Reading Between Covers discussion

Their Eyes Were Watching God
This topic is about Their Eyes Were Watching God
Thoughts Between the Covers > Their Eyes Were Watching God - Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ebony (quietstorm08) | 142 comments Mod
Just starting this book today....I saw the movie years ago. Hope the book is better.

Tina | 48 comments Mod
The books are always better! I'm excited

Nadia (bagambo) I read this one years ago, but still remember what an amazing book it was. Am thinking I should re-read it.

I've only read two chapters but it's been slightly difficult for me to grasp the book so far..... Hopefully it changes.

Tina | 48 comments Mod
Seen the movie a few times and becoming one of my favs..I'm only a few chp in the book so far. And I like that it explained the background of Jeanie and her gma bc I wondered y she was so quick to marry her off and now I'm understanding y. And I'm beginning to wonder if she has voodoo roots or native american hertigae or sumtn with this extra heighten sense of the earth n it's surroundings...the slave talk is a bit hard to understand at first...will see how it goes

I think the southern slave slang is what is making it hard for me to grasp too... but i will keep reading!

Brandi Wamsley | 52 comments I have never seen the movie, but so far the book is enjoyable. The hardest part is the slang and the double narration. The author narrates the book in the third person as well as the first person view as Janie. It wouldn't be as distracting if both narraters used the same form of English, but switching back and forth between slang and proper English pulls me out of the story.

I totally agree with the double narration. Let's hope as we go on, we start not to notice it! :)

I haven't seen the movie in so long, I don't even remember anything but Michael Ealy right now. So far, I hate the fact that Janie seems unhappy again with her second marriage to Joe.

The last converation between Janie and Joe was a tought one to read! I know they didnt have the best relationship but for Joe near death the coversation should have been at least a little less forced, angry and mean!....

message 11: by Liza (new)

Liza | 35 comments I just picked this book up at Goodwill. I haven't started it yet, but if it has southern slang like Roots, it may take me awhile to read it to.

Another Goodwill book shopper! :) I just got introduced to the world of Book shopping there, THANKS TINA! and the prices are GREAT! I hope you enjoy it, keep us posted on your thoughts! The first chapter will be hard to get past, but after a while, you will start understanding them better! ENJOY!

Brandi Wamsley | 52 comments Well this book is turning out to be on the depressing side of things. I totally agree Ebony, Joe's sudden anger and hatred at the end of his life doesn't make sense to me. It wasn't a conversation you would think would happen between two people when one of them was dying.

Brandi Wamsley | 52 comments And even if I hated my husband I think I would be a little sadder after his death.

Ashley | 10 comments I was raised in Mississippi so reading the southern slang was easier for me. It may help if you read aloud when you have trouble. This may be a spoiler so if you haven't read about the angry dying husband be wary. If I'm remembering correctly, I think he gets suddenly mean because she insults him in front of the men of the town, she basically says he's old and sagging. He's furious with her for embarrassing him in front of the town.

I agree with you to Brandi! The book seems quite depressing, I have seemed to feel sorry for Janie to whole book, even after meeting Tea Cakes, there isn't a real since of joy....

Ashley, that is exactly what happened! But even in death, you can at least be pleasant! They seems so hateful!

Pamela Getz (honeylight) | 7 comments Oh all I can say us keep reading!! I don't want to spoil anything until you all have finished. ;)

Brandi Wamsley | 52 comments All I can day is wow. It's worth finishing.

Ashley | 10 comments Well, they got married because they fell in love in a day. Then when they spent years together they learned they weren't too fond of each other. They treated each other awfully out of spite. A lot of people have one person in this world, or have felt about someone for a little while this way, that they wouldn't pee on if they were on fire. That was pretty much the point she reached in her first two marriages. I'm not saying that what she did was right, just that I can understand it. Hate and love are powerful emotions and people are often shocked by what they enable them to do.

message 21: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina | 48 comments Mod
Ok catching up on my discussion...I'm not very fond of joe. I kinda liked him at 1st when he first took Janie away from the Ol man but it seems like he loves the praise and statue of the ppl indeed of the love an affection from his wife. It seemed like he has the stereotype of wut a woman shoul or shouldn't be doing...I really dislike the fact for him to have such an ego that he would be so jealous by Sumone touching his wife hair. Clearly this was one of the reasons he got with her n the 1st place was bc of her beauty and for him to take it out on Janie was absurd. And I understand the whole concept of pickn and choosing ur fights but it seemed like Janie just gave up all together and let the best years if her life past her by....I feel sorry for her and yet I can relate also of feeling like "I guess this is it for me and dreaming of something else grand and wonderful I guess that knight and shining armor and realizing that ur just living in a fanstany world....I like tea cake and I like how he makes her feel like a young teenager again. I love that she has butterflies for him and has that 1st time of being in love and having someone to be in love with you...can't wait to see wut else happens

I finally finished this book! I wasn't as impressed as most, but I thought it was ok. The ending I wasn't expecting, but what I did like was that it wasn't a draw out story with too much plain narrative. It got to the point, and moved on. I hated what happened to her husband, and that she still ended up alone!

Brandi Wamsley | 52 comments I was surprised that I ended up really liking it. At first a lot of things annoyed me, but I think without all of that her finding love in the end wouldn't have meant as much. I'm a big baby, so I cried at the end. :)

message 24: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina | 48 comments Mod
Finished the book. I liked it.im happy Janie found the true love she was searching for. I didn't like the fact that tea cake beat her to prove a point to Sumone else. And I felt bad for her having waited all those years and failed marriages to have to kill ur one true love I can't imagine that at all...and another thing that really disturb me was the separation of black and white bodies for mass graves and caskets.

Brandi Wamsley | 52 comments The burials disturbed me too. It bothered me that it seemed that there was no way to fight back against it. It was like they just had to accept it. I know I personally hate the feeling of being helpless against injustice, I can't even begin to imagine how it would feel to be in that situation. I would be so angry.