message 31: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

It's interesting how the androids are human like. Cinder's android (I can't remember her name now - Iko?) seems to want to be human - she wants to dress up and go to the ball plus she has a crush on the prince.

Rebecca I was confused at the sibling relations Pearl and Peony are from Andri a marriage different from Cinder? Is IKO a sister too? I didn't pick up that she was and android.
What is the difference between cyborg and android?

message 33: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cyborg is human with mechanical parts.
android is all machine.

Rebecca Thank you Leigh. So Dr. E has turned her into an android?

message 35: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (last edited Jun 15, 2013 01:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cinder is a cyborg and Iko is her android with a cute personality.
Discrimination is everywhere in this book. They treat the cyborgs as slaves and they hate lunars. Cinder doesn't like the discrimination but she does the same thing to the lunars.

message 36: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rebecca wrote: "I was confused at the sibling relations Pearl and Peony are from Andri a marriage different from Cinder? Is IKO a sister too? I didn't pick up that she was and android.
What is the difference bet..."

Cinder was adopted, so she is not Andri's actual child.

message 37: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

Even though the outcome is predictable, I enjoyed the read. I will read Scarlet to see what will happen next.

Poor Iko!

message 38: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "Poor Iko!"

I know, that was the saddest part of the whole book...well maybe and (view spoiler) :(

I liked it, too, even though it was predictable. There was enough thrown in to keep it interesting.

Rebecca Wow you too are fast. I am still reading. Predictable but I think very clever and the few lines were quite fun. I will look forward to reading Scarlett too.

message 40: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

I also really like Kai. I like his sarcasm - even when he has to bite it back.

Michael Yeah, I found myself liking all of the characters. Even the stepmother/sisters acted in complicated ways, not one dimensional. (Or at least in the stepmother's case, her one dimension varied from stuck up to psycho.)

It's funny a lot of people seemed to have the same reaction: predictable but fun and want to read the sequel. That was my experience, too. Still, I couldn't believe that (view spoiler)

message 42: by Rebecca (last edited Jun 17, 2013 05:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rebecca I havent felt that way. But I have been reading other books too. One that was a hold your breathe, heart pounder.
I am going to give this my full attention and see if my experience changes. Good points Michael and I agree about the step mother and sisters too.

Michael It's true I haven't been reading any heart-pounder's lately. Maybe what I mean is that it seemed like she kept it going with little surprises during each chapter.

Michael Just found this list of Cinder discussion questions at http://www.marissameyer.com/books/dis..., in case anyone wants to tackle them. (They contain spoilers...)

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Rebecca (last edited Jun 18, 2013 07:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rebecca I think that now too Michael. This is morbid but since the Prince Kai's father's death the storyline for me is picking up. True about the little surprises in each chapter certainly does give it good points. I think the idea for the storyline as well was brilliant. I really like question #3 as it is the one I have most thought about. I be able to access information like that would great. With all the ways your privacy everywhere can be invaded you wonder if eventually technology will become like that. I also like the injections of themes like immigration and glamour.

message 46: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Jun 18, 2013 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Are you up for Scarlet sometime soon?

message 47: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 4 stars

How about we start after we finish Goddess Inheritance?

The Angry Lawn Gnome (mostlyharmlessreviews) How odd. This book is currently a featured read at another GR group I'm a member of...when I saw the notification I was surprised to find myself at SU&R.

message 49: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

I love those discussion questions.

message 50: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "How about we start after we finish Goddess Inheritance?"

I'm pretty sure Alyssia wanted to read this with us, too.

« previous 1