Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Forest Dark
This topic is about The Forest Dark
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Adding New Books > Please add book to author page

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim | 2 comments My new book "The Forest Dark" is in the goodreads db but I can't add it to my author page. Can you please assist with that? Many many thanks, Jim Arnold

message 2: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (hilarywithonel) | 40 comments Done!

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim | 2 comments thank you so much! Have a great one . . .

message 4: by Marsha (last edited Jun 11, 2013 12:14PM) (new)

Marsha (queenboadicea) | 29 comments I made a mistake. But I need help correcting it.

In 2006, I created a number of books for my publisher. Since I used characters created by her, I had to cede copyright over to her as agreement for my payment.

My first book was printed in hard copy and I got a few copies for myself to keep or give away as it suited me. Then she decided that print copies for her authors was too expensive. We got paid but she listed our books for sale as e-books and we had to be content with that.

Now in 2013 after making several revisions to one of my novels written for her, I decided to take advantage of Espresso Book Machines and have one of them printed up, complete with cover, copyright page, title page, etc.

I didn't bother with an ISBN. I hadn't notified her of my intention and I can't sell the book on my own. Also, getting an ISBN would have entailed an additional charge and it would only have been good at the particular bookstore where I got the book created. Therefore, I decided an ISBN was a needless expense.

I had the book added to Goodreads and managed to do so even without an ISBN. Here's where the problems arose.

I added the book under my nom de plume and so the author page has no corresponding details. I also can't add any because I lack librarian status. I don't want that burden because I don't have the dedication nor skills for it.

Also, I had ten copies of the book printed up in the naive notion of offering them for women interested in this particular genre AND in the hopes of giving them away as part of a GoodReads giveaway. But there's a problem there, as well. While the website allowed me to list the book without an ISBN, I can't list it as part of a GoodReads giveaway without that information.

So those are the problems in a nutshell. I need to have the book listed on my Author Page, yet somehow keep the nom de plume...or keep the book under the nom de plume but have myself listed as the author. So confusing. I also want to be able to give away a copy or copies as part of the giveaway without the book having an ISBN. I would appreciate any help with this.

message 5: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (hilarywithonel) | 40 comments I can change the "Author" field to have the pseudonym appropriately labeled and add your real name - that way it should show up on your author page. Which book is it?

I don't know how to make the giveaway work. You might want to start a new thread for that.

message 6: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Rainey (risingdragonslit) | 1 comments My book The Crimson Clan is in the Goodreads DB and I would like a request to add it to the author page of David R Bennett at goodreads.com/drb2031

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41450 comments Mod
Fixed #6. Please keep in mind when manually adding books that your author name must match EXACTLY, including the period after the R.

It gets confusing when a thread linked to a specific book is also used for other books. I am closing this thread. Start new ones for other books.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.