Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Dark Escape: Tales of Arabella
This topic is about Dark Escape
Fantasy > When Epic Fantasy becomes Science Fiction

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Aaron Gee (aaron_gee) | 13 comments I am in the process of rolling out a new book series: "Tales of Arabella". The first installment, DARK ESCAPE, is a Scifi/Fantasy hybrid. It has elements that would normally classify it as a Fantasy Epic (due to length), but there is no magic. All plot points are explained using science based solutions, as opposed to magic. I believe I have done a decent mashup, but I would love to know your thoughts on the matter.

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 136 comments I love mixing of science and magic--one of my favorite authors is Anne McCafferey, who does this with her Pern novels. I'm also working on a new series (first book out next year) where magic is broken down essentially into abilities to affect things like electromagnetism and light waves.

Are you looking for reviewers? I'd be interested in taking a look. I also do reviews and interviews on my blog. http://judygoodwin.wordpress.com

message 3: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments I do interviews as well.

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Cardin | 50 comments I did not make magic and science mutually exclusive. My books are firmly entrenched in the fantasy genre, but I have done my best to obey physical laws.

That said, I don't have any high tech in the world. Not yet anyways.

message 5: by Allen (new)

Allen Stroud | 4 comments Of course, bookshops and readers decide what goes in what genre on their shelves, but authors also have some ways to categorise what they are writing.

Science Fiction makes use of Novums to further the plot. Brian Stableford Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction is a pretty good read on defining the subject as is Lisa Tuttle . Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction

When Novums aren't used and the plot device remains less rationalised and defined, it usually drops into a subgenre or mix between things.

I wrote a blog post on this a little while back: http://www.allenstroud.com/2013/02/wr...